System #365b (ReQuest, Logos, Script)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsv_1

Reaction score
1. Member Name: Todd V

2. Location: Southern Maine (USA)

3. ML Model(s): ReQuest (front l/r) + Logos (CC) + Script (x4 surround)

4. Year Purchased: 2002

5. Mods/Changes: None

6. Associated Electronics:

- Projector: Panasonic PT-AE3000 1080P

- Source Components: Oppor BDP-83, SA Explorer 8300HD HD+DVR Settop box, PS3

- Pre: Denon 3808ci (using as pre-amp / decoder / source selector)

- Amps: Pass Labs X5 (drives CC and Surrounds), Pass Labs X150 (drives main L/R)

- Speakers: reQuest (main L/R), Logos (CC), Script (side and rear surrounds), Velodyne DD12 (sw)

- Power Conditioning: Monster HTS5000

- ICs: Transparent Music Link and Better Cables HDMI

- SCs: Transparent The Wall

- Tactile Transducers: bAss Shakers attached to each of the 7 power recliners (driven by dual Velodyne customized sw amps)

- Screen: Carada Precision 2.35:1 Gain=1.0 (144" diagonal)

7. Comments and/or stories about your Martin Logan experience: This dedicated home theater room has evolved significantly over the past eight years to it's present, and very enjoyable, state. Started out with just cement walls (when it was an unfinsihed basement), projecting with a Sony G90U, and an old Denon receiver driving Paradigm speakers. It was functional, but hey... all projects have to start somewhere. Present room dimensions are appx 16' wide, by 21' deep, by 8' high. This room was design and constructed to be a "room within a room" for optimal isolation from the rest of the house. Significant room treatment has been employed including party-stud framing for all walls, double dry-wall ceiling hung from clip springs, and as can be seen in the photos, significant application of acoustical absorption panels (and lots of other sound diffraction via shelving etc). All walls and ceilings have been painted midnight blue to help decrease reflected ambient light during movie time. And yes, I wish the room were just a few feet wider to give the reQuests a little more breathing room, but they still sound wonderful even set in the corners as they are. BTW, The Logos CC is, by far, the best sounding CC I've ever heard anywhere bar none. Movie dialogue is so natural and realistic. Awesome!

8. An image of your system. (more pics to come once this thread posts)

Attachments

• theater 2010 016.jpg
    theater 2010 016.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 1,459
  • theater 2010 019.jpg
    theater 2010 019.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 1,452
  • theater 2010 018.jpg
    theater 2010 018.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 1,454
  • theater 2010 001.jpg
    theater 2010 001.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 1,432
  • theater 2010 003.jpg
    theater 2010 003.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 1,446
Tom got that right, two great looking systems you've got there! I'd really enjoy the dilemma of trying to decide which one to listen to. Well done on both accounts!

Thanks guys for the comments. This has been a serious hobby for me. Wife thinks I'm nuts (but she doesn't seem to mind using the systems when the mood strikes... hmmmmmm!).

Frankly, I'm not sure how I missed this wonderful forum for so long as I only just joined... but I'm glad I did. I've already learned a ton from so many different posts. What a resource and such a friendly virtual atmosphere.

Anywayz... a few more pics here to round out the posting.

Cheers!

Attachments

• theater 2010 014.jpg
    theater 2010 014.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 1,442
  • theater 006.jpg
    theater 006.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 1,430
  • theater 010.jpg
    theater 010.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 1,474
  • theater 2010 009.jpg
    theater 2010 009.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 1,444
  • theater 2010 011.jpg
    theater 2010 011.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 1,440
a few more pics... ' cause who doesn't love pics?

Attachments

• theater 2010 007.jpg
    theater 2010 007.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 1,437
  • theater 011.jpg
    theater 011.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,416
  • theater 2010 006.jpg
    theater 2010 006.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 1,424
  • IMG_0495.jpg
    IMG_0495.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 1,440
Last edited:
I'll admit it surprises me that they never get more than a little warm even in that confined space. Extremely well built!

That more than surprises me. In fact - I'm flabbergasted! Still, I'd be moving them to a place where they have more room.

That more than surprises me. In fact - I'm flabbergasted! Still, I'd be moving them to a place where they have more room.

It's a little hard to see form the picture... but in the rats-nest view of the equipment closet, you can actually see that most of the heat-sink fins are totally exposed for both amps. There are no "sides" to that framed structure that supports the shelving. Also, that closet is fully ventilated at all times, so it's not as if the amps are unduly braising in their own juices during operation. It's far from cryogenic in there, but after 8 yrs of faithful service, they show no signs of wandering. Thanks for the concern and have a great day!

Last edited:
Todd, nice system.

Upgrade the processor to a Denon AVP and run an Audyssey Pro correction and you'll be amazed at how great that can be.

Very good looking theater room.

Todd, nice system.

Upgrade the processor to a Denon AVP and run an Audyssey Pro correction and you'll be amazed at how great that can be.

Very good looking theater room.

Something to shoot for, thanks. (you do realize you would be considered an "enabler" by any therapist worth his or her salt)

I second that. The Denon AVP with Audyssey correction (especially with the Pro) will give you an amazing sound experience!

BTW your setup is sweet! I also own reQuests and I love em!

Seth

Thanks Seth... yes, love the requests too and really a killer combo with the Logos up front.

You guys know how a person phases in and out of certain obsesive/compulsive projects...? Well, my current OCD target is the 2-channel system. Once I finalize that project (i.e. get the CLXs dialed in), I will then turn my full attention back to the theater and take your advice under serious consideration.

Thanks for stopping in :)

Thanks Seth... yes, love the requests too and really a killer combo with the Logos up front.

You guys know how a person phases in and out of certain obsesive/compulsive projects...? Well, my current OCD target is the 2-channel system. Once I finalize that project (i.e. get the CLXs dialed in), I will then turn my full attention back to the theater and take your advice under serious consideration.

Thanks for stopping in :)

Yeah I can imagine that together with the Logos, the sound is amazing. :) I have the Theater i and I love the way that it sounds, but I was always curious as to the difference in sound between it and the Logos.

Wow, so you also have a 2 channel setup, with CLX's no less. Nice!

Yeah definitely give the Denon AVP a consideration. It's a very nice piece, and is still currently the most advanced and fully featured pre/pro available. And word is that it will most likely get an upgrade this coming year to include all the latest and greatest technologies. So if that does happen, that will keep it on the cutting edge for some time to come.

Seth

Yeah I can imagine that together with the Logos, the sound is amazing. :) I have the Theater i and I love the way that it sounds, but I was always curious as to the difference in sound between it and the Logos.

Wow, so you also have a 2 channel setup, with CLX's no less. Nice!

Yeah definitely give the Denon AVP a consideration. It's a very nice piece, and is still currently the most advanced and fully featured pre/pro available. And word is that it will most likely get an upgrade this coming year to include all the latest and greatest technologies. So if that does happen, that will keep it on the cutting edge for some time to come.

Seth

Do you think I'd really be giving up much by considering the Marantz equivelent to the Denon AVP? The Marantz is way less expensive and seems to have virtually all the same features (on quick comparison anyway)... and it's networked for streaming etc.

Cheers

I'm not too familiar with the Marantz piece, but I do know that a lot of people who own it really like it.

I know that the early Marantz AV8003 didn't have the processing power to apply Audyssey room correction when bitstreaming the new lossless formats (TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, etc.). And only when the player did the decoding could one use Audyssey. As far as I know that hasn't changed with newer builds, but I may be wrong.

The AV8003 also only has Audyssey MultEQ (no xt ) and Pro will not work with it as the DSP chips aren't powerful enough to support it.

So for that reason alone, I consider the AVP a superior choice. Yes the AVP is quite a bit more expensive, but Denon really went all out when they designed and built this pre/pro. It's their statement piece, and is still currently their flagship unit. Now if Audyssey room correction is not that important for you, then I'd say the Marantz is a solid choice.

I have had my Denon AVP for going on 3 years now and it has so far been pretty bullet proof. I use it every day for watching movies and satellite, and it doesn't miss a beat. :)

I use and swear by Audyssey room correction. I use MultEQ xt and it's awesome, but Pro is even better, as JonFo can attest to. :)

Hope this helps.

Seth

I'm not too familiar with the Marantz piece, but I do know that a lot of people who own it really like it.

I know that the early Marantz AV8003 didn't have the processing power to apply Audyssey room correction when bitstreaming the new lossless formats (TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, etc.). And only when the player did the decoding could one use Audyssey. As far as I know that hasn't changed with newer builds, but I may be wrong.

The AV8003 also only has Audyssey MultEQ (no xt ) and Pro will not work with it as the DSP chips aren't powerful enough to support it.

So for that reason alone, I consider the AVP a superior choice. Yes the AVP is quite a bit more expensive, but Denon really went all out when they designed and built this pre/pro. It's their statement piece, and is still currently their flagship unit. Now if Audyssey room correction is not that important for you, then I'd say the Marantz is a solid choice.

I have had my Denon AVP for going on 3 years now and it has so far been pretty bullet proof. I use it every day for watching movies and satellite, and it doesn't miss a beat. :)

I use and swear by Audyssey room correction. I use MultEQ xt and it's awesome, but Pro is even better, as JonFo can attest to. :)

Hope this helps.

Seth

OK... Thanks for the thoughtful response. I'll continue to consider the AVP. BTW, that's a beautiful system you have... and the rigorously catalogued CDs and DVDs -Wow! I should be 1/10th as organized.

Cheers

OK... Thanks for the thoughtful response. I'll continue to consider the AVP. BTW, that's a beautiful system you have... and the rigorously catalogued CDs and DVDs -Wow! I should be 1/10th as organized.

Cheers

You're welcome. :) Yes definitely keep the AVP at the top of your list of pre/pro's to consider.

Thank you for the very kind words on my setup and on my music and movie cataloging. ;)

Seth

Back