Sunday Morning Music

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lot's of vinyl spinning this morning. Started off with Ravel and Ibert with Paray and the Detroit Symphony on a Mercury Living Presence reissue. Next up was Jacintha's smooth "Autumn Leaves" tribute to Johnny Mercer, followed by Sonny Rollin's live "Our Man in Jazz". Right now it's Sigur Ros "Hoppipolla"

Attachments

• RavJanRollSig.jpg
    RavJanRollSig.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 191
Going a little old school this week, none of the albums are exactly "new". I actually started off listening late last night with Sara McLaughlin on the Classic dual release that includes both "Fumbling Towards Exstacy" and "The Freedom Sessions". Followed that with the Analog Productions pressing of Janis Ian's "Breaking Silence" and then gave a spin to Liz Phair's deeply biting "Exile in Guyville" on Matador. This morning it was Dead Can Dance on an import pressing of "Spiritchaser", then a listen to my nearly 35 year old copy of Dan Fogelberg's "Souvenirs", and currently spinning another classic, Tom Petty's "Damn the Torpedo's".

Still hard for me to believe Dan Fogelberg is dead. Listening to that album brought a flood of memories back to me. So many great artists on that album - Joe Walsh (who played and produced), his soon to be Eagles bandmates Glenn Fry, Don Henly and Randy Meisner, America frontman Gerry Beckley, Grahm Nash, Russ Kunkel - truely a stellar lineup. I listened to that album over and over, fresh out of high school, trying to figure out who I was. In some ways it helped define me.

I remember stopping off with some friends one night in a little store up in Nederland, just up Boulder canyon. I was trying to decide if I could afford both a hot dog and a coke since my buddy Tom was asking to borrow some money to get some beef jerky. I remember it was cold outside, just on the verge of snow. The door to the store opened and the bells above it jingled. The guy at the front counter said "Hey Dan, how ya doin' tonight" and they guy replied "Good Buddy, how 'bout you" among other small talk. He walked right past me and nodded his head on his way to get a six pack of beer and I recognised that it was in fact Dan Fogelberg (he was living in Nederland at the time). I was too dumbfounded and awestruck to say anything to him, and I probably would have stumbled all over my words even if I'd have had the presence of mind to open my mouth. I was a geeky, spindly 18 year old and he was just plain cool and worldly as he picked up the beer that I couldn't legally touch, and then he was gone out the door. I'll never forget it as insignificant as it sounds.

Attachments

• McLauglIanPhair.jpg
    McLauglIanPhair.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 166
  • DCDFogelPetty.jpg
    DCDFogelPetty.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 369
  • Fogelberg.jpg
    Fogelberg.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
The door to the store opened and the bells above it jingled. The guy at the front counter said "Hey Dan, how ya doin' tonight", I recognised that it was in fact Dan Fogelberg (he was living in Nederland at the time). I was too dumbfounded and awestruck to say anything to him.

It just proves ....you meet some of the nicest people in Colorado !

Neet story Tim !

Heck, Tom's CLX session must have inspired me. That, and the fact that we've had visitors from England the past two weeks so there has been no listening.

So it was a mighty long listen this morning, with:

Tord Gustavsen Trio - Being There
Mazzy Star - So tonight that I might see
Mazzy Star - Among my Swan
Vienna Teng - Dreaming through the noise
Natalie Imbruglia - Left of the middle

Attachments

• Tord_Gustavsen_W_Being_There_M_Being_There.jpg
    Tord_Gustavsen_W_Being_There_M_Being_There.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 131
  • ms.jpg
    ms.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 141
  • amongmyswan.jpg
    amongmyswan.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 134
  • dttnoise.jpg
    dttnoise.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 145
  • leftofthemiddle.jpg
    leftofthemiddle.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
OK, I’ll cheat a bit, as this is Saturday night music ;)

Now that the room is performing so well, the mid-bass and bass slam is all there, nice and clean, so rock and ‘dance’/ electronica music is now very, very enjoyable.
(most of this stuff is pretty heavy in the 80 to 500Hz, an area where non-tweaked ML’s in untreated rooms struggle with)

The album I spun all the way through is a great set of compositions with a wide range of awesome singers.

The ‘Group’ is called Sleepthief and the album is The Dawnseeker

Fans of Mythos, Delirium, Enigma, etc. will love this album.

The recording is excellent, and soundstage is HUGE. Either in 2ch on the Monoliths or in full 7.1 TriField glory, this album just immerses you in incredible soundfields.
ML's reveal all the detail of the incredible vocals on these tracks.

51RZ5JPRBWL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Hey Tim, where did you find that oversized CD of Spritchaser by Dead can Dance? ;)

attachment.php

My copy seems much smaller …

BTW- Everyone who loves DCD should be aware that they are re-releasing their back catalog on SACD. Thread on that topic here.

He He He :D

I also have "Toward the Within" and "Into the Labarynth" in the true Hi Rez format Jon. Must admit I'm looking forward to getting them on SACD too though.

Some fun Fathers Day listening for me. The Faure "Requiem" with the Cambridge Singers and London Sinfonia led by John Rutter. Followed that with The Vince Guaraldi Trio's classic "Jazz Impressions of Black Orpheus". Next up was The Blue Nile's first LP "A Walk Across the Rooftops" on a wonderful Linn release (the were later signed to Warner Bros.). Right now it's Tori Amos "Under the Pink". The Tori's on PINK vinyl even! I've always enjoyed this album, possibly my favorite by her. I love the harmonies by Trent Reznor on "Past The Mission" - very unlike his Nine Inch Nails persona.

Attachments

• ReqGuarlBlueAmos.jpg
    ReqGuarlBlueAmos.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 198
  • ToriPink.jpg
    ToriPink.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
This AM its Jordan Zevon's new CD, insides out. Great CD, very unlike his dad's work. Also Big Head Todd and the Monster's new CD and the Flobots.

Some fun Fathers Day listening for me. The Faure "Requiem" with the Cambridge Singers and London Sinfonia led by John Rutter. Followed that with The Vince Guaraldi Trio's classic "Jazz Impressions of Black Orpheus".
I love the Fauré, Tim. This may be sacrilege, but Vince Guaraldi always makes me think of Charlie Brown. "Cast Your Fate to the Wind" is a song I like by the Sandpipers.

Today I got to listen to Jeff Wayne's Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds on SACD format. It sent a shiver up my spine. It is that awsome. aAso Jurney's Escape SACD also a classic.

Attachments

• WOW.jpg
    WOW.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 191
  • Escape.jpg
    Escape.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 204
Started things off this morning with Von Karajan conducting the Berliner Philharmoniker on Brukner's 8th Symphony. Followed that with the Classic reissue of Duke Ellingtons "Blues in Orbit", such a great recording.

Right now I am JAMMIN' hard to Bob Marley's "Exodus" on a MoFi reissue.

Holy Crap what a great album it is, I'd forgotten how much I like this record!!! LOUD!!!

(Edit: I noticed Wayne's online. I give it 10 minutes before theres a post about a big fat spliff).

Attachments

• BrukEllingMarley.jpg
    BrukEllingMarley.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
I haven't posted to this thread in the past but this morning's choice has compelled me to do so. I just broke a cd that I haven't listened to in quite some time. Faith Hope Love by King's X. I had forgotten what an amazing disc this is. Ty Tabor's voice is incredible and the musicianship of this band is very solid. I highly recommend this disc for a new and different choice although it may be hard to find at this point.

I am going to sit back, drink my coffee and enjoy some incredible tunes!

Attachments

• 2006405397.jpg
    2006405397.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 153
I am going to sit back, drink my coffee and enjoy some incredible tunes!

That's what this thread is all about Jim! (tilting my cup-o-joe to you as well).

I'm enjoying a stack of wax I bought up in Boulder last Sunday (I was on the road all week and haven't had a chance to sit down for a listen until this morning).

First up was a nice re-pressing of America's eponymous first album on the FridayMusic label. Followed that with P.J.Harvey's latest "White Chalk", which frankly I didn't enjoy nearly as much as "To Bring You My Love" or "Dry", but still a good listen. I did very much enjoy Marc Broussard's "Save Our Soul" which I have previously recommended in this thread as a CD, but the album offers up some very nice analog warmth and a better spatial presentation. Turned things up a notch for one of my favorite Smashing Pumpkins albums "Siamese Dream". I can't decide if this one or "Gish" is my favorite by them, so I may have to pull that out later.

Attachments

• AmerHarvBrouSmash.jpg
    AmerHarvBrouSmash.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 148
Live at the Monterey Jazz Festival Vol.1 a great compilation set featuring Louis Armstrong, Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk, Dave Brubeck, and others. This was a Fathers Day gift from my kids. Finally got them trained!

Attachments

• monterey.jpg
    monterey.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 150
First Listen

First listen on the New Summits
:music:Norah Jones ~ Come Away With Me:music:

Attachments

• summits.JPG
    summits.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 140
I'm cheating a bit too because this was a "Monday night music" - but I couldn't help to post because I had one of those listening sessions where my system was just sounding effin' good - damn effin' good!
I was just sitting there with the volume up louder than I usually have in another world. Geez I love that.

My wife finally came screaming in "Turn that booming crap down - you have had long enough - aren't you going to help with the ironing?"
ARRRRGH!

Eric Clapton - Unplugged.

Attachments

• ecu.jpg
    ecu.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 105
Back