Rocky Mountain Audio Fest - Day 1

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Usher

Usher Audio was demonstrating their Dancer BE-10 driven by Usher electronics including a Nelson Pass Class A amplifier that looks exactly like the old Threshold stuff. These speakers are priced at $14,400, but actually sound like they are worth it. Another of my favorite rooms of the show.

Attachments

• usher01.jpg
    usher01.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 1,424
Last edited:
Verity Audio & Nagra

Verity Audio was showing their new Rienzi speaker, but to be frank they were so widely spaced apart I could not get a decent shot of them. Still, they were energizing a very large room to good effect playing Ray Charles and Willie Nelson doing a duet on "A Very Good Year". Electronics were these Nagra pieces, the CDC CD player ($15K), PL-P pre-amp ($12K) and the PSA pyramid power amp (not shown - $6,600 ea).

Attachments

• Verity02.jpg
    Verity02.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 1,067
Vmps

THe VMPS room was just kind of a weird setup. They had a squeezebox, feeding a tubed integrated amp driving the VMPS speakers. Another room I did not like and others must have felt the same because I went by several times and it was vacant.

Attachments

• VMPS.jpg
    VMPS.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 930
Teres

THe Teres room was very interesting, but also diasppointing. Their turnatables of course are sheer works of art...here is the Model 340 ($7200) on the left fitted with a ZYR cartridge, with the Certus 460 ($23,000) on the right with a Koetsu Jade cartridge. Both are using Morch arms.

Attachments

• Teres01.jpg
    Teres01.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 991
Last edited:
More Teres

The Teres Certus 460 turntable ($23K with stand) was feeding some of Chris Brady's own Tube amps with tube power supplies, in turn feeding the Edgar Horn loudspeakers. I was disappointed in the sound in this room though. I'd heard the Edgar Horns last year and thought they sounded better. The room sounded lifeless, almost like there was something wrong with the system. I'm going to revisit again tomorrow and see if it has improved because this seems like it SHOULD be a formitable system. Music was Rebecca Pidgion doing "Spanish Harlem", normally a decent sounding track - no so much today.

Attachments

• Teres03.jpg
    Teres03.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 899
Last edited:
Nice report!

Tim,

Thanks for the information. I really need to go to the RMAF one year. ;)

Joey,

Hey don't blame me, I bought a demo pair to save money. :D

Last edited:
IsoMike

OK, so I've saved my last posts of the evening to post about what I feel is the Best Sound of the show thus far...

Ray Kimber (of Kimber Kable fame) has a new venture called IsoMike that really is more of a recording technology than equipment - but the way they have elected to demonstrate it at this show is nothing short of astounding. Here are the facts - no limiting, no compression, no mixing, no equalization. Recorded direct to DSD in 4 channels and played back directly off of a Genex Audio GX9000 hard drive device into an EMM Labs DAC8 MK-IV and EMM Labs Switchman II feeding 4 Pass Labs X350.5's driving 4 banks of Soundlabs ProStat 922's (3 each bank!). Of course all cabling was Kimber Select. Total cost (gulp) $388,729.00

How did it sound? OMG! My jaw dropped and I drooled all over myself. They were playing some large scale orchestral and choral works and I'll tell you, it sounded like I was sitting in Boetcher Hall listening to large scale orchestral and choral works. I have NEVER heard anything like this, the power, the spacial sense that I was in a VERY large room with real musicians. I was flabergasted. This was worth the price of admission alone. I'm going back to this room again tomorrow and will follow with some more impressions.

Attachments

• isomike01.jpg
    isomike01.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 757
Last edited:
IsoMike backside

Here's the backside of one of the four banks of SoundLab ProStat 922's. These are HUGE electrostatic speakers...

More tomorrow...

Attachments

• isomike02.jpg
    isomike02.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 929
Tim,
I think 1 of those Soundlab Panels could cover the entire front wall of my bedroom. Goodbye Summits... where can I get one of those badboys?

Man... I wish I was there and I could hear what you're so priviledged to be hearing.

BTW, excellent excellent write up and pictures of the RMAF. Can you visit the AV123 booth and check out the "Mini Speakers" and let us know what you think of it? Thanks!

Joey

Rocky Mountain Audio Fest

Tim,

What a fascinating experience the RMAF is. Your photos and impressions are simply wonderful. Thanks for going, and sharing this wonderful event with us. I feel like I was there, from your excellent perspective. This thread is an up-lifting gift for all of us audiophiles... You made my week, Tim.
And it's been a hard week. :cool:

I just want to say Thanks. :)

If you have the time, I would be interested in any more Sound Lab impressions, as well as the Bulter Audio room. :p

:D Thanks again Tim...

Joey_V said:
I wonder how these guys charge so much. I was driving home today from a visit to an audio shop and I reminded myself about how the shop guy had in his hands $20,000 worth of cables. I then looked to my right and I saw the 2007 Toyota Camry and I asked myself, "Which is harder to build and design? The cables or the Camry?"

Can you say, "Digital snake oil?"

Thanks, Tim, for the awesome reviews and pics.

Last edited:
LaserMark4 said:
Can you say, "Digital snake oil?"

Thanks, Tim, for the awesome reviews and pics.

Well, see I don't think people really understand the cost/performanc benefit when you start talking about things like cars or cables. It really isn't fair to compare the Toyota Camry to a handfull of $20K cables. You should compare the Camry to a Bugatti Veyron at a cool $1M. You should compare $20K cables against cheap RCA's shipping with $100 DVD players. These are very different things.

In the case of the Nordost cables I was talking about earlier, you have to remember that you can get a set of Nordost Blue Heavens for about $150.00, a far cry from the $4000.00 price of a set of Valhalla's, but to appreciate the differences you have to listen to them, and appreciate how they are made.

Blue Heaven is still a hand terminated product made here in the states, but they can make hundreds of meters of it an hour. Mass market cables are pumped out literally thousands of meters per hour and mass terminated robotically offshore. Valhalla runs through a very sophisticated extruding machine that pulls the copper, polishes it, silver plates it, extrudes monofilament teflon around the surface of each strand in manner that still leaves 90% of the strand utilizing air as the dielectric, aligns the strands, and extrudes the outer jacket directly onto the bundle. Think of it like a very sophisticated progressive die. Then each cable is precision cut and hand terminated strand by strand. They can only make 15 meters of Valhalla per hour, using the very best materials and labor.

This sort of attention to detail costs money. Even if you're not a car buff you can appreciate the difference between the Camry (still a nice car BTW), and the Bugatti - it's styling and performance are so very obvious. I'm telling you that if you were to visit the Nordost exhibit at the show you would very easily be able to detect the differences between cables. I know that people think that wire is wire, it all measures the same etc. But unless you start talking about Bandwidth, Harmonics, Transmission Speed etc. you're still comparing apples and oranges. When I was in the telecom and radar industries we were VERY selective about the types of cables we used because they did have a measurable effect on the performance of that equipment. In high end audio, where the equipment itself is built without the constraints in place for mass market equipment, the quality of the cable is just one contributing factor to the overall equation.

When people tell me that there can't be any differences between cables I have to believe that either they have not taken to time to actually listen and verify it for themselves, or that they were not listening via equipment capable of the resolution that would render the comparison valid.

LaserMark - you're right here in Colorado. You should come down to the show and give your ears a treat. A one day pass is only $10.00. I'll buy you lunch and we can enjoy the show together. Call me on my cell, (303) 641-9556 and we'll hook up. This show makes CEDIA look like WalMart.

Getting off my soapbox now, besides, it's time to head into town for day 2 of the Audio Fest. More pictures and impressions tonight...

Tim -

Enjoyed your coverage of the show. It sounds as if it was a real high. The old Stereophile shows of about 8 to 10 years ago were similar. The more recent ones suck. Next year's 'phile show will be in NYC again. It was supposed to be in Chi-town, but their plans changed. Who knows why? I'm sure I'll attend again, but I'm not expecting much.

I take it that ML did not demo at the show. Any reason?

Tim, Excellent coverage !! I will definetly need to schedule one of my Denver trips next year around that event ! Looking at all those great analog rigs means I would need to bring along a case of "Depends" !!

MiTT said:
Ray Kimber (of Kimber Kable fame) has a new venture called IsoMike that really is more of a recording technology than equipment - but the way they have elected to demonstrate it at this show is nothing short of astounding.
Iso-Mike recordings are some of the best digital recordings I have heard, both 2-Channel and Multi-Channel. If you have not picked up an Iso-Mike, you really should.

Dan

Understood your point, Tim. All I meant is that I compared the Camry and a handful of cables on the premise of price, not necessarily on the premise of cables or cars.

Anyway, I hope you can check out the AV123 Minis and I hope you can let me know what you thought of it.

Joey :)

great stuff, Tim, thanks!

aside from the electronics, I can't help admiring those equipment racks they are using.

MiTT said:
ESP was showing their Concert Grand SI speakers ($40K) with a Concert Fidelity Linestage (($14K) and Shoreline tubed monoblocks. Source was the Esoteric X-01 (they seemed to be everywhere). Probably close to a $90K system, and sounded like it too. Very deep, detailed and mesmurizing. Very close to the electrostatic sound we all love - but at what cost!
The player on the left is a highly modified (to say the least) Esoteric UX-01, called Apl Hifi NWO-2.5.

Back