Power Amplifier

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pegwill

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I need some advice. I'm thinking of changing my amp presently it's an EL34 class A rated at 50 watts. I've seen and read the reviews for a Cayin 88t but it gives 22W in triode mode and 45w ultralinear. I have a pair of Aeons, old I know, but absolutly stunning sound, and was looking for advice on whether the 22W would be enough to drive them. I listen to all kinds of music, but not in a big room probably 13x12 feet. Would the 22W be sufficeint? Any thoughts

Seasons greetings to all

Regards

Bill

I do not have first hand experience with this sort of matching, but ML recommends 20-400W (for the Aeon i), so perhaps 22W is possible. However, i cannot help thinking that the amp will be strained as, more importantly, the sensitivity is 89dB. They are not very efficient speakers and the lower power may not bring out the best in your speakers.

What is 'lacking' in your present amp that would want you to consider putting a lower power tube amp up against your panels ????????

Hi Guys

I've had the amp for a number of years and am just feeling the upgrade bug. While I like the sound of EL34s, there are many good reviews for Kt88s. I'm also trying to tame some harshness out of the system, looking for a sweeter sound which by all accounts the KT88s will deliver.

Thanks for your help

Regards

Bill

Hi Guys

I've had the amp for a number of years and am just feeling the upgrade bug. While I like the sound of EL34s, there are many good reviews for Kt88s. I'm also trying to tame some harshness out of the system, looking for a sweeter sound which by all accounts the KT88s will deliver.

Thanks for your help

Regards

Bill

I can attest to the sweet sound of KT88s, or at least for those situated in my PL amps. Of course it's not just the tubes, but the entire amp design and implementation that really brings it all together (or allows it to all fall apart). I'd have to go back and see if any of my previous tube amps were EL34 based, off the top, I don't think so... so other than a KT88 thumbs-up (or at least a limited and qualified thumbs-up), I'm afraid I can't provide much more comparative first-hand perspective.

Cheers

I have a pair of Aeon i's that I bought new sometime back. They now serve as "remote" zone 2 speakers. Over the years I have had a number of different amps (all SS) on them with the smallest being 125 watts per channel. I would not attempt to use anything as low as 22 watts esp if you run them long or hard. Just my opinion.

Gary

I agree with Dave here on looking at your acoustical environment to address the "hardness" issue.
As far as differences between KT88s and EL34s, I think the general rule of thumb is that the KT88 is more linear throughout the audio frequency range, while the EL34 is known more for its heavenly midrange (it's known as the queen of the midrange) and less control on the lower frequencies and a softening on the highs. Amp designs can address these tendencies, though and have a lot to do with the overall sound. Different tube manufacturers also have an affect. Rolling the EL34s in my amp has definitely reduced the slight high frequency rolloff and increased dynamic slam. Bass is very musical and powerful, but not as tight and controlled as with my transistor amp.

Hi Guys

Thanks for your help

Regards

Bill

Since when do KT 88s give a sweeter and less harsh sound than EL 34s? I thought it was just the opposite.

Since when do KT 88s give a sweeter and less harsh sound than EL 34s? I thought it was just the opposite.

Generally speaking, I believe you're correct. However, the amp design has a lot to do with it, IMHO. For instance, just adjusting the bias voltage to the tubes can make them sound sweeter or more strident and can take away from frequency response. The size and implementation and quality of the output transformers also has a huge impact. Like the lawyers like to say, it depends.

Back