System #166 (Sequel II)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Rabbit house,

I Love your room. Just remember -- size doesn't matter! It is all about the acoustics, and I think you have managed the acoustics beautifully. I also love the look of your equipment. I have the same CD/SACD player and really enjoy it. How do you like your Marantz monobloc amplifiers? They look gorgeous and probably sound just as nice.

The green color is nice, but personally I would lean toward the blue -- like in your picture showing the system in theater mode. I think that look is really nice. But if the green is what you like, then green is what it should be.

Welcome to the club.

Hey Rabbit house,

I Love your room. Just remember -- size doesn't matter! It is all about the acoustics, and I think you have managed the acoustics beautifully. I also love the look of your equipment. I have the same CD/SACD player and really enjoy it. How do you like your Marantz monobloc amplifiers? They look gorgeous and probably sound just as nice.

The green color is nice, but personally I would lean toward the blue -- like in your picture showing the system in theater mode. I think that look is really nice. But if the green is what you like, then green is what it should be.

Welcome to the club.

Thank you for your warm welcome comments, Rich!

I bought ML without thinking about the size of my room. After purchasing them, I had no choice except to making efforts to get a good sound here. As I am a developping engineer, I can enjoy those efforts very much.

I'm very grad to hear you own "SA-11S1". Whole the marantz equipments I have are incredibly awesome. Especially the control amp. "SC-7S1" is my favorite. When I watched the step corespendence wave output in Japanese audio magazine, I decided to buy "SC-7S1" without any hesitation. It was so amazing wave figure. Ordinal people buy a equipment after listening it, but I bought it without listening. Oh no! I'm an engineer. :)
Do you know Marantz has just developed their new flagship SACD player "SA-7S1". Though I have never listened from this yet, but I am looking forward to listening.

I swear the sound in my room is very nice because I regulated the sound properly for a small room after tries and errors. I think I could get much from those efforts.

As for the color, you are right. I love blue, too. Maybe, I might change the color because it is not so difficult to change the bulbs of the lights!
Blue color might give more tender image!

As for the illumination for amps and player, I uses gray light to get a beautiful Marantz's golden color.

Thanks again, I will describe the impression if I could have the chance to try new Marantz's products. ;)

Shuji

Last edited:
Stopping the vibration on grills of ML speakers

I raised a new thread in tweak toppics according to Beat_dominator's advice, please check it.:rocker:

Attachments

• IMG_4511b.jpg
    IMG_4511b.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 419
Looks like it's pending moderator review! I'm interested in what you've done here ;)

Hi Beat,

I showed the results in tweak thread. I made an experiment this time how big the influence is when I fix the ML panel partially with these devices. The results were very good. Now I understand how much high frequency sound we lose by the panel vibrations. I'll make more devices fully for ML panels. :)

Shuji

Installed the anti-vibration devices on the full panels

I have installed the front and back anti-vibration devices on the full panels for my Seaquel IIs, because I've got a good result from the experiment. :rocker:

After the installation, I've got a very live sound with very rich high frequency.
As the result, my audio room became too live, so I regulated the room acoustic by increasing the area of absorbers on walls.

I'll describe about the details in the tweak post.

P.S. I've rearranged this thread for updating.

Shuji

Attachments

• IMG_4536a.jpg
    IMG_4536a.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 360
Last edited:
Rabbit,

Where did you get those absorbers/diffusors?

Your ML speakers look.... crazy!!!

Joey ;)

Rabbit,

Where did you get those absorbers/diffusors?

Your ML speakers look.... crazy!!!

Joey ;)

Joey,

I made those by myself. As for materials, I bought them at near DIY shops or through internet.

I'm sure my wife will totally agree w/ you. She always complain that I don't take care of my daughter, but think about my sons, Sequel IIs. :p

Shuji

Very interesting results! Was the improvement mostly in the higher frequencies?

Beat,

Sure. I've got an amazing progress especially about the percussion sound.
I think high frequency sounds are essential for them in a level and a phase.
I'm always looking forward to watching your comments, they help me for checking my way sometimes.

My next trial would be making horns for woofers to get the reality about low sounds.

Shuji

Shuji,

Few are as hardcore as you are....

Dont forget about your daughter!!

Joey ;)

First time I've checked out this thread. My first reaction is that it's INTERESTING. My second is that it's has much to do about vibrations affecting the final product, read listening experience.

Assuming vibration is the issue and as many of you know, vibration on ALL components affect the end product, I would humbly suggest for our most honored Japanese member to the ML club, that vibration induced distortion from the ML panels, is not the major factor, and in all likely hood is a small factor, in the overall sonic signature of a system.

My personal experience with Mapleshade products, specifically their brass cones under components, effectively addresses vibration induced colorations, from the upstream end.

GG

First time I've checked out this thread. My first reaction is that it's INTERESTING. My second is that it's has much to do about vibrations affecting the final product, read listening experience.

Thank you very much for reading my thread,GG. I would be very happy if you could feel anything from those. As you say, now I think we have to be careful about all vibrations in our system including our room.

Assuming vibration is the issue and as many of you know, vibration on ALL components affect the end product, I would humbly suggest for our most honored Japanese member to the ML club, that vibration induced distortion from the ML panels, is not the major factor, and in all likely hood is a small factor, in the overall sonic signature of a system.
Though I'm not your most honored Japanese member to the ML club but a tiny rabbit in a small room from a small country ;) , I'm always serching for where is the weakest link in my system to get the sound w/ much reality. When I assume it, think about the solution, do the modification and get the big improvement, I feel much satisfaction from my heart. Of course, sometimes it occurs a small improvement. I think the ability of our system results in the multiplication of the ability of each equipment and room acoustic.

I'd like to show if the improvement is big or not from my modifications for your reference.

1. Lead weight on the top of ML panels and dampers on the surface of panels ... post #9 & 17
Middle. The direction is OK, but I want to modify the spikes of my Seaquels to get the similar effect. I think the distance between the front and back spikes is too short for the tall speakers. As for the dampers on the panels, I like the speed feeling and the sensitive sound of ML, this improve the advantage of ML. So I added the No.7.
2. Handmade cables ... post #26, 27 & 28
Middle. I developed SP cables comparing to Ortfon's cable with silver plated wires as for SP cables, and interconnect cables to Audioquest's cables.
I chose mine.
3. Power source ... post #32
Big. I persuade you all. It's essential, I think. Especially using AC100-120 in your indoor cable, you had better check the guage and think about any solution.
4. Room acoustics ... post #35
Big. We hear the sound of our room!!!
5. Small topic..."The effect of Japanese coins" ... post #41
Surprisingly big in my room with Gypsum boards.
6. Rearrangement of room appearance ... post #56
I can't understand big or small. But relaxation is important.
7. Stopping the vibration on grills of ML speakers ... post #63 & 66
Big. I want to suggest to increase the thickness of the panels to ML. It seems the material of the panel is steel. If they adopt the alminum and increase the thickness, I think the stiffness will be up in a same weight. I love ML, so I hope somebody from ML watches my threads. :D

My personal experience with Mapleshade products, specifically their brass cones under components, effectively addresses vibration induced colorations, from the upstream end.

GG

I've checked the Mapleshade products through internet. They looks great!
Actually I've tried many insulators including spikes, I think the effects are quite big. Though it's a very secret, I have one original idea about this. I will show you the results someday after the experiments. ;)

I want to continue this hobby to the end of my life, I would be able to try many things and very happy because I can't find any end of the tunnel.

Shuji

Last edited:
Thickening the panels is a very interesting idea! I had never thought of what that might do to the ML curvalinear design.

I have installed the front and back anti-vibration devices on the full panels for my Seaquel IIs, because I've got a good result from the experiment. :rocker:

Shuji,

These things might work GREAT, but if I actually had to LOOK at them, it would RUIN the experience for me! I think if it were to make that big of a difference ML would have made the design different in the first place. I do appreciate your creativity though!

... I think if it were to make that big of a difference ML would have made the design different in the first place. ...

James,

Thank you for the comment.

As I am a developing designer for industrial robots, actually at first I thought if I could remake the panel by myself, but I gave it up because I can't set the film. :eek:
I respect the ML deigners for their products and think even I want to work with them.

I guess they might think like this;
* As the metal panel is like an enclosure for an ordinal cone SP, it shoud be enough stiff not to vibrate.
* But pannel should be holed for the sound waves to pass them with minimum loss. So they wanted to increase the area of the holes as much as they could.
* And the area as an electrode is important.
* They caliculated the vibration and made experiments changing the thickness and the hole size, and finally they decided the final products thinking about the cost performance.
* As for the painting, they chose it thinking about the insulation.

But still I think the possibility as follows;
* We can make holes which gap between holes is 1/25.4 inch.
* The stiffness/weight ratio for alminum is bigger than that of steel. It means that if they adopt alminum, they can make stiffer panel or they can increase the area of holes.
* Nowadays painting makers are developping many kinds of anti-vibration paint. They can adopt these. (I don't know if they have already used these or not.)
* There is the possibility to use spot-welded ribs for panels.

I made those anti-vibration devices after small experiment because there might occur bad influence to the sound as follows;
* The plates themselves might vibrate and make another noises.
* They might disturb the sound.
* They might have the effect as fins as Beat-Dominator indicated in the tweak post.

I thought like those but please don't doubt if I love ML products or not! ;)

Shuji

Last edited:
You work on industial robots?! I want to see some photos of those! :p

I agree that there is plenty of room for improvement in the ML panels, but as you mentioned.... cost will have to play its role in deciding the final product!

You work on industial robots?! I want to see some photos of those! :p ......
Beat,

Actually we have developed many kinds of robot including ordinal manimulators, welding robots and underwater robots.
As I'm afraid of any trouble with our customers, I will show one of very specialized robot for power companies.

This robot with more than 20 servos is called "Spider man". This robot has four arms and can move on the vertical plate doing the cleaning and inspection task automatically. We were awarded for this robot two times from assotiations.:rocker:

Shuji

Attachments

• 25_01.jpg
    25_01.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 365
Beat,

Actually we have developed many kinds of robot including ordinal manimulators, welding robots and underwater robots.
As I'm afraid of any trouble with our customers, I will show one of very specialized robot for power companies.

This robot with more than 20 servos is called "Spider man". This robot has four arms and can move on the vertical plate doing the cleaning and inspection task automatically. We were awarded for this robot two times from assotiations.:rocker:

Shuji

Wow that's very neat! Thank you for sharing :)

Latest posts

Back