Pre-Amplifiers - Tubes or SS? Decisions, Decisions

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Robin,

Thanks for the pic of the Music First Passive Magnetic. Since I like the passives I had in my system I googled for reviews, and so came across what may become my next line stage: the The Bent Audio / Music First TAP:

2_1.jpg

More pics and features in the recent 6moons review.

Ooooooh I Likie....

ralflar,

:D Yes! I really like the Bent Audio / Music First Audio ~ Tap, passive preamp. The 6moons review was excellent. I am very impressed with the design of this passive preamp as compared with the Music First Passive Magnetic preamp. Amazing build and design quality. :D

:drool: Those Brits have done it again...

Attachments

• Music First Audio Tap - Preamp.jpg
    Music First Audio Tap - Preamp.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 840
Of course, we can't leave out the exquisitely retro VAC Phi 2.0 preamp.

Tubes akimbo... :D

--Richard

Attachments

• PHI-2.0-Front-Panel.jpg
    PHI-2.0-Front-Panel.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 750
The VAC PHI 2.0 Ref. Preamp ~ Just Stunningly Gorgeous!

Of course, we can't leave out the exquisitely retro VAC Phi 2.0 preamp.

Tubes akimbo...

--Richard
Dreamer,

:drool: I dream of this kinda thing all the time... :drool: I totally agree, VAC's PHI 2.0 Reference preamp is amazingly exquisit... :drool: Here is one pictured with VAC's Reference Mono-Blocks... :drool: I kinda like how the PHI 2.0 Preamp is stradling the two amplifier stands, it's kinda sexy really...

Attachments

• VAC - PHI 2.0 Master Ref Preamp.jpg
    VAC - PHI 2.0 Master Ref Preamp.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 750
  • VAC Preamp and Mono-Block Set-up.jpg
    VAC Preamp and Mono-Block Set-up.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 923
Last edited:
Oooooh The Cary SLP-05 ~ In Black...

The Cary SLP-05 looks as awesome as it must sound especially in black...:D
Very pretty in black I must say... :D

Attachments

• Cary SLP-05 - Black.jpg
    Cary SLP-05 - Black.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 1,952
  • Cary SLP-05 - Rear View.jpg
    Cary SLP-05 - Rear View.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 910
Lovely...

IMHO, this is what you need.
lugano,

:drool: That Burmester preamp looks soooo amazing! :drool: I wonder what all those little dials on the top of the preamp are for? They almost look like removable circuit bays on a tower computer, but on top, instead of in the front? Have you heard this particular Brumester preamp? And if so, does it sound as good as it looks? :D

lugano,

:drool: That Burmester preamp looks soooo amazing! :drool: I wonder what all those little dials on the top of the preamp are for?

Every slot is a module. A module for AUX, a module for Phono, etc. With the dials you calibrate the modules, making sure that all sources are on the same level of loudness, so that switching from CD to Phono does not mean you have to touch the volume.

Amazing!!!

Every slot is a module. A module for AUX, a module for Phono, etc. With the dials you calibrate the modules, making sure that all sources are on the same level of loudness, so that switching from CD to Phono does not mean you have to touch the volume.
lugano,

That is just astounding... :drool: Burmester's preamp control features are truely unique. I am going to check them out here in the USA and see where they are imported / sold, for a possible audition. :D

Thank you for the excellent information. I really appreciate it... :cheers:

Many moons ago, in my teens, I built a Heathkit amplifier (AA-15). It also had input level controls, so you could balance out the input volumes (I still have the amp, and it still works fine).

Peter

Some guy in Ohio makes this hand built pre-amp with phono for around $10,000. It sounded pretty good to me, but I don't have $10,000.

Avaliable at:
http://www.paragonsns.com/
4997 Ann Arbor-Saline Rd
Ann Arbor, MI 48103
Phone: (734) 662-3595
Fax: (734) 662-7585

Yes, that's Corian on top, and a bird's eye maple front. Seperate notched R&L volume level controls. I don't know if it comes with a remote.

They are the only North American distributor of that turntable, I did not get a chance to hear that one though.

Attachments

• S1.jpg
    S1.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 870
  • S2.jpg
    S2.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 862
  • S3.jpg
    S3.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 948
Devastatingly Beautiful ~ DeHavilland Ultra Verve Tubed Preamp...

OMG, I just love the looks of this DeHavilland Ultra Verve, Class "A", Tubed Preamp beauty. :D They say it has gloriusly beautiful tubed sound. :cheers:

Attachments

• DeHavilland Ultra Verve Class A - Preamp.jpg
    DeHavilland Ultra Verve Class A - Preamp.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 850
  • DeHavilland Ultra Verve - Rear view.jpg
    DeHavilland Ultra Verve - Rear view.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 880
Last edited:
Melody Hi-Fi's Tubed Preamp Beauty...

:D The Melody P1688 lovely tubed preamp is super spectacular. :D

The low powered amp won the 6moons major award last year...

Attachments

• Melody Tubed Preamp 1688 - Front.jpg
    Melody Tubed Preamp 1688 - Front.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 832
  • Melody Tubed Preamp 1688 - Rear.jpg
    Melody Tubed Preamp 1688 - Rear.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 771
Bent Audio's... Lovely ~ Tap Expention Preamp with Controler...

:drool: Check out this lovely ~ Tap Expendtion preamp with the new TRIK controler... :drool:

Attachments

• Bent Audio - TRIK Controler  for Preamp.jpg
    Bent Audio - TRIK Controler for Preamp.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 721
  • tap expantion preamp.jpg
    tap expantion preamp.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 703
  • tap expantion - back view.jpg
    tap expantion - back view.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 703
Back