Dedicated 20amp circuit, whole house SPD & SurgeX!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SKY888

Reaction score
My electrician finally installed a dedicated 20amp circuit for my HT!
He also installed whole house surge protection (Eaton CHSPT2ULTRA).

I also upgraded my APC H15 power conditioner with a pair of SurgeX SX-1115-RT.

With my whole house surge protection, and pair of Surgex, my HT is pretty much bullet proof from any surges, over/under voltage, and inrush current issues.

Here’s a detailed info about my Simple HT set-up:
VIDEO:
-Sony XBR-75X900E LED TV
-Sony UBP-X800M2 4K UHD player

5.2 SURROUND SOUND SYSTEM
-Marantz SR6012 AVR
-3 x Emotiva HC-1 monoblocks
-2 x Atlantic Technology 642e SB subwoofers
-Martin Logan ESL 9
-Martin Logan C18
-Martin Logan motion 2i surround

SAFETY COMPONENTS:
-2 x Aircom T8 cooling fan system
-2 x Surgex SX-1115-RT

SMART Components:
-Echo Dot
-Logitech Harmony Hub

Attachments

• AE8D344E-B885-4066-A361-166D8C3E32D8.jpeg
    AE8D344E-B885-4066-A361-166D8C3E32D8.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • DF52C217-A18A-463E-B848-755CAE46EC56.jpeg
    DF52C217-A18A-463E-B848-755CAE46EC56.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 3501914B-AB4E-43F9-9B7F-A6E8EC77D01C.jpeg
    3501914B-AB4E-43F9-9B7F-A6E8EC77D01C.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
How hard was it for the electrician to install the 20 amp circuit? Hopefully you have a mostly unfinished basement with unfettered access from the room to the electrical panel. Ive thought about having one put in but it would be very expensive to do so I think, because more than half the basement is finished and the line could only run about halfway to the box and then there would be issues running through the walls or ceiling. Just curious how your's went.

Ive got a whole house suppression device too that our electrical company put on our outside meter. Hopefully it works if we need it. I got that after our next door neighbor's big maple tree got struck by lightning. It was a direct hit. Split the tree into pieces, it exploded. I think it heats up the water inside and then it explodes like a small bomb. The strike destroyed one PC, took out the modem on my other PC, and fried the mother board on our security system. My home theater stuff was all ok thank goodness.

Since the one pc only had its internet portion of the mother board taken out, I have a feeling that the surge came through the cable. We had cable internet at that time. Now we have fiber optic. Im hoping that electric doesnt have a way of going through that. Fiber isnt supposed to conduct electricity.

Ive found this device you can put on your ethernet. Id put it right on the main line so it protects the whole house. Ive not done it yet, but am considering ordering one. Anyone on here use something like this? Im wondering if its a waste of time for me since the line coming into our home is fiber optic. Inside the home there is a small box that somehow converts the fiber signal into a signal for the ethernet.

https://www.l-com.com/surge-protect...igabit-ethernet-poe-ieee-8023bt-shielded-rj45

How hard was it for the electrician to install the 20 amp circuit? Hopefully you have a mostly unfinished basement with unfettered access from the room to the electrical panel. Ive thought about having one put in but it would be very expensive to do so I think, because more than half the basement is finished and the line could only run about halfway to the box and then there would be issues running through the walls or ceiling. Just curious how your's went.

Ive got a whole house suppression device too that our electrical company put on our outside meter. Hopefully it works if we need it. I got that after our next door neighbor's big maple tree got struck by lightning. It was a direct hit. Split the tree into pieces, it exploded. I think it heats up the water inside and then it explodes like a small bomb. The strike destroyed one PC, took out the modem on my other PC, and fried the mother board on our security system. My home theater stuff was all ok thank goodness.

Since the one pc only had its internet portion of the mother board taken out, I have a feeling that the surge came through the cable. We had cable internet at that time. Now we have fiber optic. Im hoping that electric doesnt have a way of going through that. Fiber isnt supposed to conduct electricity.
Our basement is unfinished so it was pretty easy fir the master electrician to run the wire from panel to the HT side of the house.

Charged me $150 for parts & labor :)

Back