System #306 (Ascent i)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golfdane

Reaction score
Member Name: Tommy R

ML Model: Ascent, upgraded to i-model

Year Purchased: 2009 (app. 4 years old)

Mods/Changes: Upgraded to i with the aluminium woofer by previous owner.

Associated Electronics:
"CD Player": Squeezebox 3 (CD's ripped by EAC, stored on a Linux server that also runs Squeezecenter)
CD: Pioneer DVD 717 feeding the DAC in my Lyngdorf DPA 1
Turntable: STD 305M
Tonearm: SME Series III
Cartridge: Ortofon MC20 Super
Phono Preamplifier: Primare R20

Blu-ray Player: Sony PlayStation 3

Preamplifier: Lyngdorf DPA 1 with RoomPerfect
Power Amplifier: Icepower 250ASX2 DIY (2x250w at 4 ohms)

Cables: MIT AVT1 interconnect between pre and power. MIT AVT1 Biwire to speakers. Supra EFF-ISL from RIAA to preamp. DH Labs powercables.
Room: 4.35m by 6.35m. Speakers placed 1m from rear wall, equidistant to each sidewall. Homemade room treatment (insulation covered in cloth, visible behind each speaker).

History:
The Ascents is an upgrade to a pair of Aerius i. Been a Martin Logan owner since 1999. Both pairs were bought used.
Turntable has followed me around since 1983 (first tonearm: SME 3009 SII). Edit: The STD has now been sold, and the TT of my dreams 20 years ago, has been aquired (pictures below). Bought a new cartridge, since the Ortofon was kinda tired in the suspension after more than 20 years (though it haven't had that many playing hours, and stylus is in good condition). Got a Dynavector 10X5 at a fair price. With weight plate on the SIIIs to increase effective mass, does it seem to work OK.

Overall view:
DSC_0955.jpg

The Lyngdorf and my Squeezebox:
DSC_0952.jpg

The Icepower 250ASX2 on top of the Primare R20:
DSC_0953.jpg

Michell Gyrodec, SME Series IIIs, Dynavector 10X5:
DSC_0845.jpg

My old DVD 717 acting as a transport only (the Playstation gets to play my DVD's):
DSC_0956.jpg

Last edited:

Finally got my Aerius sold. However, it opens up a can of worms.

The new owner of my Aerius i (a SL3 owner who had to move to a smaller appartment) had a Lyngdorf TDAI2200 amp. This was an amazing combo. He had a pair of HUGE JBL subs (2*15" in each sub) that had a (IMHO) totally seamless integration with his SL3's, thanks to the RoomPerfect DSP in the Lyngdorf. Subs were driven by a Parasound.

So, I have a dilemma: Should I go for an Audio Note preamp (and stay with my Holfi power amp), or go for a Lyngdorf (can go for a smaller model without the RoomPerfect)......

Choices......

Already had a huge eye opener in terms of toe-in, thanks to this forum. Have had too much toe-in for years. Stupid me....

Next tweak will be a bit more optimization of the room. Haven't said much about the sub. Thinking of selling it.

Sub has been sold, and the MF X-DACv3 as well.

Auditioned a Lyngdorf TDAI-2200, and will soon order the preamp edition of it. The DPA-1. The Room Correction is just amazing, and the DAC's in it, is very good.
The Holfi's will go on sale. Bought an Icepower 250ASX2 board, that'll run the Ascent's perfectly (just need to complete the box for it).

What kind of improvement do you obtain when upgrading from Ascent to Ascent i.
I am an Ascent owner since 2000. Thank you.

What kind of improvement do you obtain when upgrading from Ascent to Ascent i.
I am an Ascent owner since 2000. Thank you.

The upgrade was done by the previous owner, so I can't comment on what it does (never heard a regular Ascent). It did, according to the previous owner, improve bass performance significantly. Tighten things up.
The previous owner has also replaced the panels, so the panels are less than 4 years old (the spacers are clear, which makes it look stunning).

Change of gear:

The Holfi amps are now replaced with all new gear:
Pre amp: Lyngdorf DPA 1 (RoomPerfect)
Power: Icepower 250ASX2

RIAA to be replaced by Primare R20.

Waiting for a set of MIT AVT 1 Biwire.

Gonna replace picture soon.

The Primare R20 phono preamp is now connected. Very clear and noise is acceptable even though the output of the cartridge is on the low side.

Also bought a set of MIT AVT-1 interconnects, to replace the Supra cable between pre and power, and a set of MIT AVT-1 biwire speaker cables to replace my old MIT Terminator 4. Interconnect is hooked up, and is so far a definite upgrade.
Waiting a bit to install the speaker cables...

Change of gear:

The Holfi amps are now replaced with all new gear:
Pre amp: Lyngdorf DPA 1 (RoomPerfect)
Power: Icepower 250ASX2

RIAA to be replaced by Primare R20.

Waiting for a set of MIT AVT 1 Biwire.

Gonna replace picture soon.

Nice system - it looks great! (Fedt system - det ser godt ud! ;))

Had a huge scare recently. My cat felt like marking his territory or just his discontent with something, and sprayed one of my speakers. Didn't find out before putting on some music, noticing that the left speaker was muted significantly. There was still sound from the panel, but it probably had lost more than 6dB.

A quick inspection revealed visible droplets and the unmistakenly scent of urine.

I knew, that several had washed their panels, and mailed Jim Powers if that was possible and advisable.
Jim acknowledged, that I could remove the ESL panel, and give it a shower, and attached the service manual for my Ascent. Since the warranty was long gone, was it the only possible action besides replacing the panel.

It worked perfectly, and my speaker is operational and has the same output as the counterpart. A really easy operation. I'm so glad I don't have to replace my panels yet (they are just about 4½ years old).

I too have the Ascent I today, but I am going to pick up the Prodigy tommorow.

My Ascents where bought second hand, and I have never had any trouble, but now I'm using alot of my savings to buy the Prodigy's and I just haven't got that much cash to give them new panels if they fail in near future.

Does anyone have an idea what the cost of new panels would be?

What is the life expectancy on the panels if played with care etc.

I have been vacuming my Ascent I's twice a year , and so far no problems.

I hope 4 a quick answer, cause theres only 24 hours until I need to pick up the Prodigys.

I had Aerius i's before getting the Ascent's. Vacuumed them regularly, and had them for 10 years or so without any problems what so ever. I would guess the life expectancy of the most recent panels to be +15 years in a non smoking environment. In regards to the cost of replacing panels, call Interceptor, that is the danish distributor. A guess on the cost would be 10K (DKR) a pair.

I hope your Prodigy's are in place, and playing as expected.

Mine are still doing perfectly after the wash down described above :)

Hoping to replace power amp at some point. Still hooked on auditioning a McIntosh MC275 in my setup (but fear that life would be miserable if I auditioned it at a point in time where I couldn't afford it).

I still hae some problems with my Prodigys, but I now think it is something with the internal electronics because the one that is playing less than the other also lights up later in the blue ML logo.
I need to turn the volume 3 db or so higher for the light to come on in the left one.
Does any one have some schematics or a technical literature of the Prodigys?

I still hae some problems with my Prodigys, but I now think it is something with the internal electronics because the one that is playing less than the other also lights up later in the blue ML logo.
I need to turn the volume 3 db or so higher for the light to come on in the left one.
Does any one have some schematics or a technical literature of the Prodigys?

Try sending an e-mail to Jim Powers at Martin Logan.
It could be 2 things that are wrong. If one speaker requires more signal to turn on, could it be a leaking capacitor in the music sense circuitry. If one of the speakers is playing considerably lower than the other, is the panel most likely leaking the charge of the membrane. You could try vacuuming the panels to remove dust (and hope the former owner didn't smoke). Washing the panel is a last resort before changing panels. To rule out electronics, could you try swapping boards before trying the panel washing (unplug for a day before removing, to avoid being zapped).
When my cat urinated on one of the panels, did I experience problems similar to you. I had sound, but lower on the speaker that got territorial markings.
Jim Powers replied with a manual on how to remove panels, and said the shower treatment might be worth a try. He was right.
Remove panel. Take it into the shower and rinse it (not too much pressure on the water). Do not use hot water or any detergents. When done, rinse with demineralized water to avoid white stains and remove any tap water (that contain all sorts of "stuff"). Let excess water drain. I wiped the panels lightly with tissue paper and vacuumed away a lot of the water along the edges (not too much suction (usually there's a hole in the handle that will let in air and decrease suction)). Let it dry in 24 hours. A fan might be a good idea, but only in a reasonably dust free environment. Inspect the holes closest to the edges and the spacers to check for droplets (can be removed with a snip of a paper towel).
Measure resistance between wires on panel (all combinations). It should read infinity in very short time (behaves a bit like a capacitor).
Put the panel back in place, reconnect wires. Try powering it up and check if problem is solved.
Search this forum for an illustrated guide, showing how it was done on a SL3.
There is no guarantee it will work, and you are doing it on your own risk.

Try sending an e-mail to Jim Powers at Martin Logan.

I will try to find the info to contact him.

It could be 2 things that are wrong. If one speaker requires more signal to turn on, could it be a leaking capacitor in the music sense circuitry. If one of the speakers is playing considerably lower than the other, is the panel most likely leaking the charge of the membrane.

The funny thing is that I got the problem overnight. I had them playing till late in the night without problems, and when I came home from work the day after, I suddenly had the problem. This leads me to think that its problem in the circuitry somewhere, as I figure that the panels wont go bad overnight.

I have tried vacuming with no change at all.

Back