System #69 (SL3)

MartinLogan Owners (MLO)

Help Support MartinLogan Owners (MLO):

D

dyazdani

Guest
Name: Danish Yazdani
Location: Crossett, AR USA

ML Speakers:
Front: SL3
Center: Logos

Other Speakers:
Rear: Magnepan MGSS 1
Sub: Bag End Infrasub 18

Modifications: None

Electronics:
Processor: Classe SSP-25
Main Amp (LCR): Audio Refinement Multi-3
Amps (Rear): Marantz Monoblocks
DVDp: Panasonic RP-82
Power Conditioner: Monster 5000

Cables:
Speaker (Main): Goertz MI3
Speaker (Center): AQ Argent+
ICs: Mostly DIY

Rack:
Lovan Sovereign

Video:
TV: Mitsubishi 55" HDTV
DSS: DishNetwork HDTV receiver

Comments:
The pictures turned out a little dark, I may update when I get a chance. Also, we are remodeling, so bear with the mess...

The system sounds very good for the most part, currently working up a plan for room treatment. The room is 30x15 with a sloped ceiling, has many peaks/nulls in the LF region, being untreated.

I would eventually like to get some Ascents or better for the fronts and move the SL3 to the rear (or to another system), but that will not happen soon. Other upgrades would include a front projection system and to replace the Logos with a Theater.

Thanks for looking!



 
D

dyazdani

Guest
Spent the weekend so far constructing room treatments. MUCH better sound, music and HT both.

Construction pictures:
Construction Thread

Updated system picture, panels are just laying against wall, testing how many and where I want them for best sound:
 
D

dyazdani

Guest
Got around to finishing up the room and installing the panels in their final locations.

 

zaphod

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 6, 2005
Messages
919
Reaction score
0
Location
Cloverdale, BC
dyazdani said:
Got around to finishing up the room and installing the panels in their final locations.
very nice. looks like an awkward room to manage with the sloping ceiling, a skylight, windows to one side and an open area to the other.

but it is great when it all comes together isn't it :)
 

kach22i

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
1,832
Reaction score
0
Location
Michigan
It works, let me guess; you are single? ;)

The wife would have my hide if I went as far as you. :D
 
D

dyazdani

Guest
Actually, I am married - my other half didn't have a problem with it as long as I let her pick the fabric for the panels and not hang any on the ceiling.

The room is a challenge do to the asymmetrical nature, but I think things are about as good as I can do for now. The treatments made more of an impact than any new piece of equipment would have made.
 

Robin

Well-known member
Joined
May 9, 2005
Messages
3,292
Reaction score
0
Location
Calistoga, California
Excellent System....

Danish,

Let me begin by saying Welcome to the ML Club...:D

I thought, I had commented on your beautiful system and was surprised to see that I hadn't, sorry for that, as I ment to way before now. Your SL3's look great! :D How do you like the sound of your Logos? Also, I was wondering how do you like the Goerts M13 speaker cable for your mains?

Great looking system! :D

Cheers

-Robin
 
D

dyazdani

Guest
Thanks for the compliments! I am very happy with the Logos. I've played around with "stereo surround" mode on my processor and the Logos blends in perfectly (though I rarely use this mode). I used to think it wasn't all that great with dialog and general movie effects, but since I've treated the room, everything has cleared up tremendously.

I originally bought the MI3 to use with a pair of B&W N802s and a Levinson amp. I sold the 802s shortly thereafter and got the SL3s. I have not tried any other cables since, but I have no complaints with the sound. I've never been one to swap cables a lot - I find other changes tend to have a bigger impact for me. I do plan to upgrade my interconnects soon. I ran all balanced connections with the old system and never really invested in good ICs in the switch.

Thanks!
 

Robin

Well-known member
Joined
May 9, 2005
Messages
3,292
Reaction score
0
Location
Calistoga, California
IC's...

dyazdani said:
Thanks for the compliments! I am very happy with the Logos. I've played around with "stereo surround" mode on my processor and the Logos blends in perfectly (though I rarely use this mode). I used to think it wasn't all that great with dialog and general movie effects, but since I've treated the room, everything has cleared up tremendously.

I originally bought the MI3 to use with a pair of B&W N802s and a Levinson amp. I sold the 802s shortly thereafter and got the SL3s. I have not tried any other cables since, but I have no complaints with the sound. I've never been one to swap cables a lot - I find other changes tend to have a bigger impact for me. I do plan to upgrade my interconnects soon. I ran all balanced connections with the old system and never really invested in good ICs in the switch.

Thanks!
dyazdani,
It's great to know the Logos, sounds great and blends well. :D I have never had the pleasure of hearing them, myself.

Cheers

-Robin
 
Last edited:

lexor

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 1, 2005
Messages
59
Reaction score
0
sl3's

looks like your Sl3's bass drivers grill's are off. are they? nice system i have enjoyed my sl3's also.
 
D

dyazdani

Guest
I bought a Sanyo Z4 projector on Friday - have it set up temporarily for now, looks a little trashy. It will get better when I get a new screen and am able to run video cables through the ceiling.

I made the screen in the picture, it is 92" diagonal. It works OK for $40 in materials. I also build a custom stand for the Logos - I just need to sand and paint it.


 
Last edited:
O

ovature

Guest
sl3 grills

lexor said:
looks like your Sl3's bass drivers grill's are off. are they? nice system i have enjoyed my sl3's also.
There are no removable bass driver grills on the sl3. they just look like the panel. A much nicer appearance than what they did with the Ascent IMO.
 

JonFo

Super Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Jan 16, 2005
Messages
4,068
Reaction score
12
Location
Big Canoe, GA
Nice work on the stand for the Logos!

Also, clearly moving the whole system in the right direction: Front projection, custom built sub, a BFD or some other Bass EQ box there next to the sub...

Enjoy!
 

Craig

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 1, 2005
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1
Location
U.S.
There are no removable bass driver grills on the sl3. they just look like the panel. A much nicer appearance than what they did with the Ascent IMO.
I agree, it is a much nicer appearance with the panel integrated into the woofer. Much like the design of the newer ML speakers such as the Summit.
 
Top