Newbie with Quest ML Questions

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roboticstar77

Reaction score
Hi,

I wish I had thought of visiting this forum sooner, I've learned so much about ML in the last 2 days from this forum.

My set up is

Sony Bravia LCD
ML Quest '93
Denon AVR-2307CI
Mirage Os3 CC center speaker
Cambridge audio 640A Azur
Infinity sub
PS3, XBOX360, DVD player and HD cable

I have a pair of '93 ML Quest, that my uncle was kind enough to give to me. I instantly fell in love with them :D. They seem to be rarely used and in great condition. I thought this was great since I just got a new Sony Bravia LCD for Christmas....So I did the next logical thing and went out to buy a receiver. This is where the forum would have helped and I learned tough and great lesson in the world of hi-performance audio and video equipment.

Its been a year since I decided to tweak the system again. Now the system seems to fall short in expectations in potential performance. I was told from electronic equipment salesman that the the amp might be too weak to handle the Quest. But, I also spoke with someone from ML and they also suggested changing out the panels for 700.00. In my opinion the panels seem well maintained and I've been caring for them as well, thanks to the great advice from members of the forum.

Back to the tweaking...I just started to really dig into the advance features of the receiver through the "manual channel level "settings. I was trying to match the L and R Quest to the center speaker and sub. Since, the center speaker was always much louder than the ML. I noticed it took the center speaker to be set to -12dB and the ML Quest to +7.5dB for them to sound close. The settings were almost to the end of the each others range..." Does it matter what I'm watching while testing, that is what source is used for the settings?"

So, to sum up the questions to the pro's :bowdown: is it my settings on my AVR, the panels on the Quest, or the amp.

I do appreciate any help...I would love to maximize the potential of these beautiful ML... without selling the house

Thanks ML lovers :rocker:

Last edited:
Robot,
It could be a combination of all of the above.
We need a little more info.
What is the receiver?
How are you measuring? Are you using a Sound Level Meter?
What is the center channel and its sensitivity ratings?
You should be using the test signals from the reciever in combination with a SPL meter to set your speakers.

Hi WB,

Thanks for responding...

The receiver is a Denon AVR-2307CI
-Front(Aand B) 100W+100W(8 ohms, 20Hz)
135W+135W(6 ohms, 1kHz)

output terminals: Front A or B...6- 8 ohms
A+ B.....12-6 ohms

The way I am measuring was first using the supplied automatic measuring sensor that came with the AVR.
The auto channel level settings that the device came up with did not seem balanced. The center speaker came through too loudly. Overlapping the ML's. So, I tried tweaking it manually and the results were odd. I had to dial the center speaker all the way down to the max -12dB and I had to crank the L and R to +7.5 dB. Is this normal? I did'nt want to max out the ML's to +12dB, but if I did it did get louder to the max out low setting of the center speaker...sounded more even.

The center speaker is a Mirage Os3 CC, the specs are:

Frequency Response 70 Hz - 20 kHz
Nominal Impedence 8 Ohms
Power Handling 175 Watts
Recommended Amplifier Power 10 to 175 Watts
Impedance 4 Ohms minimum
Crossover Point 700Hz, 2,7kHz

I haven't bought a sound level device, thinking about it...but don't know how to use one.

additional info...
Front L and R speakers are set to small
crossover frequency is set 60 Hz

*could the source that is used for the adjustments affect the sound levels, such as adjusting based on espn channel or blue-ray DVD.

Thanks for your time and feedback...Knowledge is Power!

Last edited:
Great looking system!

WB,

Great system:bowdown:...I truly believe that you always need help along the way to achieve the knowledge to do great things:rocker:

I haven't bought a sound level device, thinking about it...but don't know how to use one.

you really should have one !

Thanks Fishman

I am definitely getting one!...will the device be easy to use and what am I looking out for.

Thanks for any reply!...Knowledge is Power:rocker:

Suggestions on a sub $1000.00 amp or Panel change

If the setting are fine on the AVR...could you guys suggest a decent sub-$1000.00 amp. I guess my other choice is replace the panel as well :confused: I'm still trying to figure out what is the best route! Can't spend too much, just got married and saving for a place...then I can spend for better quality components :D

also...if the Quest have a recommended amplifier power of 80-200 watts is my Cambridge amp pointless

Cambridge Audio Azur 640 A
Power Output: 75 watts into 8 Ohms
120 watts into 4 Ohms
Input Impedance: 47k Ohms
Loudspeaker Impedance: 4 to 8 Ohms

....or should I just wire it up to the receiver

Denon AVR-2307CI

Front(Aand B) 100W+100W(8 ohms, 20Hz)
135W+135W(6 ohms, 1kHz)

A+ B.....12-6 ohms

Thanks for clearing things up if you can...this Hz, watts and ohms is confusing me like it did in college : )

Last edited:
If the setting are fine on the AVR...could you guys suggest a decent sub-$1000.00 amp. I guess my other choice is replace the panel as well :confused: I'm still trying to figure out what is the best route! Can't spend too much, just got married and saving for a place...then I can spend for better quality components :D

What you are looking for is high quality amp. My recommendation is a used Sunfire 2ch amp such as this one on audiogon. http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1228984728&/Sunfire-300-Watt-Audio-Amp-300 Sunfire amps come in 200, 300, and 400wpc. any will be fine. A 'High quality' amp is defined by one that doubles it wattage ratting as the impedance (ohms) is halved. All electrostatic speakers drop in impedance as the frequency of the sound (Hz) rises. ML can drop as low a 1 ohm and put a lot of strain on a receiver that can not supply the current (amps) demanded at those times.

also...if the Quest have a recommended amplifier power of 80-200 watts is my Cambridge amp pointless

Cambridge Audio Azur 640 A
Power Output: 75 watts into 8 Ohms
120 watts into 4 Ohms
Input Impedance: 47k Ohms
Loudspeaker Impedance: 4 to 8 Ohms

probably a little on the light side, notice that the power only goes from 75 to 120 watts (not 150) when the impedance drops from 8 to 4 ohms. IF you already own this, I would give it a try but I would definitely not purchase this for the Quests.

....or should I just wire it up to the receiver

Denon AVR-2307CI

Front(Aand B) 100W+100W(8 ohms, 20Hz)
135W+135W(6 ohms, 1kHz)

A+ B.....12-6 ohms
Also the ratings on receivers is usually quoted when only those two channels are being played, not all 5. look for line 'all channels driven in the spec sheet'. Also receivers rarely double down.

Thanks for clearing things up if you can...this Hz, watts and ohms is confusing me like it did in college : )

Hz - frequency of the sound
watts - power supplied by the amp (is voltage times current). Electrostatic speakers are current pigs.
ohms - impedance of the speakers, think of this as load. Higher impedance draws less current at the same voltage, MLs are low impedance devices. typically under 4 ohms.

I drove my set with a receiver for well over a year before buying the amps I now have. I my first amp was a Sunfire Symphonic Reference 200 watts per channel (wpc) that I purchased used from member Cherian. Big difference.

Hope this helps and welcome to our insanity.
--burke

Thank you soooo much!!!!

Thanks Burke,

That was some of the best help I've gotten from anyone that includes the people at the audio stores...:rocker:

I just wanted to ask what might be yours or anyone's else's opinion on the idea of changing out the panel. Is it better to go the amp route first. Thanks again for everyone's input.:D...I still have to go home and further analyze the info, I'm still at work :D
By the way I use currently a 3.1 system...

Knowledge is Power!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back