Spire versus Vantage

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Spire has more weight, goes down a bit deeper.

It also plays a bit louder, has more dynamic range
and is a slight bit less colored through the midrange
thanks to the new crossover design.

If you have a large room and can really get the speakers
out a bit, you will probably notice a healthy upgrade in sound.

If you have a small room, it may not be as big of a deal...

If you have a large room and can really get the speakers
out a bit, you will probably notice a healthy upgrade in sound.

If you have a small room, it may not be as big of a deal...

Jeff,

Can you please clarify what you mean by "less colored"? I imagine one day Vantage will be Vantage X via an upgrade kit, just like the Summit. Would the new crossover resolve this, or do you think it's the evolution of the panel design itself? Moving from the Ascent to Vantage, the panel was definitely sounds faster and more transparent.

Also, what happens to the sound when you move the system from a small room to a well treated large room? My system sounds amazing in my 11 X 13 room. It sounds much worse in a larger room because I don't have enough room treatments.

Thanks

Hello,
In addition to the Spire going a smidge lower, the Spire features a portless cabinet. If remaining in your current room, the Vantage would probably do quite nicely. I am quite fond of my Vantages. That being said, the Spire having a lower panel/driver crossover point, has to give it more of the "magic". I suppose the question remains is the magic worth 3 thousand dollars?
Cheers,
M.L

Thanks- given my 14x12 room I wil not be so envious of the Spire although a better xover might be nice.

Joel

David:

If you have great sound in a small room, I'd say sit tight. The hardest thing to get right in a small room is the bass. Going to a bigger woofer might prove problematic.

I have no idea what they are going to offer in terms of crossover upgrades.

However the diff between the Summit and Spire in terms of midrange is modest. Yes, things seem a bit cleaner, with a touch less veiling and a bit more resolution on tap, but it's not enough that I'd throw the baby out with the bath.

One of the things the Vantage does a touch better to me than the Summit or Spire is integrate with the panel just a bit, because the 8" woofer can move a little faster.

Again, if you love the setup you have, enjoy the music and relax. There are probably plenty of other things you can to to your current system to get a bit more resolution from it!

if you can upgrade do it !

I have owned both or might i say did own the vatage ml's wich are great but what you get with the spires is everything the vantage has but more of it and they are a bit more mellow.my room is 13'x21'x8' i have good room treatment with carpet as well as 1/4" 1lb per foot sound block on the floor to help the bass from resonating. but are they worth the extra $$$$. I do not agree with the 10" cone not being as fast maybe on paper but to my ear it's all good electrostatic bliss. I really don't even use my sub any more when i listen to music it just seems to muddle things up as the spires have all the bass you could want.if you need more bass your room acoustics are messed up. I would rather spend $2,500 dollars on proper room treatments than a sub these speakers just come alive in the low end if placed properly in the right room. and they look just like the summits and have a really cool blue logo
on the top how could that be wrong.but hey that's just my 2cents.

I too have owned the Vantages for about 3 months and now have the Spires and although they only have about 50 hours on them, they do have a very nice low end that goes a bit deeper and more 'solid' than the 8" subs in the Vantages. That is one of the differences. I have also noticed there is more detail in the highs and they seem to have a slightly more full sound. That sounds odd but they have a richer sound than the Vantages. I have to also say that currently with the limited hours on them they also have a bit of sibalance mostly on very high female vocals. I am hoping that burns out with time, which I am sure will.

The scale and size is perfect as they have a bit more width than the Vantages while the height is nearly the same.

Summit upgrade . . . . Summit VS Spire

QUOTE]

Jeff,

I have agreed with just everything you've written up to this point . . . . but I have to add that I have heard the Spires, but I have the Summits.

If the Spire has the exact same panel as the Summit and one less woofer and amp, how can the Spire possibly have more "weight" and "go down a bit deeper". The specs don't show it and it does defy logic. Not that all mechanical things follow logic! :rolleyes:

I am having "issues" with my Summits STILL. I requested a discount and to be one of the first to get an updated crossover for my Summits, and I was told by a representative from ML that most are familiar with, that "whatever it is, is in the very early stages of discussion. We do not know how it will settle out. I don't think that an upgradable version is in the works". Now that sounds contrary to what we heard on this forum elsewhere. I sure hope they can come up with an upgrade. Maybe then my Summits will perform as deep as the Spires! :D

Joe

He says the Spires have more weight than the Vantage not the Summit, makes perfect sense

Back