Power line equipment - types and options

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

music again

Reaction score
Ok, so I've decided I need to take a serious look at the AC going into my equipment. Right now I am just using a basic Monster power surge product with enough outlets for everything I currently own. I have a feeling everything is not right from the AC. I'm probably getting spikes and don't even know it. Another strange thing that happens is that my CD player just for no apparent reason will stop playing. it could be linked to the AC going on, but that doesn't seem consistent.

A few questions for starters:

1. Is it worth replacing my recepacles, or is this a fairy tail. I have seen mention of PS Audio Power port Classic AC recptacles for $50.00 each list. Does it make sense to start there?

2. I'm not an electrician for sure. I have heard of people putting the receptacle on a single circuit. Does this mean it is has its own circuit breaker? How do you measure what it can handle? Most importantly, what do I tell an electrician I want done?

3. I see all kinds of terms used on these "power-line" products: regenerated power, surge protection, "clean" power, isolated banks, EMI/RFI filtration. What little I know about this says my goals should be at the very least to PROTECT my equipment, to have a stable electrical environment for the system, and be able to power on equipment in a particular order.Whith that said, what should I be looking for under this category? My dealer carries Panamax, but may be able to get more brands. I'd like to give them my business if at all possible.

4. As a side note, I would like to power off my Vantages after each use. I suppose I could do this using some sort of power-line equipment. Maybe after I replace my power and preamp, the low level woofer noise will go away, but in the mean time, I can't take having them powered on 24/7. Is this not a good thing for the Vantages?

Recommendations/comments welcome!

Music Again

I think you are on the right track and mind set for your equipment. This is one area where a person can go crazy with enough money. Changing your outlets is never a bad idea with your electronics. Remember the builder put in who was probably the cheapest at the time it was built. It is not imperative that you do this but it does help in the long run.

As far as "power" equipment I think your budget will dictate what you can buy. Anything which helps with voltage variants, i.e. spikes is a good thing. Beyond that, look for something which may help with power dips as well as power being above normal. A lot of the better devices do what you are talking about so look for something which has the most protection you need. In the Midwest you are prone to thunderstorms, voltage spikes and dips so this would be what I would look for protection from happening. Panamax is a good name and does make nice equipment. There are several models/levels which of protection they provide and if you like it get it. There are many other brands out there so if you get a chance look at some others and listen to their sales pitch and why you should buy theirs over "XYZ".

As for the Vantages turning off after each session, it is not a bad thing but really not necessary. I believe the circuitry turns off the high voltage to the panel after a period of no input signal so in that case, it is similar to a TV with an "auto-on" type circuit. When a signal is present they "turn" back on. You are not hurting anything by turning them off just convenience.

If you have more questions I am sure you will get lots of advice here. I would recommend buy what you can afford and what is reasonably available in your area.

Jeff:cool:

Well, at least I can share my experiences - with bad AC, a PS Audio Ultimate Outlet was an improvement for all my stuff. When moving house 2 years ago, I got the electician to put in a dedicated circuit for the audio, using 25 amp rated cabling, but regular 15 A breaker and sockets. After this, no more need for the U.O!. I still use a T+A Power Bar, but for preamps and sources only, mostly to avoid them sending noise to each other. Logans and power amps sound best going straight to the wall. And good power cords helps. The PS Audio Statement I have had success with, but it is too expensive to use thorughout, so I am making some of my own. Also note that some high end power cords have filtering built in, these may work well if the AC is bad, but slow down things if the AC is good. Of cause thing may be more sensitive in the US, we have 220 V to the sockets here in Europe!
all the best

Regarding your Vantages, cleaning up the AC may remove the noise from your system, to below the treshold of the turn on circuit of the Vantages. With various types of electronics, I have never had a problem with my Aeons staying on, so if your Vantages stay on I would suspect something is amiss somewhere.
Svein
Norway

Last edited:
MA,

1) If you intend to use after market power cords better wall receptacles may help. Those cords are stiff and heavy and tend to pull and twist, often resulting in a poorer electrical connection than that achieved with lighter and more flexible OEM cords. A good receptacle will have a tighter grip.

2) Multiple dedicated lines are a good thing where practical. They provide the least resistive path to ground (crucial for lightning protection), and the least interference as well as minimal voltage drops while the amps gorge themselves on current.

3) As for potential sonic benefits: I have tried and own power conditioning equiment from 4 different brands, including PS Audio. Actually the PS Audio is the most expensive PC unit I have but it sure is no better than the rest. It is possible that one of them, the APC H15, actually improves sound quality somewhat. I'm am doubtful, though. A glass of wine prior to listening will have a significantly more beneficial effect on sound quality than power conditioning.

Protection against surges and over/under voltage conditions is different. You mention Panamax. They have a good reputation in the parallel mode camp, like APC or Tripp Lite. Other users favor serial mode technology such as marketed by Furman or ZeroSurge or Brickwall.

Interestingly, Panamax and Furman have the same owners... Who do you believe?

I settled on the AV series of APC and Belkin. They have the protection and the convenience/functionality and one does not have to pay too much for the brand name. There have been complaints that the over-voltage protection in some PS Audio Duets or Quintets triggers too early at just 125V, so that could be a practical issue you would want to investigate if you were interested in these units.

4) Both the APC H15 and the Belkin PF60 have programmable switch delays. The Belkin, in particular, excels in this regard. OTOH, the APC has voltage regulation.

Neither of them gets rid of the low level woofer noise. However in my system that noise is inaudible beyond 2 ft or so i.e. it does not bother me. My Vantages stay on 24/7. They idle when no music is being played (orange LED), so no worries.

I think the more important question you need to ask is whether you want to simply protect and correct the current issues with your electical, or are you looking for real performance enhancement.

My recomendation would be to get a real professional electrician with proper test equiment (an osciliscope and that he knows how to use it) to determine if the problem is with the electical coming to the house or within the house's wiring. That way you dont have to spend lots of money on expensive filtration equipment that might not do anything.

If youre looking for serious performance enhancement, go audition various filters. Use local vendors return policies and simply try all usual suspects (Monster, APC, Belkin, Panamax). The one brand I know always works ($$$$) is Furman. These things protect like a trojan and enhance like those suppliments they advertise on late night TV (if those claims they make actually work.)

JMTC

As Ralflar said , the APC h15 has gotten rave reviews , especially in www.enjoythesound.com Ihave had major sound improvements with the Adept Response from Audience.

When replacing the stock cords to my logans, I planned to go either with the BC 68 cord or the Foundation Research 1's. Both have built in conditioners and are made for electrostats.

The owner of the store I bought my Odessey's from said the Foundation Research cord is the one to make logans really up the sound quality of logans, bar none. And he didn't even deal in Foundation Research products.I took his word and bought them, no turning back-Major improvement.

I have also heard ascents hooked up with the Blue Circle 68 cords. You guys should check them out.

Power line treatment

Music again, this is an area which will keep you up for hours if you get seriously into it. For starters, if you can get a dedicated line or two for your equipment, that will already improve whatever you have and reduce interference with other appliances in your home. Replacing wall receptacles will help with after-market stiff power cords but may make marginal improvement.
There are two kinds of add-on power conditioners. Those that are principally surge and spike protectors that will keep your equipment from frying if your power line voltages are susceptible and conditioners that add some kind of sonic signature to your equipment. You can go literally crazy with PS Audio, Shunyata, APC, Nordost, etc.
It is probably better if you can to sample these devices before you buy. There is one company (the Cable Company) that has a lending library and will allow you to audition at home. This is the way to go if you are willing to take the time.

Back