ReQuest and 5 channel power source

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLharmonics

Reaction score
Good morning everyone! Been a passive long time member.
I have a Pass Labs X150 power source for the ReQuest for quite sometime until the right channel gave way. Too much of a hassle to have it fix figuring I'll save money to buy for a more current amp later on. Sold it for cheap. Now I do have a spare 5 channel amp (Sherwood Newcastle AM1090) which I'm using for now. The ReQuest has separate terminals for the esl and woofer. What would be the best wiring connections I can do to use the extra channels to power the esl and woofer separately. Can I split the signal coming from my preamp or is there any other ways? Just want to make sure I do not fry my equipment in case I'm wrong. Thanks.

Hi, sorry to hear about the demise of the X150.

What you are proposing is known as bi-amping and yes it works well with these older unpowered models.
Just make sure to first remove the bridge straps between the two sets of binding posts on the Request.

You will need to split the output of the pre-amp using some y-splitter cables or adapters like this 1 female to 2 male y-splitter.

Assuming the AM1090 (could not find specs) is equal power to each channel).
So you take the Left output of the pre, connect via the splitter to the L-front and L-rear inputs of the amp.
Then the L-Front output via a dedicated speaker wire run to the binding posts for the panel and the L-Rear output via another dedicated speaker wire run to the binding posts of the woofer.
Repeat for the Right channel.

That's it.
It should deliver cleaner bass and highs, as those drivers (the panel especially) is not modulating the amp load for the other.

Last edited:
Back