Summit X or Focal Maestro Utopia?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MC601's are in the house... first impressions with the Summit X.
MC601 more detailed in bass and treble. MC275 better producing vocals.
That changed after connecting MC601 to 4 ohm taps (MC275 sounded better at 8 ohm). Bass and treble are now not overloaded... just right and enjoyable.
I'll check it...

Quick test installation:D
K800_mc601_1.jpg

MC601's are in the house... first impressions with the Summit X.
MC601 more detailed in bass and treble. MC275 better producing vocals.
That changed after connecting MC601 to 4 ohm taps (MC275 sounded better at 8 ohm). Bass and treble are now not overloaded... just right and enjoyable.
I'll check it...

Quick test installation:D
View attachment 18255

And....they look COOL as hell!! :). Congrats

And....they look COOL as hell!! :). Congrats

I'll 2nd that!! Woof!

Mac, I notice a small shiny object under the spikes of the summits, may I ask what it is and is it a sound enhancement?

I'll share a recent experience with my MBL's, which energize the room similar to what ML's or other planar speakers generally do, and the YG Kipod Signature with the active bass module.

After some five days with the YG's, I just could not get over the difference in how the music was presented, particularly in the "space / dimensionality" category.

The ML's and the MBL's were so much more realistic in this regard. The YG's sounded clinical in comparison and didn't allow me to emotionally connect with the music.

I also had a more recent experience with the KEF Sig. Ones and Threes. Same conclusion.

For me, after having had four different ML models and now the MBL 116's and given my personal bias towards their sonic signature, I've given up on finding a box speaker that can equal the way ML's, MBL's, Maggies, etc. energize a room and provide the resultant listening experience.

To sb6 and with all due respect, I never had a problem with the Summit cabinet vibrations you speak of and the deleterious impacts thereof. Mid and low bass performance were always very good to excellent and in fact, outperform my current speaker in that regard.

GG

GG, I totally agree with you. I have recently been demoing, top of the line Raidhos, Focal Maestros, Rockports, and all bore me. They either lack something, or struggle with the room. There is almost no proper room integration with these cones, with each owner thinking he has got it right. i have also started demoing MBLs now. Tried the 111 with the class D amp, the opsilon integrated, and then the 101s with the class A. I have some more demos left, I need to get one final thing I am looking for on tone. But as of now, I will go either for the 116 or back to panels in the medium term, with big horns in the long term.

It is extremely hard to beat a Logan with a cone. You need tons of money and a perfect large room. and at that price point you are anyway entering the realm of big horns, so cones become pointless. The only good cone set up, and that too a line array, I have seen is Marty's and that required an excellent room, years of matching components, and DSP

Agreed. From my limited experience with cone speakers, if set up properly with appropriate room treatment, are clearly better in the "precise imaging" category but not so much in the "immersive" category.
Two words, Gordon: Cone dipoles. Not quite the best of either, but a damn good compromise with crazy dynamics.

Meanwhile, at CEDIA last week I visited the MBL demo and had a long talk with the US rep about the risks of buying used. Turns out it's no problem, here in LA, as they have a local repair depot, if and when needed. PB's 101's are still for sale at a pretty spectacular price and I'm sorely tempted.....

Ken

Last edited:
I will share Ken's sentiments about dynamics, but didn't like the sound overall.
Run 'em active with SoTA EQ and you might just change your mind.:music:

I heard the Perfect 8 with Ypsilon at Munich. Good. At that price horns walk all over it.

Chacun à son gout, Kedar. I've heard plenty of big horns, but none I could live with for any length of time.

Chacun à son gout, Kedar. I've heard plenty of big horns, but none I could live with for any length of time.

Have you heard WE, Trios with basshorns, Yamamura, Tune Audio Anima or Bionors?

Or are you talking about small 2-way horns

Last edited:
Do any of these provide the immersive effects of a dipole?

Much more than that. Your benchmark should be live concerts and not dipoles. This is the closest you will get to classical concerts, genuine tone, dynamics, transients, and scale. The trios with bass horns will do more immersion than dipole, with the best possible side to side and top to bottom, front to back soundstage with precise imaging and awesome transients and bass integration. You should try listening to them. Dipoles are great for a budget to go a long way. I don't have the budget to get a Trio with a basshorn now, so will stick to MBL 116 or Logan or such, especially as Trios require a room (real estate) upgrade. Perfect 8 is 8% of these speakers.

PB's 101's are still for sale at a pretty spectacular price and I'm sorely tempted.....

Ken

I checked the gon a couple of days ago. PB said they were sold.

Yes, a spectacular buy and that was the pair I was exploring several months ago.

Run 'em active with SoTA EQ and you might just change your mind.:music:

Is there an inherent reason why I would have to EQ them?

The Kyron system does have EQ/DSP/room correction anyway.

I still didn't like them - although plenty of people did, that's for sure.

Is there an inherent reason why I would have to EQ them?
Stock answer: The room is EQ-ing speakers in typically unpredictable ways, and you may as well participate.

The Kyron system does have EQ/DSP/room correction anyway.

I still didn't like them - although plenty of people did, that's for sure.
If you don't like them, that's all that matters.;)

Back