Pass Labs XA60.5 Class A Monos

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

churchill

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I just acquired a used (two months old) pair of Pass Labs XA60.5 class A mono's this past Thursday.:D

All I can say is WOW! These babies really sing! They are definitely a major step up from my Pass X250 for musicality, authority and sound-stage. I've had them ON since Thursday as this pair had little usage. I've been very impressed with sound right out of the box.

Here are a couple of pics and you'll see I need another amp stand ASAP!

Attachments

• P1000031.jpg
    P1000031.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 5,132
  • P1000036.jpg
    P1000036.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 3,492
  • P1000042.jpg
    P1000042.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 4,384
Just one question; the amp is rated at only 60W. Is that enough to run your speakers? I always thought ML speakers are very demanding?

Just one question; the amp is rated at only 60W. Is that enough to run your speakers? I always thought ML speakers are very demanding?

More importantly, the XA.5 amplifiers have tremendously larger output current capacity over their corresponding XA models – more than five times the current – which is more than 25 times the power into very low impedance loads. Very difficult loudspeakers are now very appropriate loads for XA.5’s.

this is from the pass website lots of current what a ML loves

Beautiful amps, I am envious as well. Congradulations.

Thanks for the kind comments guys!:bowdown:

Arif, yes these have lots of juice, they double down as the impedance drops, they top out at about 240 watts.

I have my CLS's crossed over at 77Hz so my sub is doing a lot of the heavy lifting.

Thanks for the kind comments guys!:bowdown:

Arif, yes these have lots of juice, they double down as the impedance drops, they top out at about 240 watts.

I have my CLS's crossed over at 77Hz so my sub is doing a lot of the heavy lifting.

Wonderful amps... and your use of the word "authority" is nuts-on. I have had a few different Pass amps (still run some in my HT) and I absolutely get the sense that they are always in complete control... while still having that famous Pass neutrality. Huge Congrats... and they look stunning as well. Hurry up and get that other matching amp stand ;)

Wow guys, I'm really impressed with these amps, by far the best that I've ever owned. Seems like everyday they get better and better! They match extremely well with the CLS IIz's. :music:

If you're considering Class A amps definitely give Pass labs a listen!

Congratulations! Time to rediscover the entire media library all over again! I also think about one day owning a set of Pass amps. I’ve always wondered how the XA.5 series compares to the X.5 series. Very nice, enjoy!

Congratulations! Time to rediscover the entire media library all over again! I also think about one day owning a set of Pass amps. I’ve always wondered how the XA.5 series compares to the X.5 series. Very nice, enjoy!

Thanks Sam!:bowdown: Yes, definitely rediscovering lots of my music!

I can't believe how great these amps sound!

I am also considering Pass Labs as amplification for Spires I will be receiving soon.

My question is: For 2 channel usage, would an XA30.5 out-perform an X350?

churchill, I see you have CLS. I'm sure your speakers have lower impedance dips than a hybrid ML. Would an XA series be necessary for a pair of Spires?

Thanks!

I am also considering Pass Labs as amplification for Spires I will be receiving soon.

churchill, I see you have CLS. I'm sure your speakers have lower impedance dips than a hybrid ML. Would an XA series be necessary for a pair of Spires?

Thanks!

It is difficult to know whether the X350 or the XA30.5 would be better for you. It depends upon the size of your room, the music you like, and the loudness level. Two different type of amps, with the XA.5 series being Class A.

That said, I owned the X250 previously and the XA60.5s are a big improvement in detail, soundstage and authority! They are incredible sounding amps!

Reno Hi Fi allows a demo before purchase I believe.

Mind if I hijack for a bit? I noticed the stand your using for the JL. Have you posted another thread on your decision to use something like that and the results?

Congrats on the new amp!

Gordon

I have heard the XA.5 series and the x.5 series. The differences are akin to tube design and SS design. The XA series sounds like my VTL-750's in triode mode - GREAT midrange, but poorer bass, poorer extension of the highs, and poorer dynamics. If you listen to a lot of vocals or small scale stuff, XA.5 was made for you. The X.5 series is just the opposite. As someone who hears a lot of live music, I am happy to trade the better bass, PRAT, and control for a slightly lesser midrange. I can see others trading the other way. Nelson Pass is a smart businessman, and has both bases covered.

Beautiful, just incredibly beautiful. Congrats on the awesome twins. That little speaker in the background isn't too shabby either:D

...The XA series sounds like my VTL-750's in triode mode - GREAT midrange, but poorer bass, poorer extension of the highs, and poorer dynamics...The X.5 series is just the opposite.
Perhaps that's an artifact of voltage clipping/limitation: XA60.5 maxes @ 32V, X350.5 @ 76V. For reference, Sanders = 93V, X600.5 = 99V

GREAT midrange, but poorer bass, poorer extension of the highs, and poorer dynamics.

None of this is true is my system, just the opposite the XA60.5s have great midrange, great highs and dynamics. They blew away my X250 for listening pleasure.

I didn't need them for bass as I'm running a JL F112 crossed over through my Pass Labs XVR1 at 88Hz using a 24dB slope.

I have heard the XA.5 series and the x.5 series. The differences are akin to tube design and SS design. The XA series sounds like my VTL-750's in triode mode - GREAT midrange, but poorer bass, poorer extension of the highs, and poorer dynamics. If you listen to a lot of vocals or small scale stuff, XA.5 was made for you. The X.5 series is just the opposite. As someone who hears a lot of live music, I am happy to trade the better bass, PRAT, and control for a slightly lesser midrange. I can see others trading the other way. Nelson Pass is a smart businessman, and has both bases covered.

Well, assuming your comments reflect reality, then I would have to take issue with your last sentence...

Back