System #214 (SL3)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My SP9 is even better with the mods I have made to it - fast recovery diodes and DACT stepped attenuator, not to mention the wonderful 7308 tubes. I have not yet touched the caps; time to get to them.

My SP9 is even better with the mods I have made to it - fast recovery diodes and DACT stepped attenuator, not to mention the wonderful 7308 tubes. I have not yet touched the caps; time to get to them.

I love my SP9. If you haven't already done so, make sure when you're playing with caps that you replace the electrolytic caps. Electrolytics tend to die when they get as old as those in our SP9s. I had my SP9 recently retubed by ARC, and had them replace the electrolytic caps at the same time.

I love my SP9. If you haven't already done so, make sure when you're playing with caps that you replace the electrolytic caps. Electrolytics tend to die when they get as old as those in our SP9s. I had my SP9 recently retubed by ARC, and had them replace the electrolytic caps at the same time.
Did you hear an improvement? The last time I talked to Leonard at ARC, he thought that I did not have to replace the caps in my monoblocks, and I think they are older than my SP9. I may well replace them anyway.

BTW what did ARC replace your 6DJ8's with ?

Have you posted your system here yet?

Last edited:
Did you hear an improvement? The last time I talked to Leonard at ARC, he thought that I did not have to replace the caps in my monoblocks, and I think they are older than my SP9. I may well replace them anyway.

BTW what did ARC replace your 6DJ8's with ?

Have you posted your system here yet?

I've not posted my system here yet because it's missing one vital component: a pair of MartinLogan speakers! I have a pair of Spires on order, so I'll be posting my system "soon".

I didn't notice any huge difference in sound quality, but there might have been a slight improvement. I was sans preamp for about a month, so my memory might have faded. I think ARC replaced the tubes with a pair of Harmonix 6DJ8s; I'm tempted to try tube-rolling, but have to attend to other stuff first.

Thought I should post a picture of my LP collection - trivial compared to MiTT's !

Attachments

• LPs.JPG
    LPs.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 495
When it comes to the music that you love Bernard, nothing is trivial. I bet you have many absolute gems in there!

Bonjour Bernard!

Lovely looking system there and love the shots of your different pieces of gear. The VPI must be really sweet sounding. Once those rigs are dialed in, I've heard an older VPI turntable with the JMW tonearm and a Japanese cartridge (whose name and model escapes me) beat the pants off anything else I've heard!

I bet you have many absolute gems in there!
That I do, including some stuff that is not available on CD, and which I am looking forward to trasnferring to CD for safekeeping - I once dropped a Discwasher brush on an LP, cracking it, and had to look long and hard for a replacement.

Bonjour Bernard!

Lovely looking system there and love the shots of your different pieces of gear. The VPI must be really sweet sounding. Once those rigs are dialed in, I've heard an older VPI turntable with the JMW tonearm and a Japanese cartridge (whose name and model escapes me) beat the pants off anything else I've heard!
Thanks. Yes, the VPI does sound wonderful with the Koetsu, tubes, and Logans.

That I do, including some stuff that is not available on CD, and which I am looking forward to trasnferring to CD for safekeeping - I once dropped a Discwasher brush on an LP, cracking it, and had to look long and hard for a replacement.

That's going to be a monumental task!

Yup. That it is. And with the knowledge you have the original, that's the one you are going to want to play.

But it's good for a few key discs - ones you want to play in the car etc... and ones you can't replace easily.

The Guts of a Monoblock

I thought Adam (amey01) would like this.

Attachments

• IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 420
Maybe we need a "post the insides of your amp" thread.

So many thread possibilities, so little time...:)

You have to admit that with amplifiers toobs look pretty mundane until you take off their tops !

Do they? Compared to most boring SS amps, I think not! But there are some SS amps I do like the looks of quite a bit.

Must get a good SS amp, actually. Thinking about a Gamut - simply because they sound great and I like the design philosophy - keep the transistor count down to a minimum.

A change is as good as a rest...

Back