New member seeks views on strange hum ...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James R.

Reaction score
Afternoon all. New member here, proud and recent owner of Vantages. Love the sound, but appear to be getting a very low, undulating, non-directional hum. Don't think it's poor earthing, don't think it's "amp floor" (it's different from faintly perceptible "open channel" noise if I put my ear to speaker when plugged in) - to be honest could be random ambient noise in flat but seems to be new and coincide with speakers being plugged in. Not connected to amp / CD being on. Still experimenting but wondering whether anyone had any thoughts ... ?

Cheers,

James

James, welcome ! Former Vantage owner here, the 'hum' you speak of, does it come from the bass driver ? and Is it noticeable only when you get fairly close to the driver with your ear ? If so this is the norm for all Vantages that I have come across. Now if you can here from your listening position then there is an issue.

Thanks ....

Thanks - it isn't the "open channel" noise on the speaker ... Think I need to have a bit of an investigate to see if it is hitherto unnoticed room noise as I am not sure it's coming from the speaker at all ... Will let you know if I track it down.

Cheers,

James

I had a sub hum for quite a long time and FINALLY got it figured out. A friend was helping me change out my processor (went from a Rotel 1098 to a Rotel 1098 w/ HDMI switching...and a functional front screen as mine has given up the ghost) and when he pulled the pre out cable for the sub, it was messed up! It had not been properly soldered and was shorting out and causing the hum! Easy fix and all is well with the world again

So, switch out the cable first of all and go from there...

Good luck and welcome aboard!

I'm an ex Vantage owner and now have the Spire. Both of these speakers have some sort of "noise" from the woofer. It is not noticeable from my sweet spot but I know it is there which slightly irrates me but in the overall scheme of things is acceptable. From what I've been able to gather from here, it is normal.

Gordon

Back