System #214 (SL3)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Bernard. Looking great! I do reckon it'll be worthwhile getting those noisy, vibrating hard disks out of there though - sourcing the music through the network.
Adam, the disks are relatively quiet. I can only hear them if I'm sitting next to them (the wrong place for listening), and even then they're fairly unobtrusive.

How much better the system sounds compared to what? CDP?
Compared to the Marantz CDR/CDP played through the MDAC via S/P DIF. Now that I'm no longer using the Marantz I have to find a use for the Shun Mooks......maybe on those vibrating hard disks ?

Twichy Dave took a friendly exception to: it sounds like the singers have woken up and/or loosened their underwear.

LOL Bernard ! nothing like loosening ones britches to retain the low notes !

Last edited:
Adam, the disks are relatively quiet. I can only hear them if I'm sitting next to them (the wrong place for listening), and even then they're fairly unobtrusive.

I would still find it bothersome. Imagine if your beautiful ARC amps were producing that sort of noise at idle? All that hard work the designers have used to ensure silent operation (which results in maximum micro-dynamics) only to be undone. Yep, maybe some Mooks will help :)

One of the (Digital Out) RCA connectors in my Audiolab MDAC broke when I unplugged a cable, and I always disliked the small power plug (to me a power plug should be substantial), so I'm going to replace the RCA connector shortly and sell the MDAC. The RCAs for analog out are just fine. I bought it used, so I hope to not lose much money. Anyone here interested in buying it, please PM me (650 bucks (US$500) obo). It still sounds really good, BTW.

Car repairs have cramped my audio budget, so I thought I'd look for a cheap USB to SPDIF converter and use it connected to my cheap Marantz CDP for awhile. Surfing the net I came across the (Chinese) Gustard U12 USB to SPDIF converter, which has really good comments on a few hobbyist sites, and is only US$150 shipped, so I thought I'd take a chance on it, and sell it if I didn't like it. I would have liked to get a Bel Canto Reflink instead (based upon what I heard at Roberto's place) but it's 10 times the price of the Gustard.

I plugged in the Gustard between my Mac Mini and the DAC of my Marantz. I was just blown away; the combination is far better than the MDAC (Note: I have not played extensively with the MDAC's filters). It seems like vocalists have better presence, and words are enunciated better (very interesting in German). On acoustic guitar I can differentiate among the strings better, and the saxophone has more bite. Separation is better, and bass is deeper and tighter......and the Gustard has yet to be broken in. On one track in particular I could appreciate for the first time what the Brits mean by PRaT!

Looks like until I can afford to buy another DAC I should open up the Marantz and do some upgrading of caps, connectors, etc.

Last edited:
Hola Bernard. I found Mr. John Westlake at Pink-fish-media. He is the designer of the M-DAC and here is what he said regarding the broken RCA connector:
http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=169856&highlight=roberto

I do know that you had tried a lot of different ways of avoid the sound reflexion from window glass behind the speakers.

Just a thought. If you do not want too much back waves to your ears (this back waves have a time delay from the front side of the panel and the opposite dipole waves from the back of the panel, and makes the stage and the sense of the event where the recording was made).

The waves that could affect bad the glass are the low frequency, and treating the corners will help to avoid all these. The sense of the 3D, is made by adjusting the the time. Closer to the window, less time, further from the window, more time, so more echoes.

This adjustment provides where do you want to seat at the event. Front front rod to the back of the theater. Perhaps, making some holes, to the back waves stopper that you made, will let to pass through some.

I see also, that you have curtains and rug. These curtains absorbs a lot of high frequency energy. Perhaps I am wrong.
I wish to you the happiest listening my dear Bro and friend!

Last edited:
Roberto, that connector's friction fit is not secure enough, and there's no getting round that; its a cheap design. I'm glad that the replacement connector is better. But it's not a problem at all if you're going USB in and analog out, and not using SPDIF in or out.

I'm constrained as far as room treatments are concerned as it's a living room. Putting holes in my back wave dampers would be difficult to do, and would really ruin them. In any case, I'm quite happy with the sound, especially since I'm no longer a detail guy; I just relax and enjoy the music!

Happy listening to you too, hermano!

Yes, you are right! and also the MDAC has the worst service of the Planet. I understand your frustration, because I had the same thing with my MDAC and 10 more units. Even, Mr John Westlake, the MDAC designer, says that these RCA connectors are not too good, and also he has had the same problem.

Its wonderful that you are enjoying your sound that much! Sorry for my dare Bro. I wish you a super happy listening!

Roberto, I really don't know what you are sorry for. Your suggestions are welcomed.

Last edited:
I was getting very occasional dropouts when playing music from my Mac Mini, and thought it was possibly because my external (music storage) disk and DAC were both on the USB bus (not a recommended configuration), so I bought a Thunderbolt to USB converter made by Kanex, and now run the disk from the Thunderbolt port. I have to wait and see if I still get dropouts.

The converter was cheapest (believe it or not) on the Apple Store. It's a really small device, with a short, captive Thunderbolt cable.

Last edited:
I was getting very occasional dropouts when playing music from my Mac Mini, and thought it was possibly because my external (music storage) disk and DAC were both on the USB bus (not a recommended configuration), so I bought a Thunderbolt to USB converter made by Kanex, and now run the disk from the Thunderbolt port. I have to wait and see if I still get dropouts.

The converter was cheapest (believe it or not) on the Apple Store. It's a really small device, with a short, captive Thunderbolt cable.

Bernard, I use the mac mini and have no dropout issues whatsoever. A friend of mine uses a dedicated PC, not a mac, and has dropout issues. He converts USB output to SPDIF, with a converter, I believe. It is a curious problem. Since I use an Ayre QB-9 DSD DAC, and it separates the power from the USB and generates its own and also is asynchronous, I wonder if that is the difference?

Steve, I too use a USB to SPDIF converter, and it also has its own power source. I got the Thunderbolt converter a few days ago, but have not been listening much as I've been busy ripping my wife's CDs, so I don't yet know if it's cured the problem. As I said, though, it was very occasional (maybe 5 times in the last few months).

Almost every article I've read on setting up a music server states that you should not use the same bus for the disk and the DAC, but of course they don't state that you will definitely have a problem.

Member Name: Bernard

ML Model: SL3
Year Purchased: 2000
Mods/Changes: Changed one of the electrolytic capacitors in each speaker to a Black Gate capacitor; it made no difference. Home-made traps on woofer cabinets (picture on page 7). Home-made jumpers.

Analog: VPI: HW19 Mk IV Turntable, JMW 10 Arm, PLC, HW 16.5 Record Cleaner,
Koetsu Rosewood Cartridge, Fozgometer, OregonDV spikes under turntable

Digital: Marantz CDR633 CD Recorder/Player, Mac Mini, Gustard U12 USB/SPDIF converter

Tuner: Marantz 112

Amplification: ARC SP9 Mk II tube preamp (modified), ARC VTM120 monoblock tube power amplifiers (110 watts/channel)

Cables: Cardas Neutral Reference interconnects and speaker cables, Cardas Lightning digital cable

Other stuff: VPI Bricks, Salamander rack, IKEA lamp, Dayton OmniMic Measurement System, Shun Mook Mpingo disks

Comments and/or stories about Martin Logan experience: I used to own Quad 57s, and loved them, except that the soundstage was flat in my room, which I think was too small for them (the soundstage was great in the showroom). Then I listened to a pair of SL3s in a small showroom; the soundstage was deep, and with instruments outside the speakers, so I bought them. I used to drive them with a power amp that was providing an inadequate 50 watts/channel (purchased during my Quad days); the upgrade to the ARCs really made them sing !

I just moved (Sept 2008) from a 16'x12'x8' dedicated music room to a 20'x14'x10.5' living room. Room treatments to come.

Bernard, I know you have to move your chair to experiment with the seating position, but you are taking 'sweet spot is in the center' too literally

Edit: Oh darn. That quote didn't capture your attached pic with the chair.

When you have dropouts, does the music appear to continue playing or does the music stop when it drops out?

The most common problem with dropouts has to do with buffer sizes. it is probably too small, is overrun and temporarily "drops out" until it can purge and execute.

Bernard, I know you have to move your chair to experiment with the seating position, but you are taking 'sweet spot is in the center' too literally

Edit: Oh darn. That quote didn't capture your attached pic with the chair.
Kedar, I only just saw this. That's not where I sit!

When you have dropouts, does the music appear to continue playing or does the music stop when it drops out?

The most common problem with dropouts has to do with buffer sizes. it is probably too small, is overrun and temporarily "drops out" until it can purge and execute.
It may be a problem related to a Bit Perfect problem I currently have, and am trying to troubleshoot with their support. I should have lots of buffer space, but I'll double-check it. Thanks.

image.jpg

My new DIY DAC. Details here:
http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?16721-Lampizated-DAC-Kit

I just purchased a used MIT Digital Reference coaxial cable, which I am now using between my USB/SPDIF converter and my DAC; it replaced a Cardas Lightning cable. I used to have the MIT, but sold it when I went to an integrated CDP.

I knew it was a good cable, but was surprised at the impact on my system...instruments are located more accurately, there's more space between them, the bass is better, etc. I'm really pleased with it.

Not bad at all for 120 euros.

Bernard, isn't great when the 'little things' make a profound difference !

Latest posts

Back