Subwoofer City! Name Those Deep Bass Tracks Now!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yim Hok Man Poems of Thunder. This is an absolutely awesome percussion album. I was introduced to it this weekend while I was trying out some Wilson WP8's and really enjoyed it. Overall very fun percussion music and if you really want to lean on your stereo, the track poem of a Chinese drum will do it. If it doesn't punch you in the chest and knock you out of your listening chair, you need bigger speakers. haha. I definitely recommend having a listen if you enjoy percussion or if you want to knock stuff off of the walls.

Yim Hok Man Poems of Thunder. This is an absolutely awesome percussion album. I was introduced to it this weekend while I was trying out some Wilson WP8's and really enjoyed it. Overall very fun percussion music and if you really want to lean on your stereo, the track poem of a Chinese drum will do it. If it doesn't punch you in the chest and knock you out of your listening chair, you need bigger speakers. haha. I definitely recommend having a listen if you enjoy percussion or if you want to knock stuff off of the walls.

Thanks for the recommendation... I just ordered it new from Amazon (very low price). Look fwd to giving the twin F112s a little snack.

Cheers

Yup Spotify has it and as I am on hols now I'll be checking it out tomorrow.

Oh and Joe - more Porcupine Tree - In Absentia - the track ".3". Very nice bass indeedy.

OK... getting way too many cool pointers here to not contribute something.

This may be a little different from some of the other recommendations in that it isn't kick-to-the-groin-with-a-spiked-armyboot-all-up-in-your-sh&t bass. Instead, it's extremely well integrated subterranean 'lectric bass by a master (Wayman Tisdale - may he rest in peace). The track is "Sunday's Best" off his "Way Up" CD. It is an exceptional recording (interesting too since to my ear, the rest of the tracks on this CD just aren't in the same league clarity-wise). There are a few instances where it seems all the air has suddenly been sucked out of the room, like a starship hull breach (but without the klaxons and panicking expendable-ensigns being ripped out into the void, etc... and then you see them slowly rotating, no sound, you know the scene). Anyway, the effect is nerve rattling upon first experience.. almost to the point of triggering one's fight-or-flight reflex. Weird (but really awesome-weird). Top this all off with a luscious track, sprinkled with gorgeous piano, sax, and Mr Jonathan Butler's sonorous voice bringing it all right up to the next level of heaven (Jonathan being one of my all-time fav artists).

My impressions anyway, FWIW.

And Justin, another great thread here. Mercy Buckets!

Attachments

• 51qDShzHCAL__SL500_AA280_.jpg
    51qDShzHCAL__SL500_AA280_.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendation... I just ordered it new from Amazon (very low price). Look fwd to giving the twin F112s a little snack.

Cheers

Be careful with the first track - Poem of the Chinese Drum. You could break a dynamic loudspeaker (seriously!) with it with the volume high and you leaving the room for a period. It's just been pushing the cones of my little Mark & Daniel Sapphires to their end-stops. Extremely dynamic & impressive at volume. Incredible recording even at 320KBps Ogg Vorbis. I'd love to here what a pair of Gothams would make of it.

I'll try it with the Apogees & Descent later. I hope my bass ribbons survive it. I'm sure ESL panels will live, however, no matter what!!!

Last edited:
Looking forward to checking some of these suggestions out, especially with the JL 113 in the system.

My suggestions:
Air Radian (sorry, can't recall the album name)

Heart Magic Man (that great synth that slides down and back up)

Deadmau5 and Kascade I Remember Beautiful song with gorgeous vocal, and that club beat. (The bass prompted my wife to comment in a less than kind way... and that was only through the dining room ADS speakers.)

Happy Holidays

Be careful with the first track - Poem of the Chinese Drum. You could break a dynamic loudspeaker (seriously!) with it with the volume high and you leaving the room for a period. It's just been pushing the cones of my little Mark & Daniel Sapphires to their end-stops. Extremely dynamic & impressive at volume. Incredible recording even at 320KBps Ogg Vorbis. I'd love to here what a pair of Gothams would make of it.

haha, yea, it is a pretty silly track. Great fun.

haha, yea, it is a pretty silly track. Great fun.

Just had a go on the Apogees/Descent. Very impressive. Huge scale on those drums and seemed to get a great blend with the panels and sub on this particular track.

The rest of it reminds me of the Hong Kong Hi-Fi Show 2008, TBH!!! For some reason I enjoyed it, though.

http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7027 - phone post so manual link.

" Poem of the Chinese Drum"!!!

I first heard this track on my Burmester Test disc 3. Great demo disc by the way.It became my test track when I was adjusting both JL Audio Fathom 113's to my WP/7's.Playing it at high levels in my system is great as you can feel the tap of the mallet against the drum and hear the skin of the drums also! It was also the track I played when first setting up the Wilsons in my room.Brooks and Brian Berdan were there setting the speakers up and we all had huge smiles on our faces after playing that track.That track has some REAL percussive notes.:bowdown:

If you want to view your woofers in high excursion and put to their limits play this track,carefully.:D

Last edited:
My favorite bass track is Improvisation from Jim Keltner. I got it on a give away demo from Usher at CES. Its the "The 25th Int'l Audio Video Taipei Hi-End Music CD" and has a few really well recorded tracks but Improvisation will really give your system a work out.

Seems there's a YouTube clip of it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB0XFXoGha8

Eskmo, any and all of his songs - I just grabbed his most recent album tonight. Probably not the type of stuff that most listen to, but it is interesting music and most of them have some serious bass. This stuff was playing when I walked into Zu Audio's booth at THE. They were demoing their new flagship, the dominance, and I have to say that it has to be one of the most dynamic and heavy hitting speakers in the world. They were feeding it with a 2w tube amp and it was absolutely blowing the walls down. I want a pair just because of the sheer power of the speaker. They weren't all that accurate or resolving (they weren't terrible, either...), but holy crap could they ever beat you up. 6 of them would make for a hell of a HT. ;-)

The Ultimate Bass Recording

Okay Justin,

Here you go.

Pink Floyd, DSOTM the TIME song; about 2 minutes in, there are sub frequencies that I have never heard or experienced before, it literally shook the couch and the house, just like a earthquake and it does it from then on until the end of the song. Before the Gotham I never experienced this kind of sub behavior.

Erich Kunzel Time Warp about 2:25 in on the first song. If your system has survived this long, don't get cocky, as you ain't heard nothing yet. Be careful from here on out, there are sub frequencies that can literally break your speakers.

I will catalog some others as I have time, but try these two and let me know what you think of your Apojesus and the low end.:D

Telarc CD-80437 The Big Picture cuts no. 6 & 7 The Apollo Mission A true subwoofer killer!!!!!!!!!! The only subwoofer capable of reproducing this recording without destroying the woofer is (Eminent Technology's TRW-17 Rotary Subwoofer. This subwoofer goes down to below 1 hz without any strain and has extremely low distortion.
IMG_0795.jpg

Tyberg - Masses

To revive an old thread with a new contribution of subwoofer-shaking pipe organ:

Tyberg - Masses (South Dakota Chorale, directed by Brian Schmidt)

Recorded at First Plymouth Church, Lincoln Nebraska.

Amazing sonics, detail, ambience, presence and of course bass.

Here's some info on the organ if anyone is interested:

http://www.firstplymouth.org/pipe-organs/

Attachments

• tyberg2.jpg
    tyberg2.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 41
Back