They finally made it!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the diff between the V140's and the Classic 120's?
I had a pair of those and liked them a lot...

I don't know if it's as much sensitivities as compatibility.

All of the newer ML's with their .7 ohm impedance way up at 20k, seems to have a profound effect on the high end of the speakers sound. Some tube amplifiers mate with them ok and others do not.

Some people may like the mellowness of that combination, which is evident by the number of people who really like the McIntosh MC275 with their speakers.

Tube amplifiers are always more sensitive to mating with speakers (Period) because they have a much higher output impedance than a SS design.

My advice is always to try the amp in question with your speakers to see if you like the net effect.

I am still wondering what this means...

It's listed in amp specs: How much voltage required to drive the amp to full output. The idea is to try to match amp sensitivities so that if you are bi-amping, both amps respond in the same fashion.

Let's say you are using a cd player and a passive volume control. Those devices work best with a high, (low voltage) spec. Therefore, the output of the cd player is driving the amp.

Last edited:
It's listed in amp specs: How much voltage required to drive the amp to full output. The idea is to try to match amp sensitivities so that if you are bi-amping, both amps respond in the same fashion.

Let's say you are using a cd player and a passive volume control. Those devices work best with a high, (low voltage) spec. Therefore, the output of the cd player is driving the amp.

Im still not sure I grasp this. Are you talking about older ML's that do not have powered woofers?

The current ones do, so there is no point in bi amping them....

Soz - missed it earlier - the CJ amp I was talking about was the 350. I heard the V140 when the Aerius came out, so we are talking a long time ago. But it was absolutely brilliant driving them. When I actually got a brand new pair of Aerius at home in my lounge, I was itching for the V140s, as the amp I had at the time was nowhere near it. But at £9K at the time, they were extremely expensive! The Aerius was £2,200.

And Sunday, I thought you meant something completely different with your "beware of amp sensitivities" post. I thought you were refering to people's sensitivity to different designs, and how they will sometimes stand behind designs that you may not like yourself, or how you are puzzled as to how they even think they are anything less than bad or truly awful sounding!

Last edited:
Soz - missed it earlier - the CJ amp I was talking about was the 350. I heard the V140 when the Aerius came out, so we are talking a long time ago. But it was absolutely brilliant driving them. When I actually got a brand new pair of Aerius at home in my lounge, I was itching for the V140s, as the amp I had at the time was nowhere near it. But at £9K at the time, they were extremely expensive!

And Sunday, I thought you meant something completely different with your "beware of amp sensitivities" post. I thought you were refering to people's sensitivity to different designs, and how they will sometimes stand behind designs that you may not like yourself, or how you are puzzled as to how they even think they are anything less than bad or truly awful sounding!

I guess no one reads specs anymore!

I guess no one reads specs anymore!

I do, but your post was pretty ambiguous... as highlighted by other people's confusion, as well as my own.

I prefered my interpretation of it - which I is why I said it was an absolutely brilliant post!

I do, but your post was pretty ambiguous... as highlighted by other people's confusion, as well as my own.

I prefered my interpretation of it - which I is why I said it was an absolutely brilliant post!

I actually, (mistakenly) thought that most people understood the sensitivity spec.

Soz - missed it earlier - the CJ amp I was talking about was the 350. I heard the V140 when the Aerius came out, so we are talking a long time ago. But it was absolutely brilliant driving them. When I actually got a brand new pair of Aerius at home in my lounge, I was itching for the V140s, as the amp I had at the time was nowhere near it. But at £9K at the time, they were extremely expensive! The Aerius was £2,200.

I was using an ARC D79 with my Aerius' and I really enjoyed that combination too.

As for the 350 sounding "polite", I guess after living with one for three years, I wouldn't agree with that description at all. But everyone hears differently.

I was using an ARC D79 with my Aerius' and I really enjoyed that combination too.

As for the 350 sounding "polite", I guess after living with one for three years, I wouldn't agree with that description at all. But everyone hears differently.

Then again, the sum total of my 350 experience is listening to the Avalon Eidelons at moderate levels for 30 minutes at a show... so it's not exactly comprehensive. 3 years of listening would provide a better description, no doubt!:) So really it applies to the combination I heard. As some may know, I didn't think much of the Eidelon + 350 combo, but last time I said that I got extensively rebuked. So I'll keep quiet:D

And we all know shows have limitations....

Over here, reviewer Martin Colloms would have loved it - I know he rated both components extremely highly.

Last edited:
Then again, the sum total of my 350 experience is listening to the Avalon Eidelons at moderate levels for 30 minutes at a show... so it's not exactly comprehensive.

Nothing like living with something to truely understand its behavior. Friends and neighbors think our 14 y/o daughter is "polite".....LOL

Then again, the sum total of my 350 experience is listening to the Avalon Eidelons at moderate levels for 30 minutes at a show... so it's not exactly comprehensive. 3 years of listening would provide a better description, no doubt!:) So really it applies to the combination I heard. As some may know, I didn't think much of the Eidelon + 350 combo, but last time I said that I got extensively rebuked. So I'll keep quiet:D

And we all know shows have limitations....

Over here, reviewer Martin Colloms would have loved it - I know he rated both components extremely highly.

As I recall, mr. Colloms (who I have tremendous respect for) rated the 350 the second highest on his list of all the power amplifiers he's yet to review..
And Harry Pearson said the only amplifier he preferred to the 350 was his pair of 80 thousand dollar Burmeister monos...

But again, it's all about synergy, room setup and associated components. When we had the Avalon Ascendants here for review, I actually got the most pleasing sound with my Luxman integrated! 30wpc class A. Our tech editor has a 350 with Avalon Indras and it sounds great in his room, using a CJ ART3, which is more laid back than my ACT2.

There are so many magical combinations out there, you just have to find the one that makes YOU happy.

And DrJRapp: our friends say the same thing about our 14 year old... No one ever sees her witchipoo side. Or as we like to say around here- Moodswing!

Nothing like living with something to truely understand its behavior. Friends and neighbors think our 14 y/o daughter is "polite".....LOL

LMFAO man that is a good one ! Oh its so true !

Jeff

How easy/difficult did you find it to "dial-in" the CLX position to get the right focus at the sweet spot? Please compare that to the Summit if you can. I'm asking that here because it's a subject of interest to ML owners, not JQP, so I doubt anything will be said in your review.

Last edited:
Back