Please recommend budget $1,000 amp for Vistas--What would *you* buy?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

remoteportal

Reaction score
Q1: If you had a $1K budget what amp gives the most "bang for the buck" to drive Vistas? (I think that's all my wife would allow me to spend at present!) I like to listen to classical, new age, and jazz. I care more about sonic ability that looks. Can anyone drop out some suggestions, brands/models, web links? I don't care for loud music, just high-quality sound--so the Vistas don't need to get real loud. I don't mind buying used...

Q2: Is there any way to get a cheap tube amp for that a grand or is that just not realistic? I don't mind buying used....

Q3: Could I bi-amp? Use this new amp to drive the electrostatic side and use my Yahama AX-570 (100wpc) for the Vista woofers?

Thanks in advance,
Pete
Indian Trail, NC

Thanks for all your responses to my earlier questions... everyone is being very nice. Not sure if it's okay to post this here or in the off-topic forum. I've done quite a bit of searching/reading of threads but can't find direct answer to these questions.

Q3: DO NOT use two seperate pieces to power panel and woofer (sonically not good). Also, get a center speaker with a panel or else you will be settling (motif goes well with the vistas). I was in the same situation and picked up a Sunfire Cinema Grand 200w x 5 at 8 ohms and 400w x 5 at 4 ohms. Great piece, can be had on audiogon for under $1k. It has current source and voltage source inputs so you can use the current source to supply the panels (more tube-like) and voltage source (more SS slam for the woofer). Ideal for a poorman's bi-amp job. Use the last channel for the center and rock the house!

Q1: If you had a $1K budget what amp gives the most "bang for the buck" to drive Vistas?

Couple of possibilities......used Rotel amp or for 'new' dollars the Vincent hybrid, maybe even a nice used Aragon 4004.

Q2: Is there any way to get a cheap tube amp for that a grand or is that just not realistic? I don't mind buying used....

yes there might be "ways", but if it were me I'd save my schuckles to the point where I could at least double you present allocation.

Q3: Could I bi-amp? Use this new amp to drive the electrostatic side and use my Yahama AX-570 (100wpc) for the Vista woofers?

Yes you could, but if I understand you coorectly, it's your Yammie that you're trying to get away from ? The amps I listed in response to Q#1 would serve you well untill $$$ permit you to match up a tube amp, as an example, for the panels and then move the SS or hybrid to the bass driver.

Pete, the other option is to sit back, be patient, let your speakers run in, save some extra $$$ so when you make the upgrade it will hopefully be a longer lasting time of sonic satisfaction.

I would buy a used Sunfire Stereo. It's megabang for the buck.

Their synergies are legendary.
The amp delivers clean and stable power down to 1 ohm.

325 x 2 @8ohms
650 x 2 @4ohms
1300 x 2 @2ohms
2600 x 2 @1 ohm

No other amp delivers this kind of bang for $1k!

Q1: If you had a $1K budget what amp gives the most "bang for the buck" to drive Vistas? (I think that's all my wife would allow me to spend at present!) I like to listen to classical, new age, and jazz. I care more about sonic ability that looks. Can anyone drop out some suggestions, brands/models, web links? I don't care for loud music, just high-quality sound--so the Vistas don't need to get real loud. I don't mind buying used...

Thanks in advance,
Pete
Indian Trail, NC

Thanks for all your responses to my earlier questions... everyone is being very nice. Not sure if it's okay to post this here or in the off-topic forum. I've done quite a bit of searching/reading of threads but can't find direct answer to these questions.

I would also rate Sunfire amps very highly. They are high quality and synergize well with Martin Logans. Both their stereo and their multichannel amps give great bang for the buck.

You don't really want to try to biamp using the yamaha and another component because it is so difficult to match the voltage gain from different components (which would result in uneven volume levels between the woofers and the panels).

Another great manufacturer of quality products at reasonable prices is outlaw audio. Look them up on the web.

Q1: Wait for the RPA-2 stereo amp or try a 5-channel XPA-5 now. Both are Emotiva products. The RPA-2 is an RPA-1 (which I have) in a new case. It is awesome for its price. And perhaps I should put "for its price" in brackets. $699 plus shipping. Ditto for the XPA-5. www.emotiva.com

Q2: Why? You are starting a system. Why tubes, why now?

Q3: Yes. But with a good amp you'd have no need to do so. As an owner of one Yammy I dislike all Yammys, and extrapolate that the $450 Emotiva LPA-1 (a 7-channel amp) will be a vast improvement over your present receiver. And you could bi-amp your Vistas and drive 5 more channels, too.

Gotta ask the obvious

Q3: DO NOT use two seperate pieces to power panel and woofer (sonically not good).
For the benefits of newbies like Pete here, please elaborate why bi-amping with 2 separate pieces result in your description of "sonically not good".

tsmooth said:
I was in the same situation and picked up a Sunfire Cinema Grand 200w x 5 at 8 ohms and 400w x 5 at 4 ohms. Great piece, can be had on audiogon for under $1k. It has current source and voltage source inputs so you can use the current source to supply the panels (more tube-like) and voltage source (more SS slam for the woofer).

If the desired bi-amping job is to have "tube-like" sound on the panels and solid-state on the woofer, why not put a real tube amp to drive the panels instead of trying to mimic the tube-like sound with the Sunfire?

tsmooth said:
Ideal for a poorman's bi-amp job.
What is the proper bi-amping job then? If one were to follow through and use tubes for the panels and solid-state for the woofer, as preferred with your statement of getting "tube-like" sound on the panels, will this configuration result in "sonically not good" sound, and why?

I didn't mean to nit-pick on you per se, but I firmly believe newbies like Pete can benefit quite a bit from these discussions. For example, Rich pointed out an excellent point against bi-amping with separate amps and it has to do with gain level matching.

Spike

Thanks in advance,
Pete
Indian Trail, NC

I would buy a used Bryston for that money. For your next upgrades you can get a nice source and a nice (tube) preamp (as you seem to like tubes).

Either the Sunfires the guys have been recommending or a good all-in-one solution like the Krell 400xi.

I agree with Dave on the "new" dollars, I'd look (listen) long and hard to the new Vincent Hybrid. I've heard it once and was quite impressed for a sub $1K amp.

If spending used and could only go $1k, I'd look at either a used BAT VK-100 or a McCormack DNA-1.

That's what "I" would buy, but "you" need to see about bringing some stuff home for demo's and letting your ears with your system in your room listening to your music be the guide.

Personally I'm a fan of digital amps, they have a level of detail and "SET" sound that I really like. You can get a used PS Audio HCA-2 for around $700 or some Murano ICEPower amps for $900 or so.

Personally I'm a fan of digital amps, they have a level of detail and "SET" sound that I really like. You can get a used PS Audio HCA-2 for around $700 or some Murano ICEPower amps for $900 or so.

Interesting?! See I've yet to hear a digital amp that I care for even the least little bit (and there have been plenty of them the last 3 years at the RMAF). I find them limited dynamically and kind of "soul less", very UN-SET like actually.

Which brings me full circle to my point above that we much each listen to find what is right to our own ears and within our own systems, everything else is just opinion and hyperbole including what I spew forth here.

Go to your local high-end shop and see what pre-owned equipment they have.

One of my local stores lists things on Audiogon, I walked away with a tube preamp for $1,000 and a tube amp (100w) for about $1,000.

To answer Spike:

1st: Sorry, Rich already jumped the gun: "You don't really want to try to biamp using the yamaha and another component because it is so difficult to match the voltage gain from different components (which would result in uneven volume levels between the woofers and the panels)."

2nd: I was recommending what I would do on a $1K budget. From what I gather, a "tube" amp. might l not give you the desired tight low end due to the fact vistas have a non-powered woofer (unlike the vantage and summit with an internal amplifier). I believe the best of both worlds is achieved in the configuration I mentioned (again the question was pertaining to a $1K budget).

3nd: Ideally, one would use an external crossover when they would bi-amp, only sending the frequencies above the crossover point to the panel, below to the woofer. Using the two different sources on the Sunfire sends the whole frequency range to both the panel and the woofer, but it also sends 200W (+/- depending on the Ohms) to both posts. Once again, this is all advice given out on a $1k budget.

I have heard a lot of positive feedback on the Emotiva line but have no personal experience. Probably worth checking out as well.

If my budget was 1K and I was looking at best bang for the buck, Emotiva RPA-2 or the upcoming XPA-2 would be number on the list. New, 5 yr warranty, and excellent customer service. XPA-2 was born to drive current hungry speakers, and the RPA-1s class H design is excellent for bringing out detail.

Q1: If you had a $1K budget what amp gives the most "bang for the buck" to drive Vistas?

OK - you've got to get out and listen, but if this is a stop gap, then I'd be definitely going second-hand.

My best "bang for buck" would be second-hand, high-end SS amps - try some old Classé amps, old Krells, even the Krell KAV-300i integrated, old ARCs, old Brystons, old C-J.

I'd try to stay away from the lower-end stuff like Rotel as it may not give you as good a bang for your buck.

Go for the tried and tested high-end amps, but older ones that are now within your budget.

Just a question - if you do this, what would you use for preamp in this case?

If a preamp is out of the question, then I don't think you can go past the Krell integrated amps.

Last edited:

Thanks in advance,
Pete
Indian Trail, NC

Outlaw Audio Monoblock 2200. ~$350 each. 200W @ 8 Ohm, 325 @ 4 Ohm continuous, A/B/G. They power my vantages with no sweat, I left the system on for a whole month once and came home to no worries, They're made by ATI, the same people who make Adcom, founded by one of the originators of GAS/SST Ampzilla, SAE, and SUMO. You won't be dissapointed.

Sunfire

Pretty much any Sunfire you can get for $1K will do the job.

I would look at a Class A Monarchy SE-100 Deluxe. These amps are very good value for the money and also very musical. 100 watt monoblocks for around $800.00 used.

100 watts @ 8 ohms
200 watts @ 4 ohms

Latest posts

Back