Sunday Morning Music

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peter Blegvad ~ Just Woke Up
Van Morrison ~ Astral Weeks Live at the Hollywood Bowl

Attachments

• blegvad.jpg
    blegvad.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 173
  • 55a03304497d4574.jpg
    55a03304497d4574.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 176
double ditto here on 'Hope'.. first heard it at the Montreal Audio Show a few years ago and picked it up the same day. Whenever I make a change in my system, it's pretty much the first thing that goes on. Love the CD and would love to hear it on a great system again.

Yeah, no doubt a fantastic demo disc that also happens to be great music. One of my favorites no doubt. I first heard it when on a factory tour at Avalon Acoustics. I listened to the whole album over a pair of Edilon Diamonds and bought it on my way home that afternoon.

The CD is good. I haven't heard the Acoustic Sounds release on SACD, but I have it on 2 slabs of 45RPM vinyl, and it trounces the CD in every way, so much so that the CD now resides in the car only.

I was traveling last week, so I made time for some vinyl this morning to make up for it. I started with Ansermet conducting L'Orchestre De La Suisse Romande in Albeniz "Iberia" and the Turina "Danzas Fantasicas" on a fabulous Decca pressing.

Next up was the awesome sounding Analog Productions remaster of Shelly Manne and Jack Marshall's "Sounds Unheard Of!". This is without question an amazing demonstration disc with some of the best percussion I've heard captured in a recording. I really like it, but can't make up my mind if it's really brilliant music making or simply aural fireworks - likely a little of both.

Lastly a treat for the boys down under (Amey01 and Scumurculum). Just looking for something I hadn't listened to in awhile I pulled out Goanna's "Spirit of Place". It's actually a very fun album with a lot of good songs on it. Reminds me in places of a mix between Buckingham/Nicks era Fleetwood Mac and laterday Split Enz/early Crowded House. Are they still around down in Australlia?

Attachments

• AlbinezMannGoanna.jpg
    AlbinezMannGoanna.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Jetho Tull this morning "Thick as a Brick"

This afternoon is Pandora Radio

Attachments

• folder.jpg
    folder.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 163
Spirit of Place is one of my favourites, and has been since my late teens - Solid Rock was the song that first opened my teenager eyes to the whole plight of the Australian Aboriginal. Razor's Edge so summed up my life as a poor university student in brisbane.

The band has been a bit quiet since the early 80's but i belive they do get togther form time to time for special gigs

If you like that album may I suggest another classic Aussie album of the 80's -Born Sandy Devotional by the Triffids, or perhaps any album by the Go Betweens.

Absolute classics and have and always will be on high rotation in my house.

Last edited:
Got a lot of time to myself today so it was all Pink Floyd and Roger Waters.

Attachments

• DSC02566.JPG
    DSC02566.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 160
Sunday Evening music this week too. I went for a long bike ride today so I'm enjoying some tunes and a few "recovery drinks".

Is there anybody in music today sexier than Chan Marshal (AKA Cat Power)? I think not! And what an amazing voice and delivery. Been spinning her two latest "Jukebox" and "Dark End of the Street".

Right now it's a journey through the past thanks to The Cure and "The Head on the Door". The CLS 's sound amazing on "The Blood".

Attachments

• CatPowerJukebox.jpg
    CatPowerJukebox.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 155
  • CatPowerDarkEnd.jpg
    CatPowerDarkEnd.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 155
  • CureHeadontheDoor.jpg
    CureHeadontheDoor.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 157
A few Monday night tunes......Thanks for that Tim, haven't listened to it in ages!

Attachments

• IMG_0210 (600 x 450).jpg
    IMG_0210 (600 x 450).jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 151
Well it's not Sunday ....rather Monday and it's snowing like a banshee !!! I love it !! nice to have my office in my house, I'm taking Wayne's cue from the "Hollywood Bowl" and listening to ...Chuck Mangione live concert from said location !

Jetho Tull this morning "Thick as a Brick"

This afternoon is Pandora Radio

Outstanding... :music:

You have inspired me to go listen to "Thick as a Brick" and then some "Songs from the Wood"

I just finished listening to Porcupine Tree's "Fear of a Blank Planet" the DVD Audio just arrive from over the pond. Amazon only had the CD version.

Attachments

• 41iG8bTQnCL__SL160_AA115_.jpg
    41iG8bTQnCL__SL160_AA115_.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 198
Outstanding... :music:

You have inspired me to go listen to "Thick as a Brick" and then some "Songs from the Wood"

I just finished listening to Porcupine Tree's "Fear of a Blank Planet" the DVD Audio just arrive from over the pond. Amazon only had the CD version.

One of my favorite shows of all time was seeing Jethro Tull at a warehouse in New Orleans back in '71.

No Saturday night (late night) listeners [cheaters] have beat me this week - amazing!

Mavis Staples - Hope at the Hideout.
James Blunt - All the Lost Souls
Sarah Harmer - All of Our Names

Attachments

• ms.jpg
    ms.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 180
  • jb.jpg
    jb.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 179
  • sh.jpg
    sh.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 179
Went down to my favorite record store yesterday and picked up 2 albums.

Ben Harper Will to Live is another live album. I think this one has only been released on vinyl.
John Mayer Where the Light Is Live in LA. His studio stuff is pretty good, but when I see clips of him playing live it seems like he holds back too much in the studio. This is a 4-record album and is pretty darn good.

Attachments

• Harper Live.jpg
    Harper Live.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 194
  • Mayer Live.jpg
    Mayer Live.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 184
Dave Brubeck

I am now on Disc 3 of Dave Brubeck's Time Signatures box set. Some great stuff here including vocals by Louie Armstrong!

Attachments

• 514shIfyojL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
    514shIfyojL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 174
This One's A Mouthful

Francois Couperin's L'Apotheose a la memoire de Lully/ L'Apotheose de Corelli/ Concerts Nouveaux 8 & 13 to be followed with some Vivaldi and then one of Handel's Oratorios, "Athalia" I think.

Attachments

• IMG_0036.jpg
    IMG_0036.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Powderfinger - These Days (Live)
Corinne May - Beautiful Seed
A Fine Frenzy - One Cell in the Sea

Then, I listened another one from last week - Mavis Staples (Live - Hope at the Hideout) again.

Attachments

• these days.jpg
    these days.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 140
  • beautiful seed (300 x 283).jpg
    beautiful seed (300 x 283).jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 136
  • aff.jpg
    aff.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 134
Janis Ian Live- Working Without a Net

Great 2-CD (24 song) compilation of some live performances spanning over a decade. Excellent recording, and intelligently mastered with alternating tracks of her reminiscing/introducing tracks, then the song on the following track (so you can optionally rip/listen to only the song tracks).

Attachments

• JanisIanLive.jpg
    JanisIanLive.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 123
Awsome Jazz - Chris Botti Live - BluRay

Just watched / Listened to the Chris Botti Live with orchestra and special guests concert on BluRay.

This was a great experience, the music is great, the artists are all top-notch and the soundtrack is 5.1 24/96 uncompressed PCM (on the BluRay).

Video quality is over the top on BR, and looked wonderful on the 100” screen.

Well worth it for you Jazz fans.

Attachments

• ChrisBottiLiveBR.jpg
    ChrisBottiLiveBR.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 122

Latest posts

Back