Sunday Morning Music

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Craig, I'm here'in ya with the 'Blues', spinning my "Little Hatch" CD, recorded in
the 'Church' in salina, Ks

I'll have to order that one. After learning about what Chad has been doing with the Blue Heaven recording studio I'd like to start collecting some of those on CD including some that we heard at Acoustic Sounds.

Acoustic Sounds Stash...

I spent most of my sparetime this weekend starting to spin some of the stash I'd picked up either at Acoustic Sounds or the record stores in Lawrence. So little time, so much good music. Some of the highlights included Lightning Hopkins "Goin' Away" (one of the LP's we listened to on the Avalons at Acoustic Sounds), Joni Mitchell "Blue" (again, heard it on the Avalons), Mississippi John Hurt "Today" (GREAT acoustic music!), Otis Span "Otis Span IS the Blues", Sara K "Waterfalls", Sonny Rollins "Sonny Rollins and the Contemporary Leaders", and Donald Fagan's "Morph the Cat" which really has me joneszin' for the upcoming release of "Aja"!

Attachments

• LHopkins_GoinAway.jpg
    LHopkins_GoinAway.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 134
  • JMitchel_Blue.jpg
    JMitchel_Blue.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 132
  • MissJHurt_Today.jpg
    MissJHurt_Today.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 136
  • OtisSpan_Is the Blues.jpg
    OtisSpan_Is the Blues.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 133
  • SaraK_Waterfalls.jpg
    SaraK_Waterfalls.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 144
bought this for 50 cents on friday.

sounds absolutly brand new :music:

Attachments

• cover18_lg.jpg
    cover18_lg.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 130
bought this for 50 cents on friday.

sounds absolutly brand new :music:

Can you say SCORE! Nice job.

Along those lines I spied this little gem in a record store we were browsing in Lawrence during the National Get Together. Not quite the bargain that you got Huey, but I remember reading that "Blue Hawaii" was a highly sought collectable, so when I saw a VG rated copy for $28.00 I snatched it up. Got back home and was looking it up in my Goldmine catalog and about soiled myself when I matched the cover description and pressing number up and found out it was worth freakin' $800.00! Holy Cow, I thought, major score, but then I started reading the fine print and that price was for the version released on blue vinyl. My "Basic Black" copy is only worth about $80.00, still more than what I had paid for it, but really dashed my feelings like I was the lady that found a Jackson Pollok painting recently at a yard sale. Shoot!:mad:

And no, I haven't listened to it yet, haven't even cleaned it.:confused:

Attachments

• Blue%20Hawaii%20LP.jpg
    Blue%20Hawaii%20LP.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 132
Love my vinyl "luck" as well !

Tim, I know what you mean, thanks to Rayguns suggestion, my purchase of Pete Townsend and Ronnie Lane's "Rough-Mix" , on the Polydor label turned out to be damn near peeeeerfect !! It cleaned up beautifully. Having Eric Clapton along with Grahm Lyle and others makes this LP a keeper for sure.

Thanks Ray !!!

Attachments

• 962542.jpg
    962542.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 124
Instant Karma: The Amnesty International Campaign to Save Darfur Disc 2
Todays Artists perform John Lennon songs

Attachments

• darfur.jpg
    darfur.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 120
My daughter sent me this disc last week Very nice music using a few unusual sounds. passing trains and carpet tubes hit with CD cases.
Imogene Heap has a great voice and musical talents.

Attachments

• Imogene.jpg
    Imogene.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 99
More vinyl from the National Get Together

I'm still spinning vinyl from the National GTG, both from Acoustic Sounds and the shops in Lawrance. This morning it's been Harry Belafonte "Belafonte Sings the Blues", Miles Davis "The New Miles Davis Quintet" and the Dears "Gang of Losers" - kind of like Blur meets Radiohead, creepy, dark and delicious!

Attachments

• Belafonte-Blues.jpg
    Belafonte-Blues.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 99
  • Davis-NewQuartet.jpg
    Davis-NewQuartet.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 113
  • Dears-losers.jpg
    Dears-losers.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 109
Instant Karma: The Amnesty International Campaign to Save Darfur Disc 2
Todays Artists perform John Lennon songs

Wayne, the other day I heard an amazing cover of "Imagine" by Jack Johnson - is it on that album? Gonna have to pick that up, Thanks!

Wayne, the other day I heard an amazing cover of "Imagine" by Jack Johnson - is it on that album? Gonna have to pick that up, Thanks!
Yes it's on there, it's one of the better tracks. Green Days version of Working Class Hero is also great.

The project was put together to bring attention to the violence and uprising over the last 4 years in Darfur. Very ugly situation over there.

Both of these CDs are outstanding. Harry Big Daddy Hypolite "Louisiana Country Boy" and "The best of Acoustic" Jethro Tull.

Attachments

• 41DY6NSZ53L._AA240_.jpg
    41DY6NSZ53L._AA240_.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 150
  • 51CV2iSwDVL._AA240_.jpg
    51CV2iSwDVL._AA240_.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 155
A Digital Sunday

Jennifer Warnes; The Hunter; Tracy Chapman: New Beginnings; Macy Gray: On How Life Is. The DAC sounds good!

Not really Sunday morning music, but more like Sunday afternoon music. I needed some inspiration to mow the lawn, so nothing like some good ole rock and roll! I started with Last Train Home. First was their CD, "Last Good Kiss", followed by "Bound Away". If you haven't heard them, you are missing out. I recommend starting with "Last Good Kiss".
I then went to some real old vinyl. Older than Joey! First up was Cactus, "One Way...Or Another". I love this album. The song "Feel So Bad" has one of my favorite guitar solos of all time, using the wah wah pedal. Finally, I put on Joe Walsh, "Barnstorm". What can be said about this album that hasn't already been said. Very impressive via the MLs!

170948906-O.jpg

Nuthin...I took down my CD player and Preamp to get ready for the new Wadia that was supposed to arrive on Saturday. I went to the bank on Saturday morning to get the cash for the transaction but when I arrived at the bank they had already locked the doors for the day, an hour earlier than thier regularly scheduled time, supposedly in honor of the 4th of the July. I was kinda ****ed since they were already closed on Wednesday, the actual 4th of the July.

Anyways, I'll just wait until next Sunday for seriuos Sunday Morning Music. See ya next week.

I just got this CD and love it. This is a must have. I just got the 2 channel but still a WOW. Thanks for the tip!!

"Riding with the King" - Eric Clapton with B.B. King, DVD-Audio in 5.1 on my HT system.

Last edited:
Both of these CDs are outstanding. Harry Big Daddy Hypolite "Louisiana Country Boy" and "The best of Acoustic" Jethro Tull.

Cherian,
Picked up the Jethro Tull Title on your recommendation. 24 tracks of Pure Audio Bliss. Great F'n cd. Must have for any Tull fan. Great tunes that sound great on the ML's.:music:

Thanks for the Recommendation

This thread is costing me a fortune.

Just won a DVDa copy of Riding With The King on Ebay for $21 based on Craigs recommendation.

Back