Pre-Amplifiers - Tubes or SS? Decisions, Decisions

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you tell I like passives? Enough of that.

If I had 550k in cash I would not mind spending 10% of that on the BAlabo - Bridge Audio Laboratory - BC-1 MK-II Control Amp. Minimum parts count philosophy be damned :):

control_amp_4_lg.jpg

More pics and info here: http://www.balabo.com/amps/control/

Can you tell I like passives? Enough of that.

If I had 550k in cash I would not mind spending 10% of that on the BAlabo - Bridge Audio Laboratory - BC-1 MK-II Control Amp. Minimum parts count philosophy be damned :):

HOLY CRAP! Can I say that here?! That is CRAZY!

Brilliant!

The Audiozone Pre-T1 uses the same S&B trannies as the Bent Audio TAP. It features a unique approach to "enclosure" design:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/audiozone4/pretone.html
ralflar,

The Audiozone Pre-T1 is soooo beautiful and compact as well. :D I am difinately going to research this one further. I am facsinated with the S&B tansformers. S&B tansformers seem to be very innovative and of the highest quality matterials and design... ;) Excellent photos as well...

:) Thank you

VTL 7.5 Preamp... The Flagship Pre of the VTL Preamp Line...

Saddly, I did not have the time to audition the VTL 7.5 flagship preamp, this past weekend but I may do so someday soon... ;) It looked stunning just looking at it in the high-end audio shop. :D

Attachments

• VTL - Pre 7.5 - Front View.jpg
    VTL - Pre 7.5 - Front View.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 941
  • VTL - Rear View.jpg
    VTL - Rear View.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 802
  • VTL - Top View.jpg
    VTL - Top View.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 795
The VTL 2.5 Preamp... Small And Lovely...

VTL 2.5 is probably more affordable than the flagship. :D
The high-end shop carried this smallest of the VTL preamp line as well. :D

Attachments

• VTL - 2.5 Pre - Front.jpg
    VTL - 2.5 Pre - Front.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 1,035
  • VTL - 2.5 - Rear.jpg
    VTL - 2.5 - Rear.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 1,125
The Amazing ~ Mod Wright Instruments SWL 9.0SE...

:D Been researching the economical and technically advanced first real product line from Dan Wright of Mod Wright Instruments and the SWL 9.0SE, which cost about $2K.

:D I found an excellent review of the Mod Wright Instruments - SWL 9.0SE preamp here:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/modwright/swl9se.html

Attachments

• Mod Wright Instruments - SWL 9.0SE.jpg
    Mod Wright Instruments - SWL 9.0SE.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 241
  • Mod Wright Instruments - SWL 9.0SE - Inside.jpg
    Mod Wright Instruments - SWL 9.0SE - Inside.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 253
  • Mod Wright Instruments - SWL 9.0SE - Back.jpg
    Mod Wright Instruments - SWL 9.0SE - Back.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 242
The Marvelous Mod Wright Instruments Line Stage 36.5 Tubed Preamp Coming Very Soon...

:D Dan Wright's next offering from Mod Wright Instruments is coming out very very soon with his second offering later this month (April 2007). The Line Stage 36.5 Tubed Preamp should prove even better than the SWL 9.0SE. ;) I am wondering just how much the 36.5 Mod Wright Line Stage tubed preamp will cost? :confused:

I found additional information here:

http://www.modwright.com/products/index.php?product_id=26

Mod Wright is definitely producing new high quality affordable high-end gear, which is fantastic... :)

Attachments

• Mod Wright Instruments - Line Stage 36.5 Tubed Preamp.jpg
    Mod Wright Instruments - Line Stage 36.5 Tubed Preamp.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
Saddly, I did not have the time to audition the VTL 7.5 flagship preamp, this past weekend but I may do so someday soon... ;) It looked stunning just looking at it in the high-end audio shop. :D

I have had some time with the 7.5 mated to a Krell FPB700cx driving Watt/Puppy 7 and Maxx 2. All I can say is wow. It was a fabulous combo! And you're right. It is dead sexy....and even though I usually prefer black to silver (our demo was black), I think this particular design fits silver a bit better. :)

Robin,

I think that the S&B trannies are good quality pieces indeed. At the same time I doubt that they are peerless. What made the TAP great was the packaging of and the design around the transformers, as far as I can tell. Bent Audio will find or design equivalent or better transformers.

The most economical way to try out a TVC (transformer volume control) passive pre-amp in your system is to get one of those $500 Promitheus, very much loved and discussed by owners and prospective owners, here:
http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=31621.0

The Pre-T1, TAP, Music First Passive Magnetic are fancier implementations of the same TVC concept.
ralflar,

The Audiozone Pre-T1 is soooo beautiful and compact as well. :D I am difinately going to research this one further. I am facsinated with the S&B tansformers. S&B tansformers seem to be very innovative and of the highest quality matterials and design... ;) Excellent photos as well...

:) Thank you

Brilliant!

The most economical way to try out a TVC (transformer volume control) passive pre-amp in your system is to get one of those $500 Promitheus, very much loved and discussed by owners and prospective owners, here:
http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=31621.0

The Pre-T1, TAP, Music First Passive Magnetic are fancier implementations of the same TVC concept.
ralflar,

Thank you very much for the recommendation and informative link as well. :cheers:

I will definiately check it out.:)

Thanks again. :D

Awesome!

I have had some time with the 7.5 mated to a Krell FPB700cx driving Watt/Puppy 7 and Maxx 2. All I can say is wow. It was a fabulous combo! And you're right. It is dead sexy....and even though I usually prefer black to silver (our demo was black), I think this particular design fits silver a bit better. :)
Audiophiliac,

:D Yes! I totally agree. I saw this unit up close and personal, it looked stunning in silver what a reference piece of tubed gear as well. :cheers:

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but the Placette passive linestage is supposed to be a pretty sweet unit, using a vishay resistor based stepped attenuator. Can be found for around $1k on the 'gon. I'm hoping to drive some tube monos with that eventually.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but the Placette passive linestage is supposed to be a pretty sweet unit, using a vishay resistor based stepped attenuator. Can be found for around $1k on the 'gon. I'm hoping to drive some tube monos with that eventually.

I believe I mentioned it earlier in this thread. I have been running that combo for sometime now. Love it!

Back