Summit Problem

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marck

Reaction score
Hi,

I decided to play a CD this morning a little louder than normal (still not loud) and I noticed this distortion / vibration noise coming from one of my speakers. If I increased the volume the distortion / vibration got much worse.

I went over to the speaker and put my head close to the panel. The most distortion / vibration was at the band that separates the woofer from the panel. If I moved my head down to the woofer it was not as bad and likewise up to the panel.

The distortion / vibration was that bad that you could not turn the volume up. It is worse with vocals / midrange.

Has anyone come across this before or does anyone have any idea what the problem is?

Any help would be much appreciated
Cheers
Marc.

Last edited:
Hi,

I decided to play a CD this morning a little louder than normal (still not loud) and I noticed this distortion / vibration noise coming from one of my speakers. If I increased the volume the distortion / vibration got much worse.

I went over to the speaker and put my head close to the panel. The most distortion / vibration was at the band that separates the woofer from the panel. If I moved my head down to the woofer it was not as bad and likewise up to the panel.

The distortion / vibration was that bad that you could not turn the volume up. It is worse with vocals / midrange.

Has anyone come across this before or does anyone have any idea what the problem is?

Any help would be much appreciated
Cheers
Marc.

Hola Mark...your problem ML calls it Kazooing. The problem is at the stat panel. I had the same thing, specially with voices or solo instruments. Is you increase the level, it get worse, right? As far as I know, it is due to the diaphragm that had got loose I think somewhere and it has to be replaced with new stat panels. Once I changed them, had new Summits working again. Call the service dept, they will tell you what to do. Or better, your dealer will help you too. happy listening,
Roberto.

Hi Roberto,

That is exactly correct - the louder you play the worse it is.

I will put a call into my dealer right away
Thank you for your help
Marc.

I also had the same problem when I first purchased my summits. When I took the speaker back to the dealer and looked at it in better light we could both see a crinkle in the membrane at the bottom right hand corner of the speaker.

I have contacted my dealer and they will be looking into it - I will report back.

Btw, I tried many cd's over the weekend and the problem is really only a big issue on a couple of cd's and playing fairly loud. Even though, I still need to get this sorted.

Thx
Marc.

I have contacted my dealer and they will be looking into it - I will report back.

Btw, I tried many cd's over the weekend and the problem is really only a big issue on a couple of cd's and playing fairly loud. Even though, I still need to get this sorted.

Thx
Marc.

Mark, the sound of your Summits must be as clear as watter, no matter the program material. All recordings should be free of distortion. Sometimes this problem is only at one speaker. Swap the I.C.s left to right, and listen again. If the problem remains in the same speaker, then you just found the culprit. Even with those two cds, the sound must be perfect. One of the things that I do like from ML is that all electrostatics are free of distortion, no matter the music type...they will reveal the quality of the recording. Happy listening,
Roberto.

Update: I spoke to my dealer today and he has said that it is the mechanical interface that is at issue. The speaker needs to be returned and repaired. So just need to sort this out. As always, good service from my dealer :)

Marc.

Update: I spoke to my dealer today and he has said that it is the mechanical interface that is at issue. The speaker needs to be returned and repaired. So just need to sort this out. As always, good service from my dealer Marc.
Do you understand what he meant by "mechanical interface"? I don't.

Do you understand what he meant by "mechanical interface"? I don't.

I think he meant where the panel meets the speaker - so basically what roberto / neil mentioned below.

They will check the speaker over comprehensively when they get it back.

Latest posts

Back