System #214 (SL3)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do they? Compared to most boring SS amps, I think not! But there are some SS amps I do like the looks of quite a bit.

Must get a good SS amp, actually. Thinking about a Gamut - simply because they sound great and I like the design philosophy - keep the transistor count down to a minimum.

A change is as good as a rest...

What are you doing with them Austria Analogues??

Do they? Compared to most boring SS amps, I think not! But there are some SS amps I do like the looks of quite a bit.

Must get a good SS amp, actually. Thinking about a Gamut - simply because they sound great and I like the design philosophy - keep the transistor count down to a minimum.

A change is as good as a rest...

Lars makes great stuff!

Might want to check out that new high profile SS amp from Rega! Could be very interesting...

What are you doing with them Austria Analogues??

Keeping them til they drop dead, I suspect! I like the idea of having both tube and SS options to swap between, though the SS just might end up driving the bass on the Ascents. Really not sure how well that'll blend with the Austria's, though.

Rega - not seen it - will do some investigation. I'm not a massive Rega fan, though they do make good kit.

Last edited:
new cartridge?

Did you just change your avitar or did you change cart.?:confused:

Did you just change your avitar or did you change cart.?:confused:
I just changed my avatar (needed a change); can't afford the cartridge, which lists for $4300. The new avatar is a cartridge to aim for (I have a thing for blue)....another Koetsu, of course :)

I was asked by FISH_MAN to post a list of my favourite classical music, so I am doing so. Caveat is that most of it is on vinyl, so some may not be available on CD.

I will start the list and update it as I think about other titles. I am a big Beethoven fan, so the list is Beethoven-heavy.

- Beethoven: Symphony #6. Boehm/Vienna Philharmonic
- Beethoven: Symphony #9. Karajan/Berlin Philharmonic. 1962 recording.
- Beethoven: Triple Concerto
- Beethoven: Piano Concerto #4. Pollini/Boehm.
- Beethoven: Choral Fantasia
- Beethoven: Sonatas - Moonlight, Pathetique, Appassionata, Hammerklavier
- Beethoven: Mass in C
- Beethoven: Missa Solemnis
- Beethoven: "Farewell to the Piano"
- Bizet: Carmen. Bernstein
- Brahms: The 2 piano concerti
- Brahms: Hungarian Dances. Played on the piano by Alfons and Aloys Kontarsky.
- Bruch: Violin Concerto #1
- Dvorak: Cello Concerto. Rostropovick/Karajan/Berlin Philharmonic.
- Dvorak: New World Symphony. Kubelik/Berlin
- Faure: Requiem
- Faure: Pavane
- Faure: Apres Un Reve
- Liszt: The 2 piano concerti.
- Mozart: Requiem
- Mozart: Eine Kleine Nachtsmusik
- Mozart: The Horn Concertos
- Mozart: Sinfonia Concertante
- Orff: Carmina Burana
- Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherazade. Reiner/Chicago.
- Schubert: The Famous Serenade ("Standchen"). Murray Perahia (Piano). Also, Mischa Maisky (cello).
- Schubert: Impromptus. Wilhelm Kempff
- Schubert: Works for 4 hands
- Schubert: Notturno
- Tchaikovsky: Piano Concerto #1
- Tchaikovsky: Symphony #4
- Vivaldi: The Four Seasons. Marriner/ASMIF

Last edited:
bernard I was checking out your gear and saw the marantz tuner. Brought so much memories of my dad. havent seen that tuner in a long2x time. I guess just wanted to say thanks for the memories?

bernard I was checking out your gear and saw the marantz tuner. Brought so much memories of my dad. havent seen that tuner in a long2x time. I guess just wanted to say thanks for the memories?
You're welcome. It's great when a piece of hi-fi equipment can bring back pleasant memories.

I bought it maybe 10 years ago from a used hi-fi store here in Ottawa for about $120 IIRC.

Here's something I made to kill the back wave as my speakers are in front of a wall of glass.

I'm very pleased with the results. Bass seems to be better (a bit bloated, though, on some songs), and there is a lot more clarity and detail in instruments and vocals. In some cases I hear new instruments in the mix.

Details here:
http://www.martinloganowners.com/fo...gn-to-Block-the-Back-Wave&p=142285#post142285

In situ.jpg

I just purchased a Mac Mini to use as a music server, and am in the process of setting it up.

image.jpg
Can we have some pics?
Here you go Adam. The two book-like things on the shelf next to the tuner are "Western Digital My Book" hard drives (primary and backup); the internal HD is a SSD.

I'm amazed at how much better the system sounds...deeper, well-defined bass, clearer vocals and instruments, and better height definition. I'm reminded of a description I used before that Twichy Dave took a friendly exception to: it sounds like the singers have woken up and/or loosened their underwear.

View attachment 17952
Here you go Adam. The two book-like things on the shelf next to the tuner are "Western Digital My Book" hard drives (primary and backup); the internal HD is a SSD.

Thanks Bernard. Looking great! I do reckon it'll be worthwhile getting those noisy, vibrating hard disks out of there though - sourcing the music through the network.

I'm amazed at how much better the system sounds..

How much better the system sounds compared to what? CDP?

Back