Power cords

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timm

Reaction score
I know people here have non-stock power cords. Anyone care to comment on where the biggest bang for your buck is (connecting to amp/pre/cd/speakers) . Before/after comparisons? Also, I have seen the Shunyata 99 dollar cords - are these any good?

I have never tried the Venom ($99) so I cannot comment. But I use Signal Cable $59 power cords compared to stock (better than), Volex (better than), PS Audio Lab II (equal), and am happy with the results.

I'm in the same camp as DTB300 , presently using Frank's (Signal Cable Co.) cords.

What do you have them hooked up to - and what diffs do you hear? I had someone come over and plug a very expensive cord in - and I heard a diff - but - our test was flawed - he accidentally pulled the stat - and plugged the amp & pre in.... The stat had its charge - but we only listened for a song - and then he had to run with no time to check into it further. I would call the sound 'darker and quieter'.... but that could have been because of the stat being unplugged for the very short period.

It has been awhile since I did the change....From what I remember it just sounded better - yeah I know, very scientific!! Ha ha... I will see if I can find my notes on the changes.

I do remember when I compared the PS Audio Lab II to the Signal, there was no change detected between the two. The PS Audio was a $400 cord vs the $59 Signal.

IME I have found the greatest bang for the buck by going to the source first (if that source is digital/ DAC), than the pre-amp and power amp. I've tried a few different types (PS, Audioquest, Nordost) and ended up with the Zu "Birth" available on E-Bay. I may be upgrading to the Zu "Bok" on the uni/DAC (though I doubt I'll stop there):eek:, which by all accounts is very good and quite reasonably priced.

The Shunyata cord is fantastic for 99 bucks. I my opinion you will hear improvment over your stock cord.

I've tried a few different types (PS, Audioquest, Nordost) and ended up with the Zu "Birth" available on E-Bay. I may be upgrading to the Zu "Bok" on the uni/DAC (though I doubt I'll stop there):eek:, which by all accounts is very good and quite reasonably priced.
I plan on trying out some of the Zu Power Cords since I absolutely love their IC's and Speaker Cables.

Besides the Birth, have you tried or auditioned the Bok or Mother?

The Shunyata cord is fantastic for 99 bucks. I my opinion you will hear improvment over your stock cord.

Diamonds - what did you put the Shunyata cord on ? What happened to the sound?

I wound up with a few Audioquest power cables and did not realise a benefit with any one of them. One of the cables was quite pricey....

Tj

I plan on trying out some of the Zu Power Cords since I absolutely love their IC's and Speaker Cables.

Besides the Birth, have you tried or auditioned the Bok or Mother?

Haven't heard either but with Zu's liberal return policy (60 days NQA) I can try both at no financial risk. I love this company:)

Risabet - I see you have the vibrapods ... I have come to a conclusion.... I think Vibrapods (we refer to them as voodoo pods) and this whole isolation/power conditioning thing is like drugs. Vibrapods would be pot....because that is what starts it all!!! For 30 bucks you figure - aww- what could it hurt... next thing you know... I'm looking for power cords....what's next... a POWER CONDITIONER??? ....and the worms ate into his brain..........

Risabet - I see you have the vibrapods ... I have come to a conclusion.... I think Vibrapods (we refer to them as voodoo pods) and this whole isolation/power conditioning thing is like drugs. Vibrapods would be pot....because that is what starts it all!!! For 30 bucks you figure - aww- what could it hurt... next thing you know... I'm looking for power cords....what's next... a POWER CONDITIONER??? ....and the worms ate into his brain..........

I jumped right to the hard stuff and went to a PC right away, it never ends does it!

I know people here have non-stock power cords. Anyone care to comment on where the biggest bang for your buck is (connecting to amp/pre/cd/speakers) . Before/after comparisons?

Your biggest bang for the buck depends on the power supply design of the components. I got the biggest bang for the buck on my amp, just because my Ayre cd player had some very nice power filtering. It may be different for your components.

Another thought is to get a quality power conditioner first. I believe this is the best bang for the buck. This way you filter out a bunch of noise out of everything that will be plugged into it. You can then get power cords for all of your other components to that extra dark background, detail, and musicality.

Ok - I'll confess .... a long time ago I got a monster 1000 power thing.... Just tell me it is a worthless piece of crap... and lets move on... Given that - what might you suggest? Secondly, I looked at the Signal Cable cords - and they looked very nice. Just wondered what was better - the Shunyata Venom or these....the signal cables look very very nice.... I think they may be my christmas gift - one for the amp/pre and cd... I have stock cords on my sunfire and denon 5900....

Maybe a stupid question -- the sunfires currently do not have a third 'prong' on the plug - nor do they have a third prong on the back of the pre or amp. Is that a problem if I pick up the signal cables? thx. tim.

I know people here have non-stock power cords. Anyone care to comment on where the biggest bang for your buck is (connecting to amp/pre/cd/speakers) . Before/after comparisons? Also, I have seen the Shunyata 99 dollar cords - are these any good?

Timm,

Following order is recommended based on my experience.

1) CD
2) Preamp
3) Amp

I currently have the Mapleshade power cords / power strip and the improvement was not subtle. System sounds quicker, tighter, and much more transparent / dimensional. Many "blankets" removed from the system after all the above were installed.

I have the "Venoms" installed with my Summits.

GG

I'm running nothing but Synergistic Research Master and Reference Power Couplers in my system. Similar to Gordon's comments above, the most significant impact was on source components (phono stage, Esoteric Universal player, transport and DAC), followed by the pre-amp and finally the power amp. I also have them on my sub and on the ReQuests. They have made an improvement in every case. I have demonstrated their effect to people by simply swapping out the power cord on my amplifier for example and in each case the people who were listening could hear a difference and prefered the aftermarket cord. Now, in my secondary system using a Denon 2910 universal player, a Denon receiver and Gallo Nucleus speakers, the difference is much more subtle and subljective. I would say that the effect of good cables in any given system is dependant on that systems resolution and overall synergy.

Latest posts

Back