Odyssey Stratos / ML speakers...anybody?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treitz3

Reaction score
Has anybody tried pairing this amplifier to Martin Logan speakers? If so, what were your observations?

Yep, I run Odyssey Stratos Mono Extreme SE's and love them. Please see my system, #172.

I use to use a B&K ST1400 Series II. Nice amp. Still have it for my center channel, but I always knew it wasn't doing justice to my Ascent i's.

So I picked up 2 used Mono Extremes. Big difference. More detail, more bass, more of everything. Soundstage seemed to be 4 feet or more beyond my speakers.

The weak link in my chain at that time was the pre. I was using my Rotel RSP 1066 pre-pro. Did an OK job but I wanted more, of course. Plus I had $$$ burning a hole in my pocket and I knew the HT world was fast evolving, so I spent on 2ch and last year I bought an Odyssey Candela and at the same time I sent in my Mono's for the "SE" upgrade.

What's in the SE upgrade? Here's the PM I got from Alex at Odyssey...

"The SE version has changes (better components) in the signal path and also replaces the bridge rectifier with Ultra Fast Soft Recovery “Fairchild” diodes, this make the amps to be ultra fast. Of course the power supply is massive with two 400VA toroidal power transformers per chassis, for a combine total of 1,600VA!! More power that you will ever need…"

Not sure if it was the amps or the Candela but he was right. Even before break in I noticed the amps were faster. Had more "attack" if you will. The most pleasant thing was that I had the imaging / soundstage I wanted without cranking up the volume. All is good and they continued to get better with break-in (300-400 hours).

As you can tell I'm very happy. These amps will drive the Logans with ease. Even if I try I can barely get them warm to the touch. They sound wonderful (to my ears) They're built like tanks. Have a 20 year warranty. Great service. Rabid following, so good resale value. And a flexible upgrade path. And you can buy customized color face / top plates. Not to sound boastfull but I really would put these up against anything in the price range (I think I've got about $2300 wrapped up in these two). You will be hard pressed to do better at that price. Only down side is that they're big honkers. 19" wide, 18" deep, I think 8" high...and HEAVY!

If you're so inclined, I reco you find an amp or set of monos used. Try them out. If you don't like simply sell them. If you like, then know you can upgrade as your budget allows.

If you want to know more there is an Odyssey Audio forum at audiocircle.com.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I actually have a Odyssey Stratos amplifier in my current system. They are running Tyler Acoustic's Taylos 7U's and yes, the sounds you describe are very similar to what I observed with the Tyler's.

I have the red board, upgraded caps and wiring. When I purchased it, I had already ordered an upgraded PC, but the amp was so big, I could not fit the PC in with my stand. As it is now, the amp is already hanging off the front of the stand slightly.

Basically, I was wondering how it would match up with a ML speaker. Here's a pic of the Odyssey in my rack.......

DCAM0459.jpg

Sorry, I misunderstood your OP. I assumed you already had the ML's and were considering the amp.

Your system looks nice. Amp just like mine :D

Enjoy! :cheers:

Back