Whats better - Tube or Solid State Amp

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been reading this thread...

I have a few questions:

1. What is your total budget, what do you plan on buying with that budget? Do you want 3.1 speakers, amplification, and processing for $5,000? Do you just want 3.1 & amplification? I understand you have a pair of Ascents.

2. Any reason for the Brands you mentioned? Are they all located at one store? Why did you choose them? I ask because the sonic signature of them all is completely different.

tsd2005, Good questions. Let me try to explain

I want to start with stereo and quickly build 3.1 in the next 30 days.

6 months down the road I want to have a 5.1 setup.

My budget for Amp and Pro is $5000. I can get new Rotel or Sunfire combo for $5000. And these were selected based on some of the reviews I saw and price/performance ratio.

To go to next level I will have to go B stock or used-mint. That is where I looked around for Parasound, Anthem Statement, Classe, Bryston, Aragon, and B&K.

Classe and Bryston got out of reach due to cost. From what I have read B&K is not as good as Anthem and Parasound. As far as Aragon is concerned there are mixed reviews and I can't seem to find a dealer that has a demo to listen. It has been difficult to find parasound (A51/C2) and Anthem (P5/AV30) for audition. I will be auditioning Parasound on Monday.

I live in PA and work in NJ and have called at least a dozen dealers and only found these available at 1 dealer but not the same.

So, as you can see it has been difficult to (1) select what to buy (2) audition short listed devices (3) find a used one or floor model.

That is where I turned to you guys for direction and leverage from your experience.

kamran said:
tsd2005, Good questions. Let me try to explain

My budget for Amp and Pro is $5000. I can get new Rotel or Sunfire combo for $5000. And these were selected based on some of the reviews I saw and price/performance ratio.

To go to next level I will have to go B stock or used-mint. That is where I looked around for Parasound, Anthem Statement, Classe, Bryston, Aragon, and B&K.

Classe and Bryston got out of reach due to cost. From what I have read B&K is not as good as Anthem and Parasound. As far as Aragon is concerned there are mixed reviews and I can't seem to find a dealer that has a demo to listen. It has been difficult to find parasound (A51/C2) and Anthem (P5/AV30) for audition. I will be auditioning Parasound on Monday.

I live in PA and work in NJ and have called at least a dozen dealers and only found these available at 1 dealer but not the same.

So, as you can see it has been difficult to (1) select what to buy (2) audition short listed devices (3) find a used one or floor model.

That is where I turned to you guys for direction and leverage from your experience.

A $5000 budget on separates means you can stay away from the average and above average and look at real Hi-Fi type of sound.

I'd stay away from Anthem and Sunfire. I'm just not impressed with the Anthem AVM30 sound, nor the Sunfire amps. I like the Sunfire Pre-Pro however, just as I like the Anthem amp. The price point you are at however, the Anthems are slightly harsh in the trebles. The Rotel is above average, but I again don't like their Pre-Pro.

NAD makes some separates but they are just out of your range at $6,000 total. Arcam however makes a pair of separates in your price range. They will top out at about $4,500. They are better in sound quality than the Anthem, Rotel, or Sunfire combos.

For $2,498 you can get Outlaw Audio's 990 Pre-Pro and 7500 amplifier (200 watts x 5). The Outlaw amps sound like a mix between NAD and B&K (and honestly, B&K is better than Rotel & Sunfire) taking the best of both's known sound. I'm a huge fan of the Outlaw amp. You can't get a better amp at the price. The Pre-Pro has a neutrality to it that make it a smart purchase.

If you go the Outlaw route, you save $2,500. That opens the door to buying a nice Audio Research Tube amp to power your Fronts now, rather than later. If you choose the 7700 (7x200 watts, $500 more) you have $2,000 left over for the Audio Research. The Outlaw could power your woofers in the fronts, while the Tube Amp powers your panels.

www.outlawaudio.com

They are direct only. They eliminate the middle man like myself. A $5,000 pair of separates at a Dealer, will cost that Dealer $3,000. So the Outlaw Audio gear is really like buying a $5,000 pair of separates. You might find you like the Arcam sound better (I do), but if you're going to use a Tube amp in the future the Outlaw solution is the better one.

The Outlaw amp is far better than any of the amps you're currently looking at that is for sure.

tsd2005 said:
You might find you like the Arcam sound better (I do), but if you're going to use a Tube amp in the future the Outlaw solution is the better one.

The Outlaw amp is far better than any of the amps you're currently looking at that is for sure.

Hmm, Thats interesting cause from reviews Parasound does seem to stand above all you mentioned including arcam, outlaw and B&K. I have heard good things about outlaw and B&K but didn't think they were better than Parasound.

I listened to Arcam side by side with Rotel at comparable specs on ML Vantage and found arcam to be dull and lacks bass. That is why I ruled it out.

kamran said:
Hmm, Thats interesting cause from reviews Parasound does seem to stand above all you mentioned including arcam, outlaw and B&K. I have heard good things about outlaw and B&K but didn't think they were better than Parasound.

I listened to Arcam side by side with Rotel at comparable specs on ML Vantage and found arcam to be dull and lacks bass. That is why I ruled it out.

All I can question here is the source and settings. Because the Vantage has its own amp for the woofer. You shouldn't have heard the difference you claim to have heard. My guess is the Arcam Pre-Pro was incorrectly set up.

The Arcam should have sounded very articulate not dull. There should not have been a bass issue because again the Vantage powers the woofer itself.

This leads me to believe the Dealer you visited isn't good at properly demonstrating equipment. Which in the high end field is tough.

I've been around a lot of amps, and I've never been a fan of Parasound. It isn't that I don't think they're good, because I do. It's just that at their price points I can always find better. It is like BAT and Boulder, I love their sounds. However I'd rather have a great amp and a nice car. So I don't have an over the top outragiously priced slightly better than great amp.

Bryston amps last forever, but I've never been all that impressed with their sound. I also know that reviews mean very little. I know too many professional reviewers and magazine editors. I know Reviews get bought and get edited after Manufacturer feedback. Unfortunately their adverts still pay the bills. So in a review you have to look for what they don't say. Which is tricky.

I trust my ears, but I don't trust very many Dealers to have things set up the way I do. After hearing your experience with the Vantage/Rotel/Arcam situation it justifies that feeling. There should have been no reason for a lack of bass, unless it wasn't set up correctly.

The Outlaw amp definately doesn't lack in Bass. It is one of the most powerful clean sounding amps out there. For its price it really has little to no competition.

If you go Outlaw Separates you get 3 benefits: 1. Great amp, you won't be replacing it. 2. Good Pre-Pro at a stunning price (about $1k), that will allow you to benefit from current technology, but also not be such a major investment that when DTS-True HD, etc. become mainstream in Pre-Pros it doesn't hurt your wallet so much to replace it. 3. You have money for that Audio Research Tube Amp.... which shines with Martin Logan.

I would suggest if you continue to go out and listen to different amps, that you don't use the Vantage or Summit as the speaker. Have them hook up the Vista, which needs the woofer to be powered. That will give you a much better idea on the sound.

Also have them go thru the menu setup with you so you can see bass settings, etc. For all we know that Arcam unit was setup for "small speakers," or something just as silly.

If you're interested in Aragon, contact Martin Logan and ask to speak to Paul Rosenberg. He created Aragon, and has very good knowledge about amps. He can tell you which models to search for and where. He is a very good guy too. Aragon was sold to Klipsch. Paul was hired by Martin Logan. So you can find out a lot by talking to Paul.

Kamran,
It sounds like your primary focus is to build up a home-theater/multi-channel system where you're not that fanatical about 2-channel performance (like myself for example). For this goal, tube amplifiers are not the best choice for 2 reasons:
  1. The extra transparency and warmth of tubes won't be fully realized when you're watching movies. You're wasting tube hours here when a good (class-A) solid-state amplifier will get the same result.
  2. Mixing tubes (for L/R channels) and solid-state (for center) will introduce imbalance to your front-channels and you might not like it. In multi-channel application, the center channel will dominate the vocal/midrange and will drown out the tubes on the left/right channels. I know this from my set-up!

To build up a good, musical HT/multi-channel system, I'd go with:
  1. Pass Labs (there's a Pass X5 on AudioGon) goin' for $2k.
  2. There's also a Parasound Halo A51 in NJ for $2500 (in your local area).
  3. If you really want warmth, there's a Butler 3-channel hybrid on A'gon for $1700.

I noticed that you wanted to build up a 3.1 system in 30 days and a full-blown system in 6 months. Why in such a hurry?

Spike

tsd2005 said:
This leads me to believe the Dealer you visited isn't good at properly demonstrating equipment. Which in the high end field is tough.

After hearing your experience with the antage/Rotel/Arcam situation it justifies that feeling. There should have been no reason for a lack of bass, unless it wasn't set up correctly.

I did have them switch to Revel F12 speakers and the difference in bass was same. So, you are probably right that the Arcam pre was not configured properly. The dealer was also surprised to hear the difference as he was saying a lot of good things about Arcam.

Spike said:
Kamran,

For this goal, tube amplifiers are not the best choice for 2 reasons:
  1. The extra transparency and warmth of tubes won't be fully realized when you're watching movies. You're wasting tube hours here when a good (class-A) solid-state amplifier will get the same result.
  2. Mixing tubes (for L/R channels) and solid-state (for center) will introduce imbalance to your front-channels and you might not like it. In multi-channel application, the center channel will dominate the vocal/midrange and will drown out the tubes on the left/right channels. I know this from my set-up!

To build up a good, musical HT/multi-channel system, I'd go with:
  1. Pass Labs (there's a Pass X5 on AudioGon) goin' for $2k.
  2. There's also a Parasound Halo A51 in NJ for $2500 (in your local area).
  3. If you really want warmth, there's a Butler 3-channel hybrid on A'gon for $1700.

I noticed that you wanted to build up a 3.1 system in 30 days and a full-blown system in 6 months. Why in such a hurry?

Spike

Reading that a Class A amp will provide similar sound characterstics as tube was one of the reason for shortlisting Parasound (It is class A/AB).

Why I am in a hurry? Well, wife keeps saying when will we be able to watch a movie with these expansive speakers.

:) The ULTIMATE reason. Keeping the spouse happy. Some might say the most important "component" to any home audio/theatre system.

kamran said:
Reading that a Class A amp will provide similar sound characterstics as tube was one of the reason for shortlisting Parasound (It is class A/AB).
Don't shortlist the Parasound A51 just yet. Having exchanged lots of posts/emails with John Curl in the past, I have lots of respect for the man and his sound design. The A51 is quite musical. Read for yourself the S'Phile review of Parasound A51 where there's a comparision of the A51 with the Pass X5.
Why I am in a hurry? Well, wife keeps saying when will we be able to watch a movie with these expansive speakers.
Good answer!

Spike

Spike said:
Don't shortlist the Parasound A51 just yet. Having exchanged lots of posts/emails with John Curl in the past, I have lots of respect for the man and his sound design. The A51 is quite musical. Read for yourself the S'Phile review of Parasound A51 where there's a comparision of the A51 with the Pass X5.

Good answer!

Spike

If I can find a used or B-stock with warranty I am going with Parasound. The damn thing is a bit deeper than my rack and will have to change it. I have the BDI 9522 rack which is only 18 inch deep.

I need something 21-22 inch deep. Any recommendation on a 5 or 6 shelve heavy duty rack that also looks elegant and stylish.

Adona Racks

kamran said:
I need something 21-22 inch deep. Any recommendation on a 5 or 6 shelve heavy duty rack that also looks elegant and stylish.
I have always liked the look of these racks. I do not have one but have seen them in person, and the company is right down the road from me.

Dan

kamran said:
If I can find a used or B-stock with warranty I am going with Parasound. The damn thing is a bit deeper than my rack and will have to change it. I have the BDI 9522 rack which is only 18 inch deep.

Just to update you, I finally ended up getting Parasound A51 with C2 controller. After using it for 2 weeks the sound quality is just absolutely amazing. I will revisit tube later for bi-amping the fronts in about 6 months after I get my center, surround and the sub. Thanks for all the help.

Congrats!

kamran said:
Just to update you, I finally ended up getting Parasound A51 with C2 controller. After using it for 2 weeks the sound quality is just absolutely amazing.
Many congrats on your new toys! I'm glad to see that the Parasound combo works for you. Now just sit back and enjoy the...movies :)
I will revisit tube later for bi-amping the fronts in about 6 months after I get my center, surround and the sub. Thanks for all the help.
Why wait? You have 5 high-quality channels powering 2 speakers. Why not put the extra channels to work bi-amping your Ascents to get a glimpse of the possibility? Basically, for each speaker, you'll be using 1 channel for the panel and another channel for the bass. Total of 4 channels to power both Ascents.

Good Luck
Spike

Glad to see you like your Halo combination with your Ascent i's.

FWIW, I have the A51/C2 as well and am using Ascents, Theater and Descent along with some in-ceiling rears for HT use and am thrilled with the sound.

If you like what you have with the Ascents, consider using more ML if you do the HT. I believe you'll like it!

RandyL999 said:
Glad to see you like your Halo combination with your Ascent i's.

FWIW, I have the A51/C2 as well and am using Ascents, Theater and Descent along with some in-ceiling rears for HT use and am thrilled with the sound.

If you like what you have with the Ascents, consider using more ML if you do the HT. I believe you'll like it!

The Theater-i and a pair Fresco with Descent sub is on my list of things to buy in the next 3 months. I can't wait but don't have the money now. All they movies I have are collecting dust.

Back