Will this amp damage my Summit X?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webley455

Reaction score
Hi,

I have had Martin Logan's for over 20 years. Logos, Odyssey (recently replaced the panels), SL3, Summit X.
Currently planning changing the amplifier for the Summit X to a Nord One SE UP NC500DM Stereo. It is rated 700w at 4 ohms.
I never turn the volume up to full and most of my listening are Blu-Ray movies and Heavy Metal music. Would this amp be too much for the Summit X?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated before I commit to the purchase of the amp. The reason I am upgrading the amps as I am moving to a Dolby Atmos setup.
The Lexicon MC12 and Parasound amps will be retired after 20 years.

https://www.nordacoustics.co.uk/product-page/nord-one-se-up-nc500dm-stereo-black

Thanks for any thoughts.

Dave

I have no knowledge or experience with the amp but see no reason how or why it would hurt your Summit's

No reason this should damage the Summits at all. In fact, the Hypex nCore amp modules have terrific specs, including linearity at the kind of low impedance Martin Logans present at high frequencies. I built and used a pair of NC400 amps a few years back and thought they were excellent.

Enjoy!:music:

No such thing as too much power ;)

Seriously, that match should be fine. What preamp are you getting for Atmos?

Thank you for the quick reply. I will go for the amp. The rest of the channels will be powered by a couple of Nord One MP NC252 250W channel amplifiers 5 and 6 channels.
Due to the cost of the 6 x Goldenear Invisa 650s/Supersat 60 (sides) plus new amps I will go for the Marantz av8805. The price seems to be good for the specs you get. Having had Lexicon's all of my Home Cinema life it may be weird not to have Logic 7, will see. I'll use my old REL Stentor 2 and 3 for the bass.

Thanks again
Dave

Good choice on the 8805, I have the 8802A and it is very, very good. I thought I'd forever miss the trifield mode in my Meridian preamps, but the latest Dolby Surround Upmixer (DSU) is excellent.

DSU has two modes, one for movies and one for music, so make sure you are in the right setting for each type of content. It is sticky per source, but I largely use a single source device for most disc-based content (an Oppo 103), so wind up having to toggle the settings.

DSU upmixing of Steven Wilson recordings in 5.1 to use the full array of speakers, including the tops is pretty nice. I have a huge soundstage with the big ESLs, but adding the tops seems to make it just that much better. It's very subtle, but I prefer to run DSU on most content.

I think you'll be pretty happy with the new 8805, enjoy!

Thanks for the advice. I have ordered and received the av8805. Ceiling speakers are in. Just waiting for the Nord Acoustics amps to turn up.
Will update once I have installed the system.

Happy Days!

:music:

Latest posts

Back