RMAF 09: Unbiased(ish) Opinions on Ayra C1.0?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feltran

Reaction score
Last year at RMAF I loved the Ayra C3.0 speakers that Lars was using in the Nordost room, but at $36,000 the cost is prohibitive. This year, the Nordost room instead was setup with the much less expensive Ayra C1.0 stand mounted monitors.

I've had my Spires for a year, and there is a lot about them that I love. The low bass is pretty great, the highs are unparalleled, and with a perfect recording the music really sparkles. However, I don't listen to classical or jazz, and in rock music a lot of time the recordings aren't great. I find that in average recordings when there is too much going on with the sound Martin Logans (both my Spires and Purities) break down a bit. They start to sound muddy, especially when the volume isn't cranked up.

So I know that everyone here has a ML bias, but for those of you that have heard the Ayra C1.0, how do you think I'll feel about them if I set them up and try them side by side with my Spires?

Seth,

Sorry I missed you at RMAF this year, but it sounds like you had a good time and found a few interesting things. Specific to this question, I may be wrong, but I think you're barking up the wrong tree. The reason you may not be getting everything that you want out of your Spires is (in my opinion), at least 80% due to ancillary and source components. I don't mean to offend in any way, but last I looked at your system you were using an older Denon reciever as a pre-pro, a Sunfire amp (which I've come out about) and a PS3 or x-Box as a source. The Ayra's you liked in the Nordost room the past 2 years were being fed by some significantly higher level gear. I think your Spires are enormously capable, more than you have been able to tap into. Right now you're driving a Ferrarri on a gravel road. I'd recommend starting with a good dedicated source - I'd go for an Ayre/Arcam/Esoteric or something along those lines that would still give you the HT capability you want. If your budget won't let you go there I'd seriously look at the Oppo Blu-Ray deck, it sounds like a keeper on all accounts. After that I'd look into a real pre-amp. If it were me I'd maybe get a nice tubed pre that has home theater pass thru and keep the Denon for HT duty, but give you the best possible sound for music. Other things you seem to already be thinking about are cables and room treatments, all of which will get you a little bit closer to the sonic nirvana I think you're looking for. Just my opinion of course.

Unfortunately, I was only able to spend about 3-4 hours at RMAF this year.

I have no doubt that my equipment can stand to be updated, but I have a bit of spending money at the moment, and I'm not sure where to spend it. I've heard a number of ML systems at this point, but I've never had a chance to listen to my own music on a ML system that had high end components. For that reason, I have some doubts as to how well the things I don't love about the Spires would be resolved in a higher end system.

It seems to me like a lot of people with home theater systems have the same Denon receiver I have, or a very similar receiver. I don't know of any way to do both 2 channel music and HT in a sensible way with an affordable dedicated preamp. The best option I know of is the Lexicon MC-12HD, but at $9000 used, not only would it exhaust my budget but it would be rendered obsolete when the next wave of video technology comes along (where video equipment obviously lacks the longevity of audio equipment).

EDIT: The (relatively) new and affordable Rotel RSP-1570 seems appealing. I wonder how it's sound quality compares to the Denon 3808ci.

Last edited:
The Marantz AV-8003 is another Pre-Pro that sounds pretty good in 2 channel that is fairly low cost. I paid less than $2000 for mine. Playback Magazine compared the 8003 with the Parasound Halo P7, and they also used an mbl 601D and AR LS26 as part of the comparison and their conclusion is that:

Viewed simply as a preamp this controller is close to state-of-the-art; considering that you also get a full multi-channel decoder and Audyssey processor it is almost ideal for a mixed music and theater system.

http://www.avguide.com/review/playb...eamp-marantz-av8003-av-pre-tuner?src=Playback

Mikey Fremer also reviewed the AV-8003 and it's companion amp and he stated that it definitely (to him anyway) sounded better than the top of the line Denon receiver that he had reviewed previously.

Bottom line is that I think you will find a difference in your system with different electronics. Separates should give your Spires more drive and a smoother top end which may help.

Just my 2cents.

Chuck

If you are driving your Spires with a Denon reciever, you are hearing about 20% of what they are capable of and that's going to be the result with any other good speaker.

I think a lot of people, myself included, prematurely give up on a speaker. I know I've come to dislike something in a speaker without giving the front end a second thought. I never pushed my speakers to their absolute potential by pairing them with comparably equal or better front end pieces.

While I think I have some reasonable gear, I still don't believe I've reached the point where it would be time to dump the Spire.

Gordon

I can honestly say that after putting the Spires in a system worth well over $100k, they still hold their own. It's a great speaker.

I don't have 100K in my stack but they do sound especially nice with a pair of JL F112 subs!

Gordon

I used mine with a pair of F110's and a Descent i, both excellent. I was even very happy using them without a sub.

Back