Summit X or Focal Maestro Utopia?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A well setup pair of Trios and bass horns in a decent, large room just sound like a freakin' awesome set of speakers, Ken. No disrespect, of course. Way up there and better than most of the world's best, in my opinion.

I've said it a few times and here, I know. But it just needs saying, cos it is true:)

I agree with Justin. Well set up Avantgardes are absolutely awesome! Basshorns or not (but the basshorns are very nice)

Last edited:
Ken, you should just look at their frequency curve to see if you like it - no need to visit

Justin, Keith (purite audio) actually bought the kii speakers without listening to them because he read they were the best measuring speakers

Why am I not surprised re Kii's LOL?

Ken comment made me :). Sorry Ken:).

Ken, you should just look at their frequency curve to see if you like it - no need to visit

I think I'll listen to various speakers in different rooms playing different content at different volumes at different times to decide what's the absolute best. Oh snap! You've already told me what the best speakers are, so I needn't bother.:p

You should read Harman's research in depth, Kedar. They've actually spent years in research, determining what measured characteristics (note the plural) net the highest listener preferences, carefully designing their products to those measurements and then having them proven out in blind test after blind test. No, I would never suggest that measurements are the final arbiter, but they are fundamental to a good-sounding speaker.

I think I'll listen to various speakers in different rooms playing different content at different volumes at different times to decide what's the absolute best. Oh snap! You've already told me what the best speakers are, so I needn't bother.:p

You should read Harman's research in depth, Kedar. They've actually spent years in research, determining what measured characteristics (note the plural) net the highest listener preferences, carefully designing their products to those measurements and then having them proven out in blind test after blind test. No, I would never suggest that measurements are the final arbiter, but they are fundamental to a good-sounding speaker.

Harman's research is posted every day on WBF by Amir, Ken. And then others summarily take it apart. Me, I just travel and audition.

.No, I would never suggest that measurements are the final arbiter, but they are fundamental to a good-sounding speaker.

I agree Ken for a good all rounder. That doesn't stop some technically atrocious designs sounding amazing with certain types of music and / or certain tracks. Unfortunate but very, very true.

Realities like that mean that the hobby is actually much more interesting than it otherwise might be.

I agree Ken for a good all rounder. That doesn't stop some technically atrocious designs sounding amazing with certain types of music and / or certain tracks. Unfortunate but very, very true.

Realities like that mean that the hobby is actually much more interesting than it otherwise might be.
Yup, and general preferences != any individual's preference. Heck, it's even possible I simply don't like horns.:p

For the most part I don't like horns either. The ones that work cost a fortune and occupy way too much space. And most of them look dreadful.

I'll 2nd that!! Woof!

Mac, I notice a small shiny object under the spikes of the summits, may I ask what it is and is it a sound enhancement?

Hi stuwee,

it's only a small piece of tape to mark the position of the Summits. No sound enhancement or Voodoo ;-)

Back