Sunday Morning Music

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ironing?.......................................... ........................

She is speaking of heavy metal I'm sure.

Doug - out

Last edited:
Very "Sunday morning" sunday morning music for me today..

Katie Melua - Pictures
Natalie Merchant - Tigerlilly
Sarah McLachlan - Surfacing

Attachments

• Katie+Melua+-+Pictures.jpg
    Katie+Melua+-+Pictures.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 295
  • MusicCatalog_S_Sarah McLachlan - Surfacing_Sarah McLachlan - Surfacing.jpg
    MusicCatalog_S_Sarah McLachlan - Surfacing_Sarah McLachlan - Surfacing.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 289
  • mfua274giant.jpg
    mfua274giant.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 290
Jackson Browne Acoustic solo vol II and ZZ Top's Live From Texas DVD !

Attachments

• 27592238.JPG
    27592238.JPG
    13.5 KB · Views: 291
  • j81572u4ow2.jpg
    j81572u4ow2.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 291
Enjoying a DVD on my new preamp, a concert by Porcupine Tree of course.

Arriving somewhere is an AWESOME disc with an excellent DTS surround soundtrack.

A must for any fan, and a great way to meet the band if you've never heard their discs before.

4166SEe%2BfAL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Porc. Tree

This is a great DVD. Recorded at their show at the Park West in Chicago. I had a chance to go with a friend but had to work. I bought the disc, and I think I should have gotten out of the job for that evening. Oh well, next time I guess.
Doug - out

Heard an interesting interview this morning on NPR, with South African-Indian musician Deepak Ram, who plays the bamboo flute. His newest CD Steps features some american jazz standards, as well as his own compositions. From what I heard on the radio, it sounded excellent. Unfortunately, Amazon is currently out of stock. For those interested in a World Jazz perspective, here's the NPR link for more info...

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=91377886

Attachments

• steps.jpg
    steps.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 269
I'm cheating a bit too because this was a "Monday night music" - but I couldn't help to post because I had one of those listening sessions where my system was just sounding effin' good - damn effin' good!
I was just sitting there with the volume up louder than I usually have in another world. Geez I love that.

My wife finally came screaming in "Turn that booming crap down - you have had long enough - aren't you going to help with the ironing?"
ARRRRGH!

Eric Clapton - Unplugged.

Wives! Sometimes they really don't get it! Clapton or Ironing, hmmm?

Got a new batch of CDs to add to my collection - Listening to one of them this morning for the 1st time.
Diana Krall Live in Paris. I'm not a big fan of live albums, but this sounds pretty good so far.

Attachments

• Krall Paris.jpg
    Krall Paris.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 224
Been so busy on the weekends that I haven't had a chance to post here for a long while. This weekend though I did take the time to get a listen in on some wonderful new vinyl that had just come in. I started off with Diana Krall's "The Girl in the Other Room". After that came Shelby Lynn's tribute to Dusty Springfield "Just a Little Lovin'". Richard Thonpson took center stage after that with his all acoustic album from a few years ago "Front Parlour Ballads". Last up was Ry Cooder's masterfull blend of western and eastern music on "A Meeting By the River". If you haven't heard this album yet, you simply must. Although it sounds suspect at first to think about blending Cooder's bluesy slide work with Indian themes and sitar and tabla like instumentation, the end result is nothing short of mesmerizing. Originally recorded on the Waterlilly label as an all analog recording this has always been as standout on both CD and SACD, but the new Acoustic Sounds pressing on 45 RPM vinyl is stunning. Absolutely silent surfaces and an increase in the acoustic envelope over the CD that made my jaw drop. If you are into vinyl this one has to be on your short list!

Attachments

• KrallLynnThompsCooder.jpg
    KrallLynnThompsCooder.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Van Morrison - Poetic Champions Compose
Kate Ceberano - Blue Box
Corinne and Company - Dusk
The Audreys - Between Last night and us
Ani DiFranco - Live at Carnegie Hall

Attachments

• Van_morrisson-poetic.jpg
    Van_morrisson-poetic.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 140
  • 180px-KateCeberanoalbumcover.jpg
    180px-KateCeberanoalbumcover.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 146
  • AUDREYS-CD4_large.jpg
    AUDREYS-CD4_large.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 139
  • ani.jpg
    ani.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 144
  • 152.jpg
    152.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 141
Great Album

How does thiis one compare to "Living in Clip"

Wayne, I don't have the one Amey was talking about, but wanted to chime in on "Living in Clip" - Great, fun album. Ani is occasionally a VERY angry gal, but she's got something to say and the chops to pull it off. Most of her stuff sounds great too.

My Sunday Morning Music today started with Vivaldi, the "Complete Concertos Op. 11 & Op. 12" with Accardo conducting I Musici. After that I spun the Pat Metheny Group's "Full Circle" on a pristine ECM pressing. Next up was Steely Dan's "Katie Lied", one of my favorites by them. Right now it's The Sunday's (how appropriate?!?) "Static and Silence". I have no idea what lead vocalist Harriet Wheeler looks like, but she SOUNDS gorgeous. Great stuff!

Attachments

• VivMethSundDan.jpg
    VivMethSundDan.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 141
Dead Can Dance - SACD

Sunday morning, Sunday afternoon, Sunday evening ....

Non-Stop eargasm with the newly released SACD re-issues of the entire Dead Can Dance back catalog.

Stunning sonics (considering the masters were not 'audiophile' grade) for some of my favorite music in the world.

Lisa Gerrard's vocals on a well tuned MartinLogan set in a good room is something beyond words...

Attachments

• Folder.jpg
    Folder.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 246
I have also been rocking the DCD SACDs non stop all day. I did some A-B between the SACD and the redbook. It is no contest!! The SACD has a massive soundstage and the detail is outstanding. Again I know it is “green” but I miss the jewel cases CDs and SACD come in. All the new SACDs and CD I have been getting come in those paper cases that I just hate.

... Again I know it is “green” but I miss the jewel cases CDs and SACD come in. All the new SACDs and CD I have been getting come in those paper cases that I just hate.

Complete agree there my freind.

Anyone know of good way to store and protect cardboard based CD 'sleeves'?

Anyone know of good way to store and protect cardboard based CD 'sleeves'?

If they're CDs, rip 'em to FLAC and mothball them.

If they're SACDs, things get a little more difficult.

I don't have too many of them, but what I do (and I'll probably get flamed because of the poor artwork :eek:) is put the SACD in a regular CD-R jewel case. I don't throw the original away (heaven forbid), but I do store it and never access it.

I hate them for two reasons:

1: They're difficult to remove from a shelf;
2: They make the SACD difficult to remove from the housing.

Last edited:
Today's listening...

I started off with the new impulse! limited release of "Ballads" by the John Coltrane Quartet (John, McCoy Tyner, Jimmy Garrison and Elvin Jones). This music is sublime, perfect for a Sunday morning. If you come across any of the new impulse! limited editions, I say pick 'em up! They sound wonderful.
344378567_2csDJ-S.jpg

After listening to jazz ballads, I was in the mood for a little more jazz. "Further Explorations", by the Horace Silver Quintet fit the bill. I really like this album, as it starts a little soft and builds until it swings. Really nice album with excellent trumpet, tenor sax and piano. This is the 200 gram Classic Records version and the sound quality is very good.
344378639_Szs85-S.jpg

Now I was in the mood for a little more bluesy sound with some jazzy guitar added to the mix. Bam! Savoy Brown's "Raw Sienna" was next. Savoy Brown did a few more recordings with Chris Youlden as the singer, but later on went for more of a pop rock sound. Chris went on to become one of England's greatest blues singers.
344378576_ZwJtH-S.jpg

Back