Request or Purity

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonnie

Reaction score
My new dedicated HT room will be 18' wide x 25' deep x 10' high. I have been considering some used Requests for about $1800, but have an opportunity to pickup some almost brand new Purity's for about $2000. I will probably run the Motif center either way. This is 95% HT... very little critical listening, mostly movies with a few DVD concerts all along.

I want to make sure the Purity's will fill the room. They will be about 12' apart and the first row of recliners will be about 12' back.

I will have my own DIY subs... so the low end is not an issue.

In my much smaller HT room that I had previously, 11.5' wide x 20' deep x 8.5' high, I had the Ascent i's with the Motif and it was literally awesome! I loved the setup. The sound stage was huge, wide, tall... BIG! I cannot imagine buying ML's and not having that same sound as before... I would be highly disappointed.

Does anyone have the Purity's or heard them in a large size room?

What would you buy, 12 year old Requests or practically new Purity's?

Thanks!

I think I would take a chance on the request a friend has them they are good.
the purity has a tiny panel compared to them if your room is big enough I would get the bigger speakers. in their hay day they where "it" as I understand it

I have never heard purity's, so take this with a grain of salt.

I enjoyed reQuests for close to ten years. I didn't feel the need to "upgrade" as they were extemely satisfying with everything except high level output classical warhorses or rock.

I could not avoid the prices the Summits were going at and ended up with a pair. They are a definite upgrade and rock is now fun again. The requests need power, have dynamic compression at high levels BUT for 85-90 percent of my listening they were glorious. I could easily live with them and think you would have a extremely hard time besting them for the money.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

I spoke with what I would consider a very reputable dealer earlier and he stated the Purity would sound as good, maybe better due to the new technology.

Supposedly the Requests are not going to be a good with dispersion due to the older technology... much smaller sweet spot.

I know with my Ascent i's, I had no problems sitting in either of the front three recliners that stretched the width of the Ascents... they sounded marvelous in either seat... but a tad better in the center when listening to music.

I wish I had some way of testing them both so that I could know for sure. This is a very big deal to me.

I think the request have a larger sweet spot as they have bigger panels

I'd be going ReQuests, but factor in the cost of new panels. They may or may not be necessary. You could always verify the age of the panels using the serial number decoder on this website.

Oh, and I wouldn't touch the ReQuests if they have been in a smoker's house.

I would by them with the idea of replacing the panels. they will blow away the purities

I have ruled out the Purity's. Now I am trying to decide between the ReQuests or the Vantage, which will cost quite a bit more, especially if I buy them new. Use would only be about $1500 more, but then with the ReQuest panels being 12 yrs old... they are pricing those at $900 now, so really for less than $1000 more I can get the Vantage.

I have ruled out the Purity's. Now I am trying to decide between the ReQuests or the Vantage, which will cost quite a bit more, especially if I buy them new. Use would only be about $1500 more, but then with the ReQuest panels being 12 yrs old... they are pricing those at $900 now, so really for less than $1000 more I can get the Vantage.

This gets a bit more difficult. You really need to listen and decide for yourself. The ReQuest is a higher model, but the newer Gen2 'stat panels do things that the older panels can't. Sorry - it's not easy any more - get out and hear them both.

Unfortunately there ain't no getting out and hearing them around here. Nearest dealer is almost 4 hours away and he has neither in his store. It's been over a year now and I have not found anyone that has ML's that lives close by.

I would like to add that the 200w ice power of purity's are doing a great job in home theater application, especially if the HT amp is not very powerful. the sweet spot is not big, but for 5.1 the sweet spot of all 4 speakers is adequate.
(I have Purity but I am mainly a 2 ch listener)

I am having a difficult time finding cabinet finishes in black on the used market.

Can the cabinets on the Vantages with the oak, dark cherry, etc., be sanded and painted black without too much trouble... is it real wood?

Unfortunately there ain't no getting out and hearing them around here. Nearest dealer is almost 4 hours away and he has neither in his store. It's been over a year now and I have not found anyone that has ML's that lives close by.

Well, I have heard both, and still - I'd have a tough time choosing.

Do you want my opinion? The ReQuest (with new panels, let's assume) is one bloody great speaker. A bit darker and warmer. More presence too. It's a damn big speaker too - do you have the room? The Vantage does better highs and has a much better stat panel, although it can't compete with the pure size of the ReQuest for involving you in the music. It's probably more accurate. Bass will be better, although there may not be more of it. Also - very worth considering - if you've got a lower quality amp, the Vantage will be easier on it - not least for having a powered bass driver. Hope that helps.

I'd go for the reQuest, repanel it. Then down the road, update the woofer, and for less than $3K, have one heck of a system.

I'm still a big fan of the Gen1 designs and height.

The newer models are great, don’t get me wrong, but on the value for $, the Gen1's are hard to beat.

Last edited:
I'm with Jon. Maybe I'm just too old school, but short of the pipe dream of owning a pair of Statement E2's or the CLX, the only speaker I'd consider outside of my CLS's would be the ReQuest. I had them for a number of years and loved them. There is magic in those older big panels to be sure.

I think this is probably wise... get these for now... and maybe later on down the road get something better.

I have a shot at snagging some Spire's for about $5000, but that is roughly double if I consider the new panels on the Requests.

Clarity's should work well for surround, especially with the NAC top driver, shouldn't they?

Thanks for all the help and info.

Well, I have heard both, and still - I'd have a tough time choosing.

Do you want my opinion? The ReQuest (with new panels, let's assume) is one bloody great speaker. A bit darker and warmer. More presence too. It's a very big speaker too - do you have the room? The Vantage does better highs and has a much better stat panel, although it can't compete with the pure size of the ReQuest for involving you in the music. It's probably more accurate. Bass will be better, although there may not be more of it. Also - very worth considering - if you've got a lower quality amp, the Vantage will be easier on it - not least for having a powered bass driver. Hope that helps.
No doubt I have the room... 18' x 23'.

I ain't worried about bass... home theater room with plenty of DIY subs that shake the house down as it is...
shakehousedown.gif

These will be crossed over at 80Hz.

The biggest thing I want is that big huge soundstage with depth. I had that with my Ascent i's and it was amazing. I have GOT to have that, otherwise I will be very unhappy.

Last edited:
Spires are indeed great, but I'd recommend putting the savings into room treatments. Much bigger ROI on those than between a repaneld request and a Spire.

Latest posts

Back