Neolith Purchase Order Has Been Placed

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is doing my head in is how a 1.2KW amp can have any difficulty with a 90DB speaker. Something odd going on.

I'll investigate further. Those tracks were very heavy in low bass content. You could feel the pressure but the volume, while loud, was not extreme.

Too loud maybe.

Gordon, Yes I'm pushing the envelope but ML rates these speakers to 1300 watts (and the speakers performed great). I pushed the amps to 1200 watts peak (they are rated 1200 continuous). I expected everything to hold as I am within specs. I have played some drum solos already and pushed the limits on those. The results were great. The best I've heard from any electrostats. It's unlikely that I will test Miles or Coltrane that hard and I don't want the ladies singing jazz to be yelling at me. However some pieces will get pushed hard. Later when I put the entire multi channel system together there will be as many as 6 Velodyne DD 18 plus' to take the low end chore from the amps and Neoliths.

Gary

Last edited:
What is doing my head in is how a 1.2KW amp can have any difficulty with a 90DB speaker. Something odd going on.
Using one of the several online calculators for such things, I ran the numbers last evening and got ~110dB @ 1,200W @ 15' listening distance.

Using one of the several online calculators for such things, I ran the numbers last evening and got ~110dB @ 1,200W @ 15' listening distance.

Could have been 110 dB, based upon measurements that I have taken in the past.

When we have the "Road Trip" to come here to hear these beasts I'll issue ear plugs at the door.:D

Gary

Last edited:
Could have been 110 dB, based upon measurements that I have taken in the past.

When we have the "Road Trip" to come here to hear these beasts I'll issue ear plugs at the door.:D

Gary

geeeez.... u watch those ears gary

I am, just trying and keep the arms distance factory involvement demands. Gary is having fun with a new toy and we love it. The speaker is not very difficult although being all passive it is a bit harder than some powered items. Gary is simply maxing out the outputs and even with 1.2K, you will run it out. Low distortion at even those levels means that a person doesn't have the clues that you are at very high levels. it is often distortion that people use as a clue it is time to turn it down.
Mike Ware and I will be at the upcoming Newport show by the way with a pair of reds and the 1.2Ks. I am sure i will see some of you there.

Pete, Thanks for the assist. I wasn't looking to defend my lifestyle but yes occasionally I drive too fast, eat too much, and party too hard. Right now I feel like the guy in the old maxell tape ad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiJzLfxWooo

One of the longtime complaints about Logans is you don't get the "You are there" feel. Until now, I have agreed with that premise. I put on a Phil Collins Blu Ray concert "Live at Montreux" 2004. It begins with 10 minutes of Drums (forgive me, but I cranked it up) and I entered audio Nirvana and felt like I was there.

Gary

You and me both buster. a bit of fun does't hurt anyone and we like to have it as well.
enjoy sir. you don't need my help, just wanted to give your fingers a rest.

Just did the Jeff Buckley track. Shit that amp sounds quite bit like my Cornford with my humbucker'd Les Paul when set to a slightly hard, clear sound, I'm f*cking amazed he had the guts to play with such an amp at those settings. It is a distraction. I wouldn't do it. But then again I don't play live very often. Apart from to the neighbours on an acoustic without their consent:)

I didn't mean to give the impression that the MC1.2KW's are inadequate. I am quite impressed with their performance in the early stages of my listening. However, When pushing heavy bass content into the system with large passive speakers some excess heat is going to happen. In his demo theater, Mike Ware uses passive bi-amping with two of the MC1.2KW's per speaker and he's reporting excellent results.

Gary

Just did the Jeff Buckley track. Shit that amp sounds quite bit like my Cornford with my humbucker'd Les Paul when set to a slightly hard, clear sound, I'm f*cking amazed he had the guts to play with such an amp at those settings. It is a distraction. I wouldn't do it. But then again I don't play live very often. Apart from to the neighbours on an acoustic without their consent:)

I started on guitar in the 60's with a Lyle and small amp. The hum didn't seem out of place. looking at video of the concert you see how small the room is. Not long after his first album was a hit, Buckley died in a car accident. This maybe a result of what they had to work with. About 5 years ago I put this into my standard test pieces.

Gary

Hi Gary,

With all due respect, I hope you will eventually discuss the merits of the speaker versus how loud you play the speaker and its impact on amp meltdowns.

My guess is that's what most folks on this forum would like to hear.

But, if you choose the latter, that's fine with me. I'm sure there are those who will enjoy that narrative.

Best,

Gordon

Hi Gary,

With all due respect, I hope you will eventually discuss the merits of the speaker versus how loud you play the speaker and its impact on amp meltdowns.

My guess is that's what most folks on this forum would like to hear.

But, if you choose the latter, that's fine with me. I'm sure there are those who will enjoy that narrative.

Best,

Gordon

Gordon, I will certainly do that but by starting with the McIntosh's I introduced one too many variables and so I will do this after I switch to the Brystons. My normal listening volumes are probably not much different than most. I have played some pieces at various volumes as I am interested in how the speakers play at those volumes. For example, my Prodigy's bass drops off at low volume and I have to boost the bass to compensate. This appears not to be an issue with the Neoliths. I will also do some comparisons between other speakers that I own, have owned or I am very familiar with. Some of these posts will be coming next week.

Gary

Last edited:
Hola Gary.:bowdown: We, members of the forum, also are very worried due to the high SPL and the super power amps that you are using. Remember that we do not have spare parts for our ears. :(If you damage them, there is a none return path. Because everything is crystal clear at high level, this does not means that you could not hurt them. Please, excuse my dare to say this, but I rather be a spoiler, than have a good friend with a hearing loss. Be careful. 110dB its a jet taking off at 500 feet of distance. I also know what are you seeking. Trying to be at the concert hall. But also there, you must protect your ears.

Once, with the Ninth Beethoven's Symphony, at our National Theatre, and having over 200 musicians with the choir, and being at a distance from the stage not more thant 20 feet, with my Ivie portable SPL, I did measured scale C weighted, at the highest peak levels, not more than 93dB!!!! And the feeling of having that many musicians playing and singing at the same time, is unforgettable. The presence, the stage, the whole orchestra, everything...it is impossible to reproduce in our systems yet. Its not the SPL, its the quantity air that was moved. Besides, there is only the air, between the singers and the instruments and your ears.

The rock concerts are reproduced through speakers and there are a lot of distortions, a reason why the recording is made at the output of the recording console.

I wish to you the happiest listening! But be careful!

Back