The quest for hi-fi: a desease?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jfp

Reaction score
I guess I am not alone in this situation, but I can't resist upgrading.
When will it end?
6 months ago, I thought I would be totally satisfied with Aerius as main and paradigm as side and rear.
Then I bought a Cinema center and Scenario as rear, so now I am dreamimg of summit, then 2 frescos for side, more power, change cable...And I know it will never end...;)
Are you In this situation, have you stop dreaming...what CAN a Guy do???

Hola. You have a sickness called Joey-itis. We all here have it, and there is no cure for it. What happens is this: you just want to listen now, the musician(s) "playing" for you, playing and making the music for you, not just hearing the music. And starting from cables, you can listen a difference for better or worse. You have your personal sound taste, too. If you can not listen a difference, then, it is not that component of you system that you are changing, who it is making it, of that difference that you are searching. That it is why there are so many good brands on the marketplace. They all have their own personality, and do sound different, not necessary bad or good. Just "trust your ears" and choose what you liked most. Also, my personal liking, might be different than yours. Perhaps you might like heavy well defined bass, and I liked it thin. But, we all like the stage, love the music, and it must be precise, where all the musician(s) are "there" having air between instruments and with their right size, too. The 3D that you get through ML is breath taking. Coherence from top to bottom, the right pitch, the harmonic texture of the musical instrument(s), should be in your room. Little nuances must be understood without any effort to your ears. A little advise. Take your time with your components. Get their sound into your heart. Remember that our immediate memory only last about 10 seconds, so, when you make a comparison, live sometime with your new component. That, it will make easy if you want make the change or not. On the other hand, what you are looking is good. Listen to the new Montis, this speakers are very impressive and are one of the best of the whole ML line. Happy listening!

Last edited:
Hi jfp,

Very simple. Just enjoy what you have. Otherwise, you could become very neurotic. Not good.

GG

Not too long ago a good friend and associate of mine passed away suddenly. My most recent memory of him was of he being in my living room being asked to suffer a demonstration of my stereo. He kindly obliged with stoic grace, knowing he was going to hear something quite different from what I heard, born out of past demonstrations. Little did he know I had done all my months and years of tweaking, studying and adjusting, and I believed at the time I really had it at it's best.
Al was a stoic, a jaded curmudgeon, and not easily impressed at all, but his jaw, no fooling, literally dropped. Not only had he sat there in true awe, he asked for more, forgetting he was on his way out the door after a long evening and an hour drive home. He listened to three, four more cuts before he left that night and I was secure in he fact that there truely was no more to be done to he system, that anything else would be obsessively gilding a lilly.
Thank you Al, for letting me finish and put this obsession to rest, and enjoy what I have. Anything more would be a certifiable sickness.

Latest posts

Back