Summit X & CLX room size?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

PartTimeJedi

I am planning on either the CLX or Summit X. I have spent time with both and like them for different reasons each. I was never convinced by the Summit but felt a sense of immediate affinity for the Summit X, not sure why.

I am planning on moving house therefore could I gain some views on smallest room size for Summit X and smallest room size for CLX recommended please.

I will be using either for 2ch music and 2ch TV/blu –ray.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
Congrats on the ML speaker decision. I recently went from Prodigys to CLX. The CLX is an amazing speaker and if you can find room for it, I say go all the way. If you can't find room for it, tear down that wall, and make room. I would say minimum width would be 14 feet. Two feet from speaker to each wall and 6 feet between speakers. The owners manual recommends four feet from the front wall to the panels. Can you do a little less? Maybe, but not much. Since you are only doing 2 channel you save a little on the length of the room but I would say 16 feet total length would be recommended. You did ask for minimum not optimum. Just my opinion.

Gary

Last edited:
CLX or Summit X

I am planning on either the CLX or Summit X. I have spent time with both and like them for different reasons each. I was never convinced by the Summit but felt a sense of immediate affinity for the Summit X, not sure why.

I am planning on moving house therefore could I gain some views on smallest room size for Summit X and smallest room size for CLX recommended please.

I will be using either for 2ch music and 2ch TV/blu –ray.

Thanks for any input.

I have had Summits (original) and now the CLX's. My room is 21 x 15 x 8 (L x W x H) feet. I have the CLX's on the long wall about 4.5 feet from the front wall, 6.5 feet from either side and 7.5 between. I sit 10 feet away from the inner panels. I don't think that I could have gotten optimal placement in a much smaller room. These speakers need a lot of space for best imaging and tonal balance.

I have had Summits (original) and now the CLX's. My room is 21 x 15 x 8 (L x W x H) feet. I have the CLX's on the long wall about 4.5 feet from the front wall, 6.5 feet from either side and 7.5 between. I sit 10 feet away from the inner panels. I don't think that I could have gotten optimal placement in a much smaller room. These speakers need a lot of space for best imaging and tonal balance.
So you are sitting against the back wall (4.5'+10') ? I thought that was a bad thing.

If you don't have a large room, you will never be able to make the CLX really sing. And by the time you add a subwoofer or two to the mix (and you really DO need subwoofers with the CLX) the room fills up rather quickly.

I'd suggest a pair of Summit X and spend the difference on upgrading your electronics.....

The CLX is a wonderful speaker, but highly revealing of source components and room issues. It's probably the fussiest speaker I've ever set up. Awesome when you finally get it sorted, but can be a pain in the meantime.

If you don't have a large room, you will never be able to make the CLX really sing. And by the time you add a subwoofer or two to the mix (and you really DO need subwoofers with the CLX) the room fills up rather quickly.

I'd suggest a pair of Summit X and spend the difference on upgrading your electronics.....

The CLX is a wonderful speaker, but highly revealing of source components and room issues. It's probably the fussiest speaker I've ever set up. Awesome when you finally get it sorted, but can be a pain in the meantime.

Fussier than the CLS?

Latest posts

Back