New old CLS from Poland

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Over one year after cleaning and repair, CLS still sounds excellent. I used many solid state amplifier, the best sound stage and bas ( strong like from big woofer ) was with Rotel RHB-10 Michi.

Now I use tube apm. Ayon Triton ( 8 x KT150 ) and for me it is the best sounding amplifier for my CLS.

Before I bought it I afraid impedance drop and high capacity of CLS but Ayon drive it without problems.

I found resonance source.

I take flashlight and start observe panels when plays... and I found this.

View attachment 22709

loosened tape on back side of panel. In both the same. When I push it tape stay glued but because of front panel I can't repair this.

I have nothing to lose. I can play music with fart on bass or send it to repair. Before I send it I try to repair but I need to take out front panel. After that I want to use rubber roller with little heat on glue and stay with some load on this place. After that put panel back and... we will see.

I read on MLO that people opened smaller panels, CSL should open the same.

Yes, they are profesionalist, they have many video from work, like here:

It's difficult to tell what I'm seeing in the circled area of your photo.

Is that one of the spars (i.e. a diaphragm support spacer) behind the stator, or is it a wrinkle in the diaphragm? I'm wondering because I didn't think there should be a vertical spar that close to the panel edge.

I may have a trick for you to pull it back together...

Before I bought it I afraid impedance drop and high capacity of CLS but Ayon drive it without problems.
That would have been my concern too. I assume those big attractive metal cans enclose toroidal transformers. Maybe that's the secret. The specs say "Load Impedance: 8 and 4 ohms", which is not very meaningful (damping factor?). My experience with tubes driving CLS II's was not satisfying, rolled off treble. But they were just classic Dynaco E-core transformers.

It's difficult to tell what I'm seeing in the circled area of your photo.
Hi.
It is tuning tape. It is glued to the rear stator on inside surface by Martin Logan. I have early model with first type of transformers and PCB. It is standard adhesive tape and after few years dust sticks there.

Hi.
It is tuning tape. It is glued to the rear stator on inside surface by Martin Logan. I have early model with first type of transformers and PCB. It is standard adhesive tape and after few years dust sticks there.

That's interesting. I'm trying to imagine how it would affect the sound. The old Acoustats use a strip of felt on the rear stator to absorb some of the energy of the diaphragm's drum head resonance. The tuning tape could serve as a barrier opposing a pressure wave, so perhaps it serves the same function as the felt on an Acoustat.

My experience with tubes driving CLS II's was not satisfying, rolled off treble
Hi,

I don't have problems with rolled off treble

The specs say "Load Impedance: 8 and 4 ohms"

yes, but Ayon technician said : "your speakers impedance is no mater, can be 8 ohm or 1 ohm. Choose this speaker connector witch sounds better for you"

I assume those big attractive metal cans enclose toroidal transformers. Maybe that's the secret.

Ayon use the best in europe Lundahl chokes and transformers on input, probably the same on OPT. Amplifier weights over 100lbs about 90lbs weights transformers.

Back