Negative volume on receiver!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

venkat

Reaction score
hi,

I am running a pair of Mosaics with Pioneer VSX-816. After I make the connections everything works fine, but the volume level on the receiver is shown in negative numbers.

That is say it starts at -60, if I increase volume it shows something like -55,-56,-57....and if I decrease volume it shows something like -63, -64.....

Is this normal or am I doing anything wrong? The speakers seem to be working just fine.

thanks

Seshagiri

Hi Shesagiri,

Nothing is wrong and what you see is typical of most AV receivers. Increasing the volume will "decrease" the negative numbers until you reach "0". For example -40 is louder than -41, etc. If you continue to increase the volume past that point (the "0" reading), the volume display numbers will increase.

In theory (I think), the "0" volume level is supposed to represent a THX standard but that's only a guess.

GG

Last edited:
my lexicon is this way to and it is a stupid system I really hate this!!!
why can they not offer a choice to switch to say 0 - 100

Some preamps do use the "0" (no volume) to whatever volume display.

I agree that it's much more intuitive.

GG

It is quite simply a calibrated dB scale - 0dB (loudest) being reference point, -1dB being 1dB below reference and so on.

My Copland preamp is the same. I like it because it gives you some idea of what is going on - I say "some" because it all depends on amp sensitivities, etc, but it's better than just 1-100 or whatever.

Attachments

• IMG_0098.jpg
    IMG_0098.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:
Just realised I focused on the incorrect thing! Damn auto-focus! Since Justin has raised the bar in images I won't leave it at that - try again!

Attachments

• IMG_.jpg
    IMG_.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:
As far as I remember the negative numbers are decibels of attenuation, 0dB is full output. For power amplifier 3 dB is twice the power and for preamp 6db is twice the voltage.

Back