NFL coaching firings

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eknuds01

Reaction score
Man, the axe continues to drop...now Shanahan is out.

I wonder where Cowher will end up? I can understand Detroit getting rid of their coach, but I think it was a horrible situation. Millen destroyed that franchise and Rod was let go after an 0-16 campaign.

Crennel is no surprise. Cleveland was aweful under him, save for one year (maybe last season when Anderson came out of nowhere and they won 10 or 11 games).

If Bills' coach isn't already fired he will be soon. I think his undoing was using their best weapon - Lee Evans. They all but stopped throwing the ball to him during the second half the season.

WOW. that surprises me about Shanahan. "Broncos coach for life" is what most of us think when we think of him...

tough on the fans there, I'm sure....

I would love to see Mike McCarthy at Green Bay get the axe, but it won't happen.

At least Wade Philips's job is safe, and it should be since he's done such a stellar job :confused:
I can't think of any other coach that would let the QB waive off the punting team. To me, that says everything you need to know about his "coaching style."

The NFL team owners are way too trigger happy when it comes to firing their coaches. Tony Dungy can't be the only fired coach only to take his new team to the Super Bowl.

Wow! I just heard about Shanahan. That surprises me as well. Also, I think the Jets were premature with the dismissal of Mangini.

According to NFL news, the Jets plan to speak with Cowher and the Browns are scheduled to meet with Mangini.

I was a little suprised about the Shanahan firing, I didn't think Pat Bowlen had the balls to do it after so many years together.

When I heard about Shanahan yesterday I was shocked, but not suprized. The team fell apart coming down the stretch, and the defense is arguably the worst in the league.

I think part of Shanahan's problem is he was both the GM and the coach, and it's really his GM role, and the selection of personnel (or lack thereof) that cost him both jobs.

He won't be out of work long. He took Wade Phillips job when he came to Denver. I wouldn't be too suprized to see him do the same thing and end up in Dallas. The morning news shows here in Denver are saying that he might end up in Kansas City or even San Diego!

I heard Cowher won't end up with the Jets job, but I don't see him coming to Denver either.

I heard Cowher won't end up with the Jets job, but I don't see him coming to Denver either.

Tim,
I think you'll see Cowher in Denver.
Of all the open head coaching jobs, IMHO Denver's head coaching job is the most attractive.

An owner who won't quickly pull the trigger if things don't go well, a loyal fan base, both very similar to the situation in Pittsburg.

I realize Shanahans record over the last 3 years has been dead even, but if you look at the injuries this year the Bronco's had, a better record next year should be a piece of cake.

Plus the AFC west is a very weak division and of all the teams without a current head coach IMHO Denver has the best overal player roster.

I think part of Shanahan's problem is he was both the GM and the coach, and it's really his GM role, and the selection of personnel (or lack thereof) that cost him both jobs..

Agreed wholeheartedly Tim, for as we know there is a reason why the majority of teams do have TWO people filling those roles, each one is a FULL TIME job !

I'm a little surprised the Bills retained Juron, his coahing was horrble, his inability to win in their own Division( 0-6) speaks volumes of his worth , IMO.
I suspect his leash next year will be short.

As a Diehard Steelers fan I can tell you Cowher is not the Great coach hes made out to be.In 15yrs he won 1 S.B. He lost alot a games over those years by being to carefree when playing lesser teams,a few of which cost us playoff spots at the end of the season.Mike tomlin,a second year coach has a better winning % than Cowher. Steeler teams are built thought the draft by Art Rooney.Cant wait to see him go somewhere,and we will see how great he is without a good front office. As for a new coach in Denver.....Bill Bellick... hands down the best coach out there!!!!!

As for a new coach in Denver.....Bill Bellick... hands down the best coach out there!!!!!

Unless it's someone I'm not aware of I think you mean 'Brian' not Bill (ex Ravens coach) ??

As a Diehard Steelers fan I can tell you Cowher is not the Great coach hes made out to be.In 15yrs he won 1 S.B. He lost alot a games over those years by being to carefree when playing lesser teams,a few of which cost us playoff spots at the end of the season.Mike tomlin,a second year coach has a better winning % than Cowher. Steeler teams are built thought the draft by Art Rooney.Cant wait to see him go somewhere,and we will see how great he is without a good front office. As for a new coach in Denver.....Bill Bellick... hands down the best coach out there!!!!!

Give me a freakin' break!

Not a great coach? I guess we only measure success by SB victories? A short list of Cowher's accomplishments:

He's the youngest coach to make the playoffs (38)

8 Division Titles and 6 AFC Title game appearances

He coached in two SB sand won his first (and only) championship against Seattle

He cost the steelers playoff births? Really? He coached there for 15 years and made the playoffs TEN times. Not many people complain about making the post season 2 out of every 3 years.

I have no idea why you posted Tomlin's career (all 2 seasons of it) vs Cowher's. Cowher coached for 15 years boasting a 0.619 winning percentage. Tomlin has a 0.666 win percentage, but has coached for just 2 seasons. I think he can maintain a win % over .600 (I hope so, I've been a Steeler fan for over 20 years).

Could Cowher be successful elsewhere - that remains to be seen. Some coaches flourish wherever they go (Phil Jackson and Pat Riley come to mind). I don't fault Cowher for working under arguably the best (and perhaps most respected) owner in professional sports. I think he could do very well in Denver, and perhaps less so for a franchise such as Detroit or Cleveland. But I don't see many coaches that would be able to turn those teams around, especially in this 'must win now and at all costs' mentality that 90% of the fans and owners adhere to.

He missed the playoffs 5 times in his last 9 years,with some good teams.Lost to the 3-13 browns in week two of 2000 which cost us a playoff berth,watch that game hes laughing on the sidelines.Lost twice to the 3-13 Bengals in 98 costing us a playoff berth.After winning the SB in 05,lost to the 2-14 Raiders,and went 8-8,with 7 win vs teams at.500 or under,going 1-7 vs teams above .500. Do you measure success in SB victorys????? if you answer no to this you should become a Bills Fan.Cowher is a Good coach!!!! I think most Steeler fans loved his tough guy image,as for being this Great Coach everyone is after,Not.

He missed the playoffs 5 times in his last 9 years,with some good teams.Lost to the 3-13 browns in week two of 2000 which cost us a playoff berth,watch that game hes laughing on the sidelines.Lost twice to the 3-13 Bengals in 98 costing us a playoff berth.After winning the SB in 05,lost to the 2-14 Raiders,and went 8-8,with 7 win vs teams at.500 or under,going 1-7 vs teams above .500. Do you measure success in SB victorys????? if you answer no to this you should become a Bills Fan.Cowher is a Good coach!!!! I think most Steeler fans loved his tough guy image,as for being this Great Coach everyone is after,cant understand that. Oh by the way hes won 9 Divison Titles not 8....with the teams the Steelers had over the past 15yrs,and Dick LeBeau and Dom Capers running the D,Forrest Gump could have won at least 7.

He missed the playoffs 5 times in his last 9 years,with some good teams.Lost to the 3-13 browns in week two of 2000 which cost us a playoff berth,watch that game hes laughing on the sidelines.Lost twice to the 3-13 Bengals in 98 costing us a playoff berth.After winning the SB in 05,lost to the 2-14 Raiders,and went 8-8,with 7 win vs teams at.500 or under,going 1-7 vs teams above .500. Do you measure success in SB victorys????? if you answer no to this you should become a Bills Fan.Cowher is a Good coach!!!! I think most Steeler fans loved his tough guy image,as for being this Great Coach everyone is after,Not.

Again, I'll let Cowher's record speak for itself. No coach is perfect, and every team loses to teams they 'should' have beaten. The Bucs lost to the lowly Raiders this season to give a recent example and who can forget Dallas getting pasted by Philly?

You mention the 2000 loss to the Browns as the sole reason for missing the playoffs. Nevermind the the three games they lost in a row to start the season and then losing another three in a row later on. That year the Titans were 13-3 and the Ravens were 12-4. The Broncos were 11-5 and the Colts were 10-6. So yeah, if the steelers would have beaten the lowly Brownies - they would have gotten in as the 6th seed (based on a tie breaker over the Colts on the better conference record) that year. I am not sure if that would have mattered since they were 1-3 against TEN and Baltimore. That was the year the Ravens won the whole thing with arguably the greatest defense ever.

The '98 steelers were just plain bad, going 7-9 and losing 5 in a row to close out the season (you seem to think this was a 'good' team for some reason). Even if you give the steelers the two wins from the Bengals, I am not sure it would have mattered since they lost to NE that year and NE was the last playoff team in there at 9-7.

Regarding the post SB season - it is not uncommon to have bad years following the SB wins. Look at Bucs after their title (5-11), the 2002 Pats (missed playoffs but were 9-7) just to name a few.

Naturally there's an aura around Cowher, and it depends on what you mean by 'great' coach. As I said before, it remains to be seen if Cowher could go elsewhere and be successful. We've seen Parcells excel all over the place, and I think he's the exception and not the rule. George Siefert was extremely successful when he coached the 49ers but was less than stellar when he took over in Carolina. Still, compared to his contemporaries, Cowher's coaching record is quite favorable:

Shula (328-156-6; 0.678 winning %) - 2 SB titles
Parcells (183-138-1) - 2 SB Titles
Belichick (153-90-0) - 3 SB Titles
Shanahan (146-95-0) - 2 SB Titles

Bill Cowher (161-99-1 includes playoff games) - 1 SB Title; AFC Central Division Titles in 1992, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 2001. AFC North Titles in 2002, 2004, 2007, and 2008.

Again, Cowher was able to dominate a division that (in my opinion) has been sort of weak In recent years since the Browns and Bengals have been bad for what seems like the longest time, and as a result Pittsburgh essentially owned that division and made the playoffs 10 of his 15 years with the team. You alluded to the Browns and Bengals twice, and as we all know, Pittsburgh has utterly dominated those teams for nearly 2 decades. What more do you want?

Compared to other teams, the Steelers, under Cowher from 1992-2006 have a better regular season record (149-90-1) than the Cowboys (132-108), Patriots (136-104), and Colts (134-106). It wouldn't surprise me if Cowher boasted the best regular season record from 1992-2006.

Based on the above, in my opinion, yes - Cowher is indeed a Great Coach. While it would have been nice to play in the SB a few more times and maybe win another SB or two (Lord knows some of those AFC title games were just gut wrenching), I don't hold that against him. He was a terrific coach for 15 years in an era that shows virtually no allegiance to coaches and players alike.

Last edited:
Eknuds01
You make some good points,but Im still glad hes gone.The jurys still out on Tomlin but I like what I see so far,that will change if he keeps Arians around next year, hes got to go!!!!!! Have a great New Year!!!!
Steelers 27 Chargers 10.

Gruden Out

TB has axed both Allen and Gruden. As a former Bucs season ticket holder, this is 'sort' of tough. He did take a team built by Dungy and retool the offense to win a superbowl against his old team (the Raiders).

Still, I got sort of tired of him stockpiling old QBs (keeping as many 4-5 on a roster at any given time) and then engaging on some sort whacky game of QB roulette each season.

The SB year was a lot of fun though. I was at the 49er playoff game and the Bucs totally dominated Garcia and that potent offense (Owens was with them back then). While I was in grad school at UF, I spent spent many sundays driving 120 mi (one way) to tailgate and then get back to Gainesville (usually very late at night).

Yeah, it's a bittersweet time for us Bucs fans, but these past couple years have been reminiscent of the Bucs in their early years, with their "creamsicle" jerseys, when we were the laughing-stock of late night TV. Seems most of the locals here agree it's time for a change, but I fear it will be 2-3+ years for rebuilding, if not longer.

I do feel bad for Grudens kids, as they'll likely be uprooted if Gruden takes a position elsewhere. Interestingly, Tony Dungy kept his kids and permanent home in Tampa, and has now rejoined his family here. It would have been surrealistic if the Glazers re-hired Dungy as their coach, but no way that was gonna happen! We're hoping Raheem Morris will bring a new dimension to the team.

Back