Smart Car - test drive

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kach22i

Reaction score
I drove a Smart Car today! :D

It was a snappy little ride, I liked it.

I did not take any turns real fast, and no jackrabbit starts (okay maybe a little aggressive), but as a normal driver it was fine. Turns were not wobbly or tipsy; felt like a nibble small car, steering was light, I’d say right in between my Porsche and my Tracker.

It's a car, not a golf cart. You know it's not a golf cart because there is no room for golf clubs.

Full auto mode, worked just fine, although you never coast long in the car, as it will automatically down shift, but never abruptly.

When switching to manual paddle shifter mode I kept forgetting to shift when the arrow on the dash went on. The instructor said you can keep driving it that way but when in manual mode it just will not go any faster unless you shift. It’s a smart car, will not let you over rev and hurt the engine.

The lag in shifting was not annoying or even noticeable around the city blocks we drove. However on the closed street when driving back I had room to shift (speed shift/keeping on the gas) 1,2.........3 that last shift took forever, its no sports car - don't expect it to be.

The 1.1L European version is what I test-drove, the American version is supposed to have a larger engine and faster shifting.

The instructor said $14,000 including A/C and radio, but no dash dials those are extra. My car had the dash dials although I never looked at them, kept my eye on traffic and that stupid semi-invisible shift arrow. They need to add some color; black on gray does not work for me.

Someone had asked about towing, supposedly some will come with a hitch so cyclist can cantilever their bikes (and maybe town something bulky but light).

They had an engine running when I got in and an Anita Baker CD playing at low volume, plus the instructor’s walkie-talkie squawking loudly half the time. When I could hear the engine it sounded fine, don't know if they were intentionally masking it though.

If you get a chance, drive one.

http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x295/kach22i/Smart Car/

I'm legal:
S1.jpg

The car I drove:
S2.jpg

Line up:
S3.jpg

Line up 2:
S4.jpg

It was just a five or six minute drive, I'd like to get one out on the highway and push it much harder before purchasing one.

Buck:
S5.jpg

Other stuff at the Ann Arbor Art Fair:
S6.jpg

They are definitely cool little cars. I saw one at a self-service car wash last weekend. Of course they are EVERYWHERE in Europe.

Dave

The question begging to be asked is... "what kind of radio/CD player/speakers" do they have?

Last edited:
Have you seen one of these in a crash test? They are truly awesome.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6fca83551a

I'm not sure what your point is?:confused:

Take almost any car at 60 mph into a wall and you will not be able to open the doors as in the Smart Car. Go 5 mph over the required USA test speed of 30 mph and most leak gas and the doors are jambed shut, a deadly combination.

The obvious lack of a "crush zone" means the rate of energy absorbed by the car is rapid, not a good thing. Your internal organs can be ripped out of your body and you mercfully die instantly. That said, lesser cars simply crush the cabin and the human bodies in there, also not a good thing.

It will be interesting to see if the Smart Car gets a five star rating, I'm not going to say it will or will not. That is up to the laws of physics to decide.:cool:

Supposedly they've done something where the undercarriage works as a crush zone while the passenger cell remains less crushed. The engine's supposed to go under the passenger compartment... that sort of thing. For its size it's incredibly safe, especially when you compare it to how a Suburban or other enormous truck of stupidity behaves for being 4-5 times the size of that little car.

A Mac truck weighing 10,000 lbs and a VW Beetle weighing 2,000 lbs crash head on.

Q1: Which vehicle experiences more force?

A1: They experience an equal amount of force.

F = MA?

Yes of course, that's Newton's second law.............the more mass, the more accelleration the more force there is........................right!

From the above, a lighter (less mass) vehicle will exert less force on a concrete wall than a heavier vehicle.

Now that the high school physics is out of the way, can we talk crush zones and rate of energy absorbed?

Use the floor as a crush zone? Maybe, maybe not.......... but I'm sure it can transfer the energy into other parts of the structure just as the roof can. If the roof and floor fold, I don't think the doors would to be able to open like that.

Oh Wow! This is Deja-Vu all over again! I used to see cars like this all over central France when I lived there about 10 years ago. They looked just like these ones do. My friends and I used to tease about them being toy cars or go-carts. They really do stand out in a crowd.

I don't think I would ever buy one. Way too small for me. There's no way I could carry what I want to carry in it. I'm already cursing my 96 Geo Tracker 4 door hard top because it is so small and feels like a tin can. Though I can't take the credit for that one... It was my wife's car before we even met and it was all she could afford at the time. So now I drive it to work and back, and she gets the V6 Grand Am. Humph! :p

-capT

A Mac truck weighing 10,000 lbs and a VW Beetle weighing 2,000 lbs crash head on.

Q1: Which vehicle experiences more force?

A1: They experience an equal amount of force.

F = MA?

Yes of course, that's Newton's second law.............the more mass, the more accelleration the more force there is........................right!

From the above, a lighter (less mass) vehicle will exert less force on a concrete wall than a heavier vehicle.

Now that the high school physics is out of the way, can we talk crush zones and rate of energy absorbed?

Use the floor as a crush zone? Maybe, maybe not.......... but I'm sure it can transfer the energy into other parts of the structure just as the roof can. If the roof and floor fold, I don't think the doors would to be able to open like that.
I think you're missing the point of vehicle crash safety. Newton's second law matters when a Beetle hits a truck, yes, but hitting a concrete wall, tree, or other stationary object it doesn't matter if you're in a Smart Car or a Suburban. It's even very possible that the person in the lighter car can be better off, if it's not a huge weight difference (18 wheelers win, period) and the lighter car is better designed to absorb impact. The thing that kills you isn't the speed, but the sudden stop at the end. If you're going 35 mph, that's 51 feet per second. Obviously the end speed is zero, so we need to know the amount of time it takes to get to zero. If you have lots crush area the passenger cell of the vehicle may travel 3-4 feet while slowing so an average of about 0.07 seconds. From that we get 753 ft/sec^2 deceleration rate, or 23.5 g. If you have 1 foot of crush zone, it takes about 0.02 seconds to stop. This gives 2365 ft/sec^2 or 82 g!

To give this some perspective, military fighter pilots rarely experience more than 7g while flying and 9-10 continuous causes blackouts. From http://www.bookrags.com/wiki/Acceleration_due_to_gravity

Strongest g-forces survived by humans

Voluntarily: Colonel John Stapp in 1954 sustained 46.2 g in a rocket sled, while conducting research on the effects of human deceleration. See Martin Voshell (2004), 'High Acceleration and the Human Body'.

Involuntarily: Formula One race car driver David Purley survived an estimated 179.8 g in 1977 when he decelerated from 172 km·h−1 (107 mph) to 0 in a distance of 26 inches (66 cm) after his throttle got stuck wide open and he hit a wall.

Last edited:
I think you're missing the point of vehicle crash safety. ...............The thing that kills you isn't the speed, but the sudden stop at the end.

I understand that and agree with your examples. Maybe I expressed the concept of a good crush zone better in other threads on this topic I started.

A couple quotes from the guys at Pelican worth reading.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=3388460#post3388460
fingpilot said:
Have driven one extensively in Europe. Will carry two people and one bag. Plus a purse if she will put it on her lap. Maybe a couple of drink cans as well. Not much more.

On the open motorway, you can safely leave the pedal on the floor. Will do 120KpH. Radio is spectacular, A/C is even better. Sips fuel. Handles more than adequately. Engine by Mercedes.

I suspect it will not reach here without protest from Detroit.

............................................................................................

}{arlequin said:
i only brought it up b/c in the original post you mentioned staying on the gas... w/o lifting. in my 2 brief days of driving one around (a brabus model :) ) i noticed it was reluctant to shift if you didn't get off the gas, no matter what driving style... it just won't do the 'video game/formula one' thang...

.....................................................................................

K9Torro said:
I have driven the Smart roadster in Europe, I thought it was kinda neat for an around the city/town little car. There is even a sport version by Brabus made.

Todd
04+brabus+both1184902180.jpg

Last edited:
Tiger print....
No, my 1976 short box Ford van had Tiger Stripes back in 1983-84. We won the world series (Detroit) and I'd like to think I generated a little good Karma for the team.

The 1977 911s is silver with black leather interior, and a Targa.:cool:

Back