Summit X white noise from woofers?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autoformer

Reaction score
As I was working on speaker placement last the other day, I noticed a small amount of white noise (kind of a dim roar) coming from the woofers on my Summit Xs. The ESL panels are dead quiet. Both speakers exhibit the same noise whether connected to the amp or not. They are powered by a PS Audio Power Plant Premiere.

It is not audible from the listening position some 10 feet away. Really, you can only hear it if you put your ear right up to the driver, so you don't notice it when listening to music. I checked a friend's 1st generation Summits and they have the same sound.

Is this normal?

Ground loop? Try using an adapter outlet to lift the ground and see if the noise goes away. Mine are very quiet, but I did have some noise like that from the summits, cinema, and descent before chasing ground issues.

Mine could be considered "very quiet" too. Like I said, the panels are dead quiet. But the woofers are not and even then, you can't hear the noise from a seated position.

Don't think it's a ground loop. We already chased that possibility extensively while diagnosing my first Descent i, which was humming pretty badly. It turned out to be defective. Martin Logan quickly replaced it and problem disappeared. Since both Summits exhibit the exact same characteristic, it does not seem like a defect, merely normal behavior.

Both Summits are connected to one of these:
http://www.psaudio.com/ps/products/detail/power-plant-premier_copy?cat=power

Ground loop? Try using an adapter outlet to lift the ground and see if the noise goes away. Mine are very quiet, but I did have some noise like that from the summits, cinema, and descent before chasing ground issues.

I had the same dull "roar" from my x woofers as well. didnt matter if they were plugged into my ppp or direct to wall. It seemed to just be the noise profile of the integrated woofer amp.

Like you say, it is inaudible from a few feet away so no biggy. But still, for a speaker of this caliber, seems like it should be dead quiet.

Think of it listening to Debussy's La Mer.

On a more serious note, I've heard the same noise to varying degrees when I owned the Summits.

GG

You would think so, but I guess nothing's perfect.

Thanks guys. Just wanted to make sure this was normal behavior for the product and not unique to my examples.

But still, for a speaker of this caliber, seems like it should be dead quiet.

Back