Classic 9 vs. ESL Amp Requirements

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midcoast Man

Reaction score
I just ordered Classic 9’s to replace my one year old ESL’s. I originally used an Emotiva TA1 preamp with A2 160 watts per channel amp. In April I changed to a Willsenton R8 tube amp. My concern is the Classic 9 is 1db less efficient, has two passive woofers to drive and is 4 ohm vs. 6 ohm. ML specs power range from 50-400 watts. The R8 is 45 watts. The ESL’s are rated for 20-400 watts. Will I be pushing the tube amp too hard? Should I consider biamping with the Emotiva A2 for the low end? I do have a small ML subwoofer and can roll off the low end going to the tube amp.

I originally thought I would want to go with 11A’s, which having powered woofers would have helped the tube amp, but the extra cost, small listening area of my loft and listening to the 9 and 11 convinced me the 9’s held their own.

Attachments

• 11BABA56-B8D3-412E-901B-5844809B1029.jpeg
    11BABA56-B8D3-412E-901B-5844809B1029.jpeg
    983.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I think both the Emotiva and the Willsenton amps will have some difficulty with the Classic 9. Not so much with the power, but with the upper frequencies rolling off when the impedance drops below each amp's comfort zone. The minimum impedance of your Classic 9 is about half that of the ESL model.

Please take a look at a test I did using my current speakers: Impedance Anyone?

You can see how much more power/current is needed when the impedance drops. If the amp can't supply enough stable power, then the frequency response is adversely affected, as I found when using my Bob Latino M-125 tube amps (65 Watts in Triode Mode) which are fine up to around 6.5kHz but the frequencies above that would rolloff because the impedance dropped too low for the amps to handle with ease.

I just ordered Classic 9’s to replace my one year old ESL’s. I originally used an Emotiva TA1 preamp with A2 160 watts per channel amp. In April I changed to a Willsenton R8 tube amp. My concern is the Classic 9 is 1db less efficient, has two passive woofers to drive and is 4 ohm vs. 6 ohm. ML specs power range from 50-400 watts. The R8 is 45 watts. The ESL’s are rated for 20-400 watts. Will I be pushing the tube amp too hard? Should I consider biamping with the Emotiva A2 for the low end? I do have a small ML subwoofer and can roll off the low end going to the tube amp.

I originally thought I would want to go with 11A’s, which having powered woofers would have helped the tube amp, but the extra cost, small listening area of my loft and listening to the 9 and 11 convinced me the 9’s held their own.

INTRODUCTION:
Good choice of loudspeaker within ML range. However if I had to pay USA 7500 for ELS9. I would rather buy Shahinian Arc for USA 8500. Like Conrad Johnson, Arc sounds just right. And is a overlooked gem of a speaker.

BODY:
If I am not mistaken you have four equipment configurations to try out. First R8 biwire, second A2 biwire etc. Try all 4 to determine sound best to your ears.

Since both R8 and A2 especially R8 are not too powerful may be the case that biamplify may give you better sonics than simply biwire.

I would recommend when biamplifying, R8 for the panel and A2 for woofer. I agree the R8 on panels may soften the high frequencies.

I have tried els 9 for 4 years and A2 160 watts per channel close to just right for both woofers.

Just my opinion, 1 db difference in sensitivity will not matter much.

CONCLUSION:
Anthem mca225 is good value for money. And while not a Krell or Pass Lab. Still produces satisfying sonics. ELS9 and MCA 225 sometimes exceptionally great sound, that keeping in mind other equipment variables, depend on front end equipment and music recording.

INTRODUCTION:
Good choice of loudspeaker within ML range. However if I had to pay USA 7500 for ELS9. I would rather buy Shahinian Arc for USA 8500. Like Conrad Johnson, Arc sounds just right. And is a overlooked gem of a speaker.

BODY:
If I am not mistaken you have four equipment configurations to try out. First R8 biwire, second A2 biwire etc. Try all 4 to determine sound best to your ears.

Since both R8 and A2 especially R8 are not too powerful may be the case that biamplify may give you better sonics than simply biwire.

I would recommend when biamplifying, R8 for the panel and A2 for woofer. I agree the R8 on panels may soften the high frequencies.

I have tried els 9 for 4 years and A2 160 watts per channel close to just right for both woofers.

Just my opinion, 1 db difference in sensitivity will not matter much.

CONCLUSION:
Anthem mca225 is good value for money. And while not a Krell or Pass Lab. Still produces satisfying sonics. ELS9 and MCA 225 sometimes exceptionally great sound, that keeping in mind other equipment variables, depend on front end equipment and music recording.
That is my exact configuration, ESL 9 and the Anthem MCA225 mk2, it’s a perfect couple!

Back