New CLS panels no left and right?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mosttoysrk

Reaction score
I am enjoying my new "old" CLS speakers with the new panels I noticed the bass sections on the new panels are equal. So there is no right and left specific panel like the previous panels?

I am enjoying my new "old" CLS speakers with the new panels I noticed the bass sections on the new panels are equal. So there is no right and left specific panel like the previous panels?

Hola...as far as I do know, yes they do...the thicker part of each panel should be at the out-side...not inside. See the pictures here at the timeline section of this forum...regards, and happy listening,
Robertol
:musicnote:

Roberto is right, unless

the Chinese are ripping us off again!! I know it's not your eyes, but I'm shocked. You better email Jim Power immediately and ask him: [email protected] Could it be the replacements they're producing now aren't the same as the originals? I just don't think so.

Here is a picture of my panels, measured on each side about 4" even one side is not larger than the other.

Attachments

• IMG_3323.jpg
    IMG_3323.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 432
They sound great, of course I have nothing to compare them to as I just purchased these speakers last week with the new panels installed so I have no reference.
I sold my original Quest speakers and just love these. I am powering them with a Krell KSA-250 and KBL preamp. You can just see a little bit of the amp on the right side. I know, I know.... everyone here seems to hate Krell but I am pleased with how they power the CLS and sound... maybe ignorance is bliss.
I don't want to listen to a tube amp on these otherwise I will be tempted....
I will contact Jim tomorrow and see what he says about these panels...

They sound great, of course I have nothing to compare them to as I just purchased these speakers last week with the new panels installed so I have no reference.
I sold my original Quest speakers and just love these. I am powering them with a Krell KSA-250 and KBL preamp. You can just see a little bit of the amp on the right side. I know, I know.... everyone here seems to hate Krell but I am pleased with how they power the CLS and sound... maybe ignorance is bliss.
I don't want to listen to a tube amp on these otherwise I will be tempted....
I will contact Jim tomorrow and see what he says about these panels...

Hola...those are CLSI, not CLSII. The truth is, I did not know that those panels are still available. Look at the plate at the back of the electronics, near the speakers cable connector. The model is there. I did change mines long time ago from CLS1 to CLSII stat panels and did ask Jim about them, and he said that no problem...enjoy your new speakers...happy listening,
Roberto.

Roberto,
My serials are CLS 3880 3881 on the electronics and the panels are CLS SE 846 and 847. From what I read here I also thought only CLS II panels were available. Is there a difference on how the two panels sound?
After reading a few reviews was there an upgrade in the electronics around the 5xxx serials for the CLS1?

Well Krell has got THE name over here in Europe...

They are CLS II panels

Hola...those are CLSI, not CLSII. The truth is, I did not know that those panels are still available. Look at the plate at the back of the electronics, near the speakers cable connector. The model is there. I did change mines long time ago from CLS1 to CLSII stat panels and did ask Jim about them, and he said that no problem...enjoy your new speakers...happy listening,Roberto.
CLS 1 panels have only horizontal spars, not vertical ones (ie - no L and R bass sections.) At least that's what I always understood. When MartinLogan changed the model from the CLS 1 to the CLS II, that's when the panel was changed as well. The CLS 1 panel looks a lot like the panel on the Monolith.

Make sure you send Jim the picture too!

Here is a picture of my panels, measured on each side about 4" even one side is not larger than the other.
It does look a bit odd for a CLS II panel. Could it be Roberto is correct and they made a few like this before the model change? You never know with ML. I jumped on a guy the other day who claimed to be selling ML speaker cable! Guess what -- he was! Jim Power confirmed it! So it would definitely be good to check with the factory.

"CLS 1 panels have only horizontal spars, not vertical ones"

I have always thought the same about the CLS1, but I saw the old panels when I purchased these speakers and they looked just like the ones I have in it now.
Weird....

Refresh my memory:

I have always thought the same about the CLS1, but I saw the old panels when I purchased these speakers and they looked just like the ones I have in it now.
Weird....
didn't you say the seller had just recently bought the "new" panels? Maybe I didn't understand. . . . .

Sorry, I am not being clear, Yes the seller replaced the panels prior to me picking them up. When I picked them up the old panels he removed were leaning against the wall (this is the same person who was selling the old CLS panels for $35.00 on craigslist)

So you don't know when/where he got the 'replacements'? Check w/ Jim Power is my advice.

CLS 1 panels have only horizontal spars, not vertical ones (ie - no L and R bass sections.) At least that's what I always understood. When MartinLogan changed the model from the CLS 1 to the CLS II, that's when the panel was changed as well. The CLS 1 panel looks a lot like the panel on the Monolith.

Hola...you can see here http://www.us.martinlogan.com/pdf/brochures/brochure_cls.pdf
http://www.us.martinlogan.com/pdf/brochures/brochure_cls_1color.pdf
http://www.us.martinlogan.com/pdf/brochures/brochure_cls_ii.pdf

Your panels are CLS I

Happy listening,
Roberto.

[I am powering them with a Krell KSA-250 and KBL preamp. You can just see a little bit of the amp on the right side. I know, I know.... everyone here seems to hate Krell but I am pleased with how they power the CLS and sound... maybe ignorance is bliss...]

Hi Everyone,

I am a newbie to this website and am wondering what the past negative reference(s) to Krell might be? I am a Krell owner and have heard Krell products in the past on MLs. I heard some terrific music reproduction in these sessions. Have there been some postings about specific ML/Krell models that have yielded poor performance? Are we talking about Krell amps, preamps or integrateds? If so, with which ML modesl? Obviously, I'd like to avoid bad combinations.

Thanks!

Rick

[I am powering them with a Krell KSA-250 and KBL preamp. You can just see a little bit of the amp on the right side. I know, I know.... everyone here seems to hate Krell but I am pleased with how they power the CLS and sound... maybe ignorance is bliss...]

Hi Everyone,

I am a newbie to this website and am wondering what the past negative reference(s) to Krell might be? I am a Krell owner and have heard Krell products in the past on MLs. I heard some terrific music reproduction in these sessions. Have there been some postings about specific ML/Krell models that have yielded poor performance? Are we talking about Krell amps, preamps or integrateds? If so, with which ML modesl? Obviously, I'd like to avoid bad combinations.

Thanks!

Rick

Rick, Krell and ML is a combo that might turn out being too razor sharp. Both companies, in their competence field, are building quite revealing gear. If you choose to ride the SS horse with ML's, I'd steer away from Krell and check out Accuphase (just an example). But the best experiences around here, from them who can (TM) seem to be tubes & ML. Not what I favor and not my flavour, but nevertheless something to check out.

Roberto, so you are saying

that there were two different panel designs during the CLS I years, and the second design had the symmetrical bass side sections? That's very interesting. I thought all the CLS I panels looked like the first picture which you listed.

that there were two different panel designs during the CLS I years, and the second design had the symmetrical bass side sections? That's very interesting. I thought all the CLS I panels looked like the first picture which you listed.

LOL...the first was CLS, then CLS I, then CLS IA, then CLS II and then CLS IIZ. On these four models, CLS had the horizontal spars, then CLS I and CLS Ia had the vertical sides with the same size, and the CLS II had the left speaker at the out side bigger then the inner side. In other words, you do have left and right speaker with CLS II and up versions...happy listening,
Roberto.

Back