Subwoofer City! Name Those Deep Bass Tracks Now!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jordan Rudess The Road Home.

2pyt56x.jpg

His interpretation of Genesis' Dance On a Volcano, played on a dual-Gotham system, did a fine job of rearranging my internal organs.

OK Joe I've just ordered it from Amazon with a 2nd high res disk. This'll be the one: Joe's mega bass recommendation

It'd better be good.

I've been gettng severe warnings from the wife - especially Friday night when I had to argue to keep playing NIN's The Fragile disk 2, tracks 2,3, 4 and 5 with Descent in full swing. Epic - and definately worth the marital dis-harmony.

She has this bizarre feeling that Apos + Descent causes the doors and floor to shake badly in the upstairs lounge. I wouldn't know cos I never go up there whilst a session is in full swing:D:devil::devil:

I seem to have made a mess of my Apos by changing the MRTW ribbon and getting a crossover mod done. Here's hoping they break in soon - or I'm back to the original configuration.

I've also just put The Incident from Spotify onto the iPhone 4 - well, it's in progress now. They didn't have your recommendation.

Stupid Dreams has some really great bass, executed really well, no other way to put it.

I ran in to another one last weekend, the wife came downstairs and pitched a fit, when I get home tonight I will look and see what it was and let you know. It has one of the loudest and best bass intros that I have ever heard.

Jordan Rudess The Road Home.

2pyt56x.jpg

His interpretation of Genesis' Dance On a Volcano, played on a dual-Gotham system, did a fine job of rearranging my internal organs.

I will fire up the Gotham and check this out, thanks.

Well the wife was out of town, so I fired up the system and tested out some of my bass heavy music.

My system:
HTPC --> Denon4308 AVR --> Vista + Descent i / Velodyne IC600 (ceiling mounted 12")
(for multichannel I use a Stage center and custom made open-baffle rears)

Nothing beats electronic/turntables for bass , so I turned to the following:
M.I.A. - Kala
mia_kala.jpg

This is one of those guilty pleasures kind of artist for me. THis album has incredible bass, and is full of detailed and layered beats. The track titled Mango pickle down river - Has a didgeridoo samplpe, looped with deep bass mixed in. With this track I could feel the bass note travel from my toes to my chest. Very weird!

Once I heard these guys I couldn't stop listening:
MightMares On Wax - Smokers Delight
200px-Nightmaresonwax_Smokersdelight.jpg

My favorite track, Gambia Via Vagator Beach fuses african drums, and electronic synth sounds and real, real deep bass.

Some of the most heavy bass lines you will ever here come courtesy of the Dub genre. I like my Dub heavy, and this album delivers:
Dub Trio - New Heavy
200px-Dub_Trio_-_New_Heavy.jpg

The track Sunny I'm Kill is less heavy than most of theirs, but has slow lingering bass notes. This is not one-not bass, and it sure separates the movie from the music subs.

Stupid Dreams has some really great bass, executed really well, no other way to put it.

I ran in to another one last weekend, the wife came downstairs and pitched a fit, when I get home tonight I will look and see what it was and let you know. It has one of the loudest and best bass intros that I have ever heard.

Well, I listened to The Incident last night in its entirety, sans sub it has to be said due to wifeage factor - and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to the 2 disc set.

OK you want some serious base? Enough fooling around. Fire up those fancy subs of yours and prepare for serious structural damage.:cool:

Check out The Power to Believe by King Crimson.

Level Five will cause even the wimpiest subs to burst fire hydrants within a two block radius. And that is just a sampling of things to come.

You been warned :guitarman:

Attachments

• album-the-power-to-believe.jpg
    album-the-power-to-believe.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 250
Well the wife was out of town, so I fired up the system and tested out some of my bass heavy music.

My system:
HTPC --> Denon4308 AVR --> Vista + Descent i / Velodyne IC600 (ceiling mounted 12")
(for multichannel I use a Stage center and custom made open-baffle rears)

Nothing beats electronic/turntables for bass , so I turned to the following:
M.I.A. - Kala
mia_kala.jpg

This is one of those guilty pleasures kind of artist for me. THis album has incredible bass, and is full of detailed and layered beats. The track titled Mango pickle down river - Has a didgeridoo samplpe, looped with deep bass mixed in. With this track I could feel the bass note travel from my toes to my chest. Very weird!

Once I heard these guys I couldn't stop listening:
MightMares On Wax - Smokers Delight
200px-Nightmaresonwax_Smokersdelight.jpg

My favorite track, Gambia Via Vagator Beach fuses african drums, and electronic synth sounds and real, real deep bass.

Some of the most heavy bass lines you will ever here come courtesy of the Dub genre. I like my Dub heavy, and this album delivers:
Dub Trio - New Heavy
200px-Dub_Trio_-_New_Heavy.jpg

The track Sunny I'm Kill is less heavy than most of theirs, but has slow lingering bass notes. This is not one-not bass, and it sure separates the movie from the music subs.

Thanks, I will go out and locate these, do you know if any of them are available in DVD Audio or SACD?

OK you want some serious base? Enough fooling around. Fire up those fancy subs of yours and prepare for serious structural damage.:cool:

Check out The Power to Believe by King Crimson.

Level Five will cause even the wimpiest subs to burst fire hydrants within a two block radius. And that is just a sampling of things to come.

You been warned :guitarman:

I have the re-issues in Multi-channel, RED, In The Court of the Crimson King, and one other, but do you know if they are going to do Power to Believe?

Well, I listened to The Incident last night in its entirety, sans sub it has to be said due to wifeage factor - and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to the 2 disc set.

And for you Justin, if you really want a divorce, try Depeche Mode Playing the Angel, the first cut, "A pain that I am used to" and make sure you turn it up before you start. The beginning will make your Apologies weep:D

The rest is pretty good too:devil:

And for you Justin, if you really want a divorce, try Depeche Mode Playing the Angel, the first cut, "A pain that I am used to" and make sure you turn it up before you start. The beginning will make your Apologies weep:D

The rest is pretty good too:devil:

What's this? Inciting divorce? Suggesting my Apogees won't be able to handle a bit of Depeche mode?

All I can say is 60Hz, Joe.:ROFL: You best set those Gothams up high, and not only in the volume stakes. They've gotta lotta work to do:D Not that they won't do it, of course:)

More seriously - the only problem I have with Porcupine Tree is that they are English - but they sound so American. Nowt against Americans, of course - but you must know what I mean.

Wow, I think I have been insulted......but then again I am American so it is really hard to tell sometimes.:D

Wow, I think I have been insulted......but then again I am American so it is really hard to tell sometimes.:D

I was just feeling the same. But being English, I don't understand my humour either.:D

Of course you weren't being insulted, Joe. Just a bit of fun.

Peace and love, man. Peace and love.

I have the re-issues in Multi-channel, RED, In The Court of the Crimson King, and one other, but do you know if they are going to do Power to Believe?

I have not kept up with the re-issues but suspect that this one is not high on the list. In addition to the first albums and the three around the time of Red, i would guess that the next re-issues may be the ones around the time of Beat.

The Power to Believe is a relatively new release and not so much of a defining moment in their long history. That being said, i like these later works much better than the "Beat" erea releases.

You may just have to settle for that conventional 2-channel stereo :)

Justin,

Been listening to some wicked bass tracks and meant to let you know.......

Get Porcupine Tree Stupid Dreams and check out the tracks, Slave Called Shiver and Tinto Brass. The Bass on these will show your Apogees off.....or maybe show them up:D

This did arrive a while ago and both listed tracks are great and sound absolutely fab. I think on balance The Incident is a better album. I did both in their entirety last night at some considerable volume.

Gobsmacking sonics.:devil:

Now see Justin, I wouldn't steer you wrong.......okay I would but not knowingly.......okay maybe just a little........but then maybe not, you know what they say, a little knowledge is dangerous and a lot of knowledge is probably bull..... but try Violator and see what you think:D

Two of my favorites are

1) Patricia Barber: Mythologies CD track called Orpheus Sonnet.
2) Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here CD Tracked called Welcome to the Machine.

the vinyl is even better!!! I just happened to A/B the two the other day.:rocker:

de gustibus ....

Tschaikowsky - 1812 (Telarc) - max the volume and watch those woofers' membranes fly towards you in blue flames smelling of burning copper while your room's walls are falling apart on those cannon shots, probably melting your amp(s) too. Down to 6Hz - something for a *real* subwoofer, not for toys! Make sure your insurance covers structural damages made to buildings up to some 100 m around the ruins that once used to be your home. Who said that this hobby was not dangerous - especially combined with somewhat excessive alcohol consumption?

Some Germans apparently do this, mysterious holes in the ground appearing around the country. I'm convinced that it's Telarc's fault! Modest subwoofers though - holes being only some 20m in diameter. Bah!

From the above we can conclude that what was once Subwoofer City is now a 1.5 km deep and wide crater. Any survivors? :D

Oh yes ... forgot this

Terje Isungset: Two Moons

No synthesizers - all natural instruments (ice)

only for those with strong nerves ;)

Back