Theos vs Children

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edwinr

Reaction score
It's no contest.

Two children, one 6 years and the other 9 years (they used to be mine but are now disowned), managed to enter my music room. They wanted to build a cubby house to play in while Dad was at work. Using their still developing muscles, they manoeuvred a room divider to stand next to one of the Theos speakers. After much exertion they had the divider nearly where they wanted it, but needed just one more inch this-a-way. The room divider wanted to go that-a-way, resulting in it tipping over hitting the speaker. The speaker toppled and fell, just missing the equipment stand, but the top strut hit the power conditioner, smashing it. Just to deliver the coup de grace, the room divider finished on top of the Theos.

After the initial shock had passed, both children somehow managed to right both the room divider and the speakers. They quickly left the scene of the crime, shutting the door behind them.

Some time later, Mum was in the kitchen cooking and she noticed the two children where rather quiet. She asked them what was wrong. They said "it's okay, because Dad has two of them". Mum's blood froze. "Two of what?" Both children looked very worried; "the speakers!"

Mum went downstairs and saw the dented and bruised speaker now standing up, still bearing paint marks from the room divider. She also saw the busted power conditioner, and rang dad who was on the way home from work. She didn't say what had happened, but just wanted to check to see how long the children had left to live.

On arrival, Dad was greeted at the door by the two now disowned children. They gave Dad hugs and told him how much they loved and missed him while he was at work. Dad didn't start getting suspicious until, while he was seated at the table eating, they presented him with a hand drawn card declaring their love and devotion. Without opening the card to view the contents, Dad said; "Okay what's happened?"

Mum led Dad downstairs to view the damage. It's remarkable how strong the Theos speakers are constructed. The force of the impact totalled the power conditioner, and damaged the room divider, but left remarkably little physical damage to the speaker frame. The membrane looked a little opaque, and there was a rather large indentation on one side of the panel. After checking for obvious electrical faults, the speaker was turned on a little music was played. The speaker made some music, but the soundstage was all over the place and rather diffuse compared with the un-damaged speaker.

Both speakers were taken to the Martin Logan dealer, who nearly cried when he saw the damage. Prognosis is that the entire frame on the damaged speaker has to be replaced, as well as two new panels (Theos speakers are sold as matched pair). The wood cabinet sustained some damage and either has to be repaired or replaced.

Prognosis? The speakers have been written off. It's uneconomical repairing the damaged speaker. It'll never be the same. If it was just the panels - no problems, but there's cabinet damage too. The single undamaged speaker will be sold as a centre for somebody.

I have ordered a replacement pair of speakers. I was going for a pair of Montis, but since I've taken such a hit on the Theos, I can't afford the dollars. So it's the Ethos in flame teak. They'll be here in about 4 weeks.

I'm just worried about the Ethos' bass response. But the dealer assures me that I can dial the bass in or out as much as I want, and should be easier to tune into my room than the Theos. We'll see...

Current speakers: The dealer kindly lent me a pair of Elac FS-247 floor standing speakers. They are rather attractive in the 'mocha' finish'. They feature a ribbon tweeter and custom aluminium mid/bass drivers with faceted cones not unlike a cut diamond. Build quality is absolutely outstanding. After I unpacked these little beasts I plopped them right where the Theos had been set up. I didn't change the sub woofer settings at all, and I switched them on to listen. Verdict? Nice sound. Very clear and dynamic but lacking the broad soundstage of the electrostatics. They have nicely extended bass and voices sound accurate with no bloom. Would I buy a pair if I couldn't afford panel speakers? Yes, in a heart beat. Very, very nice baby floor standers.

P.S. In fact, I like these Elac's so much, I may buy them from the dealer for use in my second system.

Last edited:
Hola. We have a saying here in Costa Rica... Shi* happens. Many years ago, when I bought my first turntable, I left it under the small table that I used at that time, as a furniture for my sound system. My 2 years old son, played with the tonearm and the needle... I had to replaced it again. It was my fault, because I let my toys to his hands. What I did was to teach him this: he has his own toys, as I do have mine. I respect his toys and I can not play with them unless I get his permission to allow me to play with them. Same thing for him. If he does not have my permission to play with my toys, unless I allow him to, he can not!!!. I had three kids, and they learn this very nicely. You are going to be in heaven with your new Ethos. The bass quality is breath taking! Happy listening!

Ouch! While not as expensive as a Theos when my son was two he took some Rock Band drum sticks to my TV screen. Two nice cracks, one right in the center... luckily it was a Rear Projection and not a LCD or a Plasma so at least I could still use it. It took me sometime to find a replacement screen for it though.

Makes one want to:
Why__you_little___by_LiLC00KiE.jpg

But then they start to look all cute and innocent... hah

I have to show you the card they made for me:

Attachments

• sorrycardspeakers.jpg
    sorrycardspeakers.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 434
Hi Edwinr,

Thanks for sharing such a sad adventure. Indeed know what you mean by having children play next to speakers. Mine , was a little similar but not as bad as it was a COBE speaker that was damaged. Kids had put a tennis ball in one of the port in my focal 826 and then pressed the woofer in that much that his finger just went thru. To make things worst, it was not even my kid, but a friend of mines that did it. I guess like Roberto stated, crap happens. I was lucky enough to have accident cover on my house insurance and got everything fixed for only the cost of my excess which was only $300.
That s why now in the theatre room, which kids spend a lot of time watching kids show and p,ay in there too, all my equipment is either in wall/ceiling, and behind acoustic screen,even my av rack ir mounted 1.7m up from finish floor level.
I will revert to a full 7.2 system floor stander speakers when they are older, and not so much a threat to my av gear.

My ML are in the family room where all is open and it s a sunken lounge room, so I can pretty much see what s going on there from everywhere in the house. They know that the living room is a no go zone for playing...
By the way, m sure you will enjoy your new ethos. I decided to upgrade (yes already but could not resists) from theos to montis as there is a fantastic discount going on here in Australia at the moment and the wife would rather not,does not want should I say a sub in the room so hence the montis.
Anyway, best of luck with your speakers
Regards

Thanks Roberto. The Ethos should be okay. I tried the Vantages a while ago and they seemed to be only a couple of notches under the Summits I'm told the Ethos are better than the Vantages were. TchOrT and projectormovielover thanks for your comments. It was a shock at first, but I'm feeling a bit better about it. jmstpierre, the Montis speakers were high on my list, but the price differential was just a little too much for me to justify. The dealer reckons the Montis speakers are the the jewel in Martin Logan's crown at the moment, but the Ethos are not far off, offering most of the sound quality, but at a much lower price. I feel I may have missed an opportunity here, but economic reality hits hard at times. Once my new speakers arrive and are integrated into my system, I don't think I will worry about what model I have - it'll just be about the music.

Terrible to hear. I don't know about disowning them though - I think I would have been going to gaol for murder......you live reasonably close if I remember correctly?

Hola EDWINR. God works in a mysterious ways, you just up-graded your system because an accident! That card from your children love you, and it is the most beautiful that I had seen in a long time! The best thing of this, your kids now realized about daddy toys, and how fragile they are. It is a very expensive lesson, but it will remain forever. About the Ethos, you will love them, easy to drive, and easy to adjust at the bass. The bass is very deep, you are going to be, as I said before, in heaven with those Ethos. The bass response of the Ethos is far better to the Theos, but this does not mean, that the Theos have bad bass. Your amplifier will be driven only the stat panels of the Ethos, saving a lot of energy that before were used for handle the bass of the Theos. This will make your system to have more dynamics , better inner detail and resolution, better a sense of 3D, and a deeper bass response. Happy listening!

wow... well... here is an easy fix!! Audiogon....9/10!! :) ... Hope everything turns out ok - its only money...just make sure you don't get something you will be replacing in the next several years...because then you'll be paying again!! tim.

Well, some good news: Nielsen, I telephoned my insurance company, and they were great. I told them everything that happened and after a very quick assessment, they then telephoned the distributor to get the replacement details. The insurance company have now agreed to pay the full cost of replacing the Theos!. I've only got to pay a small cash difference in the wholesale price for the Ethos. Like... Wow!

I'm not going to get greedy, or over reach. I will stick to the speaker I originally decided on to replace the Theos (being the Ethos) and I thank those unknown/faceless people at the insurance company that have shared my loss and have tried to help.

Thanks amey01. I now live in Griffith in the middle of NSW! Hopefully a posting that will only last another couple of years. In saying that, Griffith is a really nice small town.

roberto, thanks for that information about the Ethos. It makes me feel better about the choice I made. I am now actually looking forward to trying these new speakers. I will report back my findings as compared to the Theos when they arrive in a couple of weeks or so. TomDac, Timm, Twitch54, ktchnman and Bernard, the most precious thing out of all this, is the card my children made for me. I will keep that card forever.

Awesome news Edwin. Insurance is a funny thing. O can't believe they are paying out but awesome! Those kids and the wife - don't trade them in. They are keepers. :)

Great News on the replacement! So is the insurance just going to replace the Theos with Theos or are you getting an upgrade and moving up to the Ethos; I didn't fully understand your statement above?

If so and you get to step up to the Ethos due to a mishap with the children and your Theos; can you bring them over to make a fort with my Montis as well? LOL I would love to be able to upgrade to the CLX or Summit X.

i broke the cantilever on my Shinon Red one night of listening. insurance covered it.

for audio gear, replacement insurance is wonderful. with kids mandatory.

Back