Suncoast Audiophile Society hosting a Zoom conversation with Gayle Sanders/Eikon Audio

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepysurf

Reaction score
The Suncoast (and Sarasota) Audiophile Societies will be hosting a virtual (Zoom) meeting with Gayle Sanders on Sunday, Feb 28, starting 1 PM *EST*. Gayle debuted his new speaker company, Eikon Audio, in 2018, featuring an active (Class D), full-range speaker system, with (DSP controlled) drivers and AMT tweeter.

We'll be having a casual conversation with Gayle to hear his perspectives on the past and future of high-end audio. If you'd like to participate, PM me, and I'll forward the Zoom link.

Final bump for this Zoom meeting with Gayle. I'm surprised only one member, thus far, has asked to participate. PM me if interested, and I'll forward the Zoom link.

That was a fun, informative meeting. Gayle is a consummate gentleman and brings infectious enthusiasm and joy to this field.
Thank you for the invite and getting to hang out with a great group of people!

Watched the recording. Very nice to hear Gayle speak about the Statement e2 design.

His new venture is pretty cool, as I'm totally aligned with doing speaker management and running a fully active, tuned system.

BTW- the Eikon processor is based on the same platform used in the Legacy Audio Wavelet processor, which at $5K is a reasonable approach to building a kick-a$$ 2.0 or 2.1 with active crossovers and room correction.
That, plus a couple of amps and a refreshed (new panels, new woofer) classic single-woofer ML speaker set into the equivalent of some of the best modern speakers for around $10K.
Since it can do up to a four-way XO, it should also be able to handle dual-woofer designs like the Prodigy.

Watched the recording. Very nice to hear Gayle speak about the Statement e2 design.

It was, wasn't it. Such an awesome speaker - for me, the highest "want-factor" of any speaker out there.

His new venture is pretty cool, as I'm totally aligned with doing speaker management and running a fully active, tuned system.

It is. It looks like a promising architecture - but I got the feel that this implementation is very "first-generation" - things like "only" 24/96 and no DSD. The potential is there for something a lot more awesome than what it is currently.

It was nice to hear Gayle talking about how there is no reason why you couldn't use an ES panel on it too.

25K to be locked into one system is a big ask for me ( and no stats??). It was great to see Gayle and I so enjoy his enthusiasm for looking ahead.
The Legacy processor is really intriguing. Thanks for that idea. I scrolled through the manual and it looks identical to the Eikon demo we had. I just lose interest when I read all the computer files that have to moved, shifted and transferred and then the actual set up with layers upon layers of adjustments. But I could always ask Jonfo... I have a pair of CLSII and a fathom F113 just waiting to be tweaked with a Legacy.

Thanks for the invite to Suncoast. What a great group of people!

25K to be locked into one system is a big ask for me ( and no stats??)
Actually, the cost is in the ballpark for a really high-quality set of speakers, matched amplifiers (8 ch total) a speaker processor with Room Correction and preamp functions.

The fact that it's all a matched system with perfect integration is a huge bonus. Sort of like complaining that when you buy a Corvette C8, you are 'stuck' with a V8 powertrain and can't use your favorite steam-engine.

Also, Gayle knows full-well the challenges of selling stats and all the speaker-to-room integration challenges they bring. So he went with monopole dynamic speakers (with an AMT tweeter) as those are much easier to integrate into untreated spaces. Happier customers, less hassle for a small company.

The Legacy processor is really intriguing. Thanks for that idea. I scrolled through the manual and it looks identical to the Eikon demo we had. I just lose interest when I read all the computer files that have to moved, shifted and transferred and then the actual set up with layers upon layers of adjustments. But I could always ask Jonfo...
Heh, the downside of a tool like that is indeed all the setup (and associated knowledge) required to tune a system. The same for processors like the Trinnov Altitude (my next pre-pro) is a challenge even for folks like myself.
One of the reasons the Eikon system costs what it costs is all the system design and tuning done by Gayle and embodied in the factory settings for that processor.

For a CLS + subs setup, there are simpler options. Pre-pros with DIRAC room correction and support for 2.2 configurations are out there. Buy products with Dirac Live digital room correction from our partners — Dirac

You can even sample it for $500 with a miniDSP DDRC-24 between your pre-amp and amps/subs. Or heck that might be all you need. It is a very well documented and supported solution, and yours is a common use case of taking 2ch from a preamp, performing cross-overs at 80Hz to the mains, and running one or two subs. then running DIRAC room correction to integrate it all.

Thanks for all the great information. I like the idea of getting introduced with the mini DSP as you suggested with the CLS/sub and seems to be my speed. Will keep you posted.
Hopefully we will get a chance to hear the Eikon and let the ears decide. I still remember visiting Boston and strolling in to Goodwins and being lucky to have a listen to the Statement. Wow!
Thanks

Heh, the downside of a tool like that is indeed all the setup (and associated knowledge) required to tune a system. The same for processors like the Trinnov Altitude (my next pre-pro) is a challenge even for folks like myself.

For a CLS + subs setup, there are simpler options. Pre-pros with DIRAC room correction and support for 2.2 configurations are out there. Buy products with Dirac Live digital room correction from our partners — Dirac

JonFo, I wonder why they can't make a slimmed down easier to use plug and play version of the miniDSP? Learning curve would be like two days max. Plug in the microphone cable to your computer (USB?) or any connection that would work. Then pull up a program and click a run test button that gives you a sweep and then you make corrections and, OK, my idea just crapped out. How would we get the correction into a receiver so that it would work? I guess I could use the receiver EQ and correct as best as possible based on just a sweep. I don't know of anyway to get a 20-20,000hz sweep cheaply and easily. Like very easily. Got any ideas? It just seems that all this stuff is not near as easy as it should be in today's world of electronics. Maybe I can talk to Paul at PS Audio and see if he could make something. Heck if I know. Your pretty smart, how about a custom built JonFo product for say $300 that does the most basic sweeps? The cellphone apps for the IPhone are usually crap, I have not found a decent one yet.

Your pretty smart, how about a custom built JonFo product for say $300 that does the most basic sweeps?
Heh, thanks, I already make a $139 product that automatically adjusts itself to your internet line to optimize the Internet Quality. It's a game-changer on lines with Bufferbloat (most copper cable connections such as DSL/VDSL/Uverse). But it even fixes the upload bufferbloat on my Gigabit/35Mbps Cable line.
So pretty familiar with how to take complex problems and make them so my non-technical grandma / grandpa neighbors can deploy this in 15 minutes.

Check it out if you have internet stability issues: IQrouter

Disclosure: I'm the CEO and holder of two awarded patents on the tech in the IQrouter.

Once I sell this business, I think I will turn to something A/V related for my 'retirement' business.

Last edited:
JonFo, I wonder why they can't make a slimmed down easier to use plug and play version of the miniDSP?
The Eikon / Legacy / Wavelet processor is an advanced tool for designing/building active speaker systems first and foremost. It then adds RC as icing on the cake. For people like myself, it's a cool and powerful DIY active speaker processor. Making this accessible is near impossible. It has to be part of a pre-packed system, ergo the Eikon products.

But a miniDSP DDRC box is much more approachable, as putting one behind a 2ch pre-amp is just what it was made for.
Now, use of the 8 channel DDRC (actually 2 of them) is what some guys do just to switch from the Audyssey RC in the Marantz AV8802 to something more advanced in the RC domain.

If what you have is a receiver, these functions need to built-in, or you need to use preamp outs and supply your own amps.

The cellphone apps for the IPhone are usually crap, I have not found a decent one yet.
Everyone serious about audio needs to have this app on their phones. Totally worth the money, you get what you pay for here. Studio Six Digital AudioTools

An audiophile without this is like a carpenter without a tape measure.

I looked at the mini DSP but looking through the manual and the computer work that needs to be done just not my thing.
Using the ARC for the 11A was about my speed.
In the meantime I will use by basic room correction method 1-2 Cosmos...and voila-flat curve.
As always, appreciate all your expertise in this area. Thanks!

Gayle's Eikon (also Legacy Audio) both use the Böhmer Audio PerfectWave Preamplifier. Legacy actually sells the standalone unit as the Legacy Wavelet so it's already possible to incorporate that technology into a pre-existing electrostatic system. I've thought about trying that approach. However, since ML, is now fully committed to Anthem Room Correction, I'm going to stick with that "ecosystem" (at least for now). There's rumor that ARC Genesis will be adding automated speaker distance and phase calculations, so I'm hoping my Anthem MRX 740 (on order) will eventually be able to do that, and I'll be happy with the results. If not, I'll consider other options.

While this was on my calendar, I was otherwise occupied in our local ER! Unless I missed it, I didn't see a link for where the recorded event was posted. Can someone help me out with that?

Gayle's Eikon (also Legacy Audio) both use the Böhmer Audio PerfectWave Preamplifier. Legacy actually sells the standalone unit as the Legacy Wavelet so it's already possible to incorporate that technology into a pre-existing electrostatic system. I've thought about trying that approach. However, since ML, is now fully committed to Anthem Room Correction, I'm going to stick with that "ecosystem" (at least for now). There's rumor that ARC Genesis will be adding automated speaker distance and phase calculations, so I'm hoping my Anthem MRX 740 (on order) will eventually be able to do that, and I'll be happy with the results. If not, I'll consider other options.
The distance and phase calculations are coming, no timeframe that I know of, but they definitely are coming.

Back