Picking up a pair of Montis today. Amp recommend?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amak1

Reaction score
I bought a pair of Montis speakers last night on eBay without hearing them first. I'am not really worried since I previously owned Clarity and Ascent i (blew me away) and the Monits is in another league. I'am going to Boca in an hour (about 45 min. drive) to get my babies. I have a Conrad Johnson MV-55 tube amp (45 watts), a pair of Odyssey Stratos Monobloc Extreme version amps and a Sunfire Architect's Choice Series 625 watts this is the 17" version which has 25 watts more then the 19" version....I know it makes no scents. The Sunfire has two sets of speakers posts, one set for Current for connection of Electrostatics, Planar, and Ribbon speakers and Voltage posts for cone speakers. I will be using the system for two channel music only.
My questions is which amp will be best suited for the Montis and why?

Start with the Sunfire, and the cleanest will be the Voltage source, as that's a direct output of the amp. The current source out has a 1 Ohm resistor in to make the amp behave more like a tube amp, where its output FR tracks the impedance of the speaker by raising the output impedance (and lowering the damping factor) like what is seen with transformer coupled tube amps.
I use the Voltage source from my Sunfires to drive my ESLs (and dynamic woofers) as it is more accurate.

I second the notion that a Sanders amp is also a superb choice, I drive my Monolith panels with one, and use three Sunfires for the rest.

Back