Network Streamer?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a Hegel H590 integrated amp. The Hegel DAC is pretty good. Maybe the Cambridge Audio CXN will be better.

But I'm really just looking for the convenience of being able to run Tidal from my phone and not my wife's laptop!
If the Cambridge has digital out, you can try that and compare sound quality. I did that with my Sonos. The receiver sounded better.

My audio salesperson is urging me to buy a network streamer, in particular the Aurender N150. He's asking
$3500 for it.

Right now, I have a subscription to Tidal and connect my laptop via USB to my integrated amp. The amp has a pretty
good DAC and does the full MQA "unfolding" thing.

The only problem is that I have to get up and go to the laptop if I want to do anything, i.e. no remote.

$3500 seems pretty steep to me for something which the laptop is doing for free.

Am I missing something? Any advice appreciated.

Thx.
Mytek Brooklyn Bridge Gen I. Solid as a rock bought in 2020 and running well. The Gen II (Roon capable and whi needs it) is available for $3500
My audio salesperson is urging me to buy a network streamer, in particular the Aurender N150. He's asking
$3500 for it.

Right now, I have a subscription to Tidal and connect my laptop via USB to my integrated amp. The amp has a pretty

The only problem is that I have to get up and go to the laptop if I want to do anything, i.e. no remote.

$3500 seems pretty steep to me for something which the laptop is doing for free.

Thx.
Mytek Brooklyn Beidge Gen I bought in 2020 performs solid as rock. The new one, Roon capable ( who needs Roon? Not me when I am a stereo purist) is available for $3500. The new one is Airplay capable (stubborn apple no hires stream) but Tidal, Deezer, Qobuz are available via mConnect app.

Mytek Brooklyn Bridge Gen I

Attachments

• IMG_2461.jpeg
    IMG_2461.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
$3500 for it.

Thx.

A wireless keyboard and wireless mouse may help solve the remote problem. I do not know whether both will work with a laptop. Since a laptop already has a built in keyboard and mouse.

Both wireless items connect with, in my case a desktop, through Bluetooth. A Bluetooth signal receiver has the shape of a extremely small usb thumb drive. Attaches to computer usb connector.

My wireless keyboard and mouse each run on single AAA battery. I change the battery every month or 2. A better option would be hardware that has permanent built in battery.

CONCLUSION

First, find out if both wireless items are compatible with your laptop. Another requirement is at least 55 inch UHD TV screen size. Connected to your laptop through HDMI.

The above procedure works with my HP Pavilion desktop. May or may not be possible with a windows laptop.

Other than the remote issue if you desire improved sonics then approx. $ 3700 will get you Holo spring kitsune 3 dac and a suitable HP desktop computer.

Apple computer Mac mini is suitable too. Apple mini with similar specs to HP Pavilion used to be approx. twice the price.

Last edited:
Lol, he actually said that I would end up thanking him!

Will checkout Bluesound Node. Thx.

For stuff like this which is purely digital I think that a few hundred dollars should be sufficient. I don't need a DAC.

Just something that will attach to my home network, stream Tidal to my amp and be controllable from my phone.

The most expensive Aurender is $25,000 USD which is insane.

Audirvana software allows access to Tidal and playback of Tidal music. Need a separate subscription for Tidal.

Possible to operate Audirvana software from cellular. And by extension Tidal through phone. I do not have Tidal subscription. Require 8Gb of RAM to operate Audirvana on Android cellular.

$3500 for it.

Thx.
You can build a network music streamer on the cheap with a Raspberry Pi, a small single board computer. There are dozens of dedicated streamer options you can burn onto a SD card and plug it into the Pi. One of the most popular and versatile is Volumio. I don't know what streaming services (Tital, etc.) are compatible with which streaming software for Pi, since I don't use them, but I'd be surprised if Volumio isn't. If not, something probably is. If you wanted to go the Roon route, that is, and Ropieee is a Pi-based Roon endpoint.

The latest Raspberry Pi model is the 4B. Previous models suffered a USB data bottleneck, meaning you'll want to feed your DAC via spdif. For that you'll need a "HAT" that plugs in on top of your Pi board. Supposedly there is no USB bottleneck with the Pi4B, so you can use a USB DAC. Unfortunately, they are currently suffering from a supply chain bottleneck, and the time frame when you can buy one from other than a rapacious scalper is unknown. I have many earlier Pi boards--I've lost track of how many--and I've used them for Roon endpoints and Logitech Media Server players and servers. Right now I use my Oppo UDP205 for playing files from my home network and as a Roon endpoint, and have no plans to purchase a highfalutin' streamer, regardless of who is doing the urging.

If you want to control a standard PC remotely, a wireless keyboard is a good option. Logitech makes many keyboards, mice, and keyboard/trackpad options that come with a USB RF dongle you plug into the PC. Most modern PC operating systems, including all recent flavors of Windows, are fine with multiple keyboards and mice. You can also use a FLIRC, a USB IR remote receiver dongle that is highly customizable. You can use the dinky little remote that you can buy with it, or a universal IR remote (like the late lamented Harmony). FLIRC was especially designed to work with Kodi, which is a general home theater program that can run on a Pi, but for audio only it's a little overkill.

Probably IP control is best for PC's. I'm still anxiously awaiting my "Unfolded Circle" (formerly "YIO") remote that I funded on Kickstarter, to explore those options.

who needs Roon? Not me when I am a stereo purist
Roon is a music library management program that has little to do with being a stereo purist (even though members of their forum constantly claim to hear sound quality differences between Roon and other library management programs, like JRiver). If set up according to the defaults, it will feed a bit-perfect signal to your DAC. It does have the ability to integrate with DSP based room correction algorithms like Dirac if you chose to. use it.

Not necessarily plugging Roon. It is expensive, though I bought a lifetime subscription years ago. I find ripping and tagging digital files tedious--especially classical, which is my main music diet--so have ended up not using it very much. I have a relatively modest collection of music files, but loading a CD into the player, or a record onto the turntable, is just easier for me. I have a lot more choices, and enlarging my file collection to the point where I have a comparable number of choices is not a labor of love for me. And the streaming services I've looked at do not impress me. They mostly don't cater to the classical music lover.

Why on earth would you need that for audio streaming? Even the premium streamers under discussion have relatively small screens. Any laptop probably has a bigger one.

Please forgive me I should have provided explanation.

The reasonable size TV is for able to see computer text from a distance of 5 to 8 feet.

Will help when seated and away from desktop. Laptop assuming not intend to use further.

While seated able to operate not only Audirvana-Tidal but MLO and other website with ease employing wireless mouse and keyboard.

Of course a cellular would be handy. More luxurious for rpokuls to use TV instead of cellular.

Sorry for causing confusion. Just a option I put forward. Rpokuls may consider and disregard.

And the streaming services I've looked at do not impress me. They mostly don't cater to the classical music lover.
Do check out Apple Classical Music; it is a whole new experience. They are mostly high-res lossless, and there a ton of Atmos mixes there as well. Apple Airpod Max headset is not only a great headphone, it does a very good job on Atmos playback. And I'm comparing it to my Smyth Realizer A16 Atmos headphone processor ($4k) + my Electrostatic cans.

An AppleTV box can feed your 2ch system.

I know I'm repeating myself on a previous post here, but why not entertain ANDROID TV-type devices... higher end (Nvidia Shield), or even cheap $70 Android TV boxes - just search "Android TV box" on Amazon. Then it becomes a function of which streaming service you want to try, and how well implemented they might be on the Android/Android-TV platforms.

As for what I do, well, I "standardized" on the Nvidia Shield (got 2 of them in the house). I have them configured with all my streaming services (Netflix, hulu, disney, etc., etc.), plus I have a 512GB USB drive plugged in with my entire lossless-WMA-ripped CD collection, and will be comparing some of the streaming/management options and their UIs offered for Android TV (Amazon music, Roon, tidal, Qobuz, etc., etc.).
Since we are talking about streaming digital files, and my Receiver and Pre/Pro (Anthem MRX 5xx and AVM 50V2) both have decent DACs, I don't see the point in spending megabucks on dedicated streamers.

Cheers!

Roon is a music library management program that has little to do with being a stereo purist (even though members of their forum constantly claim to hear sound quality differences between Roon and other library management programs, like JRiver). If set up according to the defaults, it will feed a bit-perfect signal to your DAC. It does have the ability to integrate with DSP based room correction algorithms like Dirac if you chose to. use it.

Not necessarily plugging Roon. It is expensive, though I bought a lifetime subscription years ago. I find ripping and tagging digital files tedious--especially classical, which is my main music diet--so have ended up not using it very much. I have a relatively modest collection of music files, but loading a CD into the player, or a record onto the turntable, is just easier for me. I have a lot more choices, and enlarging my file collection to the point where I have a comparable number of choices is not a labor of love for me. And the streaming services I've looked at do not impress me. They mostly don't cater to the classical music lover.
I understand Roon but having two speakers and music sources in a single location doesn’t make Roon attractive or usefule to any “stereo purist”. And why would I need to manage my music sources when I have SACD’s that can’t be ripped or manage without me trying to go around the propeietary DSD just to make it digital. If I can make Roon load my SACD’s into the player, maybe I’ll consider Roon. I hope you are clear now on why I don’t find ROON usedul at all.

I know I'm repeating myself on a previous post here, but why not entertain ANDROID TV-type devices...

It's a great option, but it depends on how you are going to use it.

It'll do Spotify alright, and a few other services.

It'll become a Squeeze endpoint with SBPlayer or Squeezeplayer.

You can install Kodi and probably do a whole lot of things - but that is more of a PITA than much else.

Other things might be a bit harder.

In the end, I reckon setting up a RaspberryPi as a Squeezebox (with PiCorePlayer) or a Roon endpoint (with RoPieee) is probably easier, smaller and cheaper. But that's just me.

Back