Rocky Mountain Audio Fest 2009

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joule Electra Amps, I believe they were $18,000 for the pair

Attachments

• 8428_1151386232826_1472743444_30496559_740717_n.jpg
    8428_1151386232826_1472743444_30496559_740717_n.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 228
Never heard McIntosh sound so bad, these beautiful amps were in the Audio Pimps room with Theil speakers.

Attachments

• 8428_1151388072872_1472743444_30496571_8353696_n.jpg
    8428_1151388072872_1472743444_30496571_8353696_n.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 227
If I remember correctly these were from Eficion very nice sounding speakers, I think they retailed for $15,000

Correct Wayne, F300's, incredible dynamic range, great percussion piece was played if I remember correctly.

1st RMAF,
Had a Great Time,
Nice to see Dave, Rich, and Tim again.
Met fellow MLOC members Steve and his wife Joyce, Andrew, and Gordon for the first time.
Steve and I seemed to have similar likes and dislikes on the systems we listened to together, despite the fact he's an analog, tube guy, while I'm solid state, digital guy.
Dinner at Lola's was excellent.
Denver is a beautiful city.
Picked up some Great New Music and a list of others to Pick up.
Can anyone tell me what album of Raul Malo's has Blue Moon on it???

...Woo headphone amps. A bunch of 'em. Beautifully made and incredible sound quality. The electrostatic amp with the Stax phones were my favorites.
672812249_rXEpV-M.jpg

672812325_AFiDD-M.jpg

WOW! I have to say that the combination of the Woo Audio WES and the Stax SR-007 Mk2 headphones absolutely blew me away. As good or better than anything else I heard at the show. I believe this exact setup is in my very near future. Christmas is just around the corner.

I really liked the big Woo Audio amplifier when we had it in for review, great sound! Swap out those Chinese 300B's for WE's and it really goes to another level...

Never heard McIntosh sound so bad, these beautiful amps were in the Audio Pimps room with Theil speakers.

I agree, absolutely awful. But it wasn't the amps' fault. There was definitely something amiss with their setup. I mean, hey, they were using great Thiel speakers, too. It was like the sound was extremely compressed and even when playing at a low level the amp was using way more power than it should have and at moderate levels, the amp was pegging its meters! I guess these guys might be audio pimps (MSS), but they sure didn't have it going on there!

Last edited:
I really liked the big Woo Audio amplifier when we had it in for review, great sound! Swap out those Chinese 300B's for WE's and it really goes to another level...

Wow. I don't know if I could handle another level. I was having a hard time keeping the grin off of my face while listening anyway. Almost makes me want to just throw my Sennheisers away.

1st RMAF,
Had a Great Time,
Nice to see Dave, Rich, and Tim again.
Met fellow MLOC members Steve and his wife Joyce, Andrew, and Gordon for the first time.
Steve and I seemed to have similar likes and dislikes on the systems we listened to together, despite the fact he's an analog, tube guy, while I'm solid state, digital guy.
Dinner at Lola's was excellent.
Denver is a beautiful city.
Picked up some Great New Music and a list of others to Pick up.
Can anyone tell me what album of Raul Malo's has Blue Moon on it???

Me too. It was great to finally meet you. I think we had some fun. You know, after hearing what I heard at the show, I could easily become a digital guy as far as sound quality and convenience goes. That PS Audio setup didn't show any of the digititus I sometimes hear with CDs and sounded great to me. I'll probably never give up my vinyl and tubes, though.

Justin,

My apologies if my comments upset you.

By your post, I wasn't aware you had heard the product.

The fact that there is no unanimity on this or other audio product means nothing to me. As we all know, the magic is in the synergy of everything that impacts the final sound one hears.

And I know what I heard.

I, for one, find Wilson Audio's ad showing some concert hall in Europe where, apparently, David Wilson had some sort of sonic epiphany, tasteless and without merit. Of course, it's a good reason to update all of his products again and make more money.

Advertising is all about getting people interested in your product and oftentimes has little to do with some universal truth or the merits of the product(s) thereof. Look at how much females in provocative poses are used to sell product.

You obviously don't like YG and took this opportunity to slam the product.

That's fine.

I respectfully disagree.

Best,

Gordon

Gordon,

I have never heard them, just been in the presence of them. Check my London 2008 show pics for evidence.

If you closely read what I said, you will see that I object to YG soley to the company's advertising campaign. No more, no less.

The specifics of this are rooted in the Stereophile ad campaign.

It may be that they can be made to sound great with the right material and partnering equipment. That, however, is irrelevant to my argument.

It may well be they are well engineered. And they do look well finished. Again, irrelevant.

Every now and then we seem to get off on the wrong track. Hope this clears it up amicably enough.

If you like them (or at least the product), I in no way hold that against you.

Justin

Last edited:
Wilson Sasha's, Picture doesn't do them justice, afraid I don't have Tim's skills with a camera. I really liked these speakers, one of my favorites from the show

Wayne,

Partnered with the Audio Research amp, I'm sure they were alot better than the Silverstone demo...

Justin

No worries Justin,

I have great respect for you and your contributions to the ML Club.

In hindsight, I should have realized you were talking about YG's ad and not the product and overreacted since I really enjoyed what I heard.

Again, my apologies for the misunderstanding.

Best,

Gordon

Wilson Sasha's, Picture doesn't do them justice, afraid I don't have Tim's skills with a camera. I really liked these speakers, one of my favorites from the show

Wayne, I agree. They are much better than the Watt Puppies 6 that I have listened to; especially in the bass. However, with some auto correction to the bass on the 6's, the sound is closer to the Sasha's.

Chario Academy Sovran...

I can't remember the other gear in this room, but I really liked the speakers. The cabinets seemed especially well made and the sound was beautiful. These are $17K/pair. Just remembered they were using the Koetsu Tiger Eye cartridge $13K!
672815135_TQp7k-M.jpg

Last edited:
Clearaudio, Hansen Prince, Aesthetix, Benz

This was a great room. Every Hansen speaker I heard sounded like music. The Clearaudio was a new table and is $7K without a tonearm. They were using a Benz S class cartridge and if I remember correctly, a Graham tonearm. They played Beethoven's symphony #5 (no I didn't listen to all of it!). I was disappointed that their record had lots of low level ticks and pops, but other than that, it sounded great. Rant on...Why in the @#$%^ can't these people play a clean, pop free record? I do it all the time and I'm not a professional! Rant off.
672814775_jHSsq-M.jpg

More turntables...

As long as we're on turntables, here are some that I saw. The first retails for $60K :eek: and the builder told me it was much better than the $150K Clearaudio. Uh, ok.
672812896_Qx8Nc-M.jpg

Next up is what I thought was the coolest design, the Bergmann turntable. The platter has no physical contact to the plinth, as it is supported and centered by air. Also, the linear tracking tonearm uses an air bearing, for frictionless tracking. The only resistance affecting the tonearm is the cartridge contact to the record. The D.C. motor has a separate motor control, too. All very cool, as it should be for $20K.
672814297_diZZQ-M.jpg

This last one has made its appearance on this site before, but it is so big and shiny I had to post a picture of it. I didn't write down the name or the cost of this bad boy, but it did put out a good sound. I don't really care for the looks of it though, as it looks like it has more chrome than a Harley!
672815226_EpTEm-M.jpg

Back